It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4 weeks-700- shooting higher

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
4 weeks-700- shooting higher [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 10:49
I have been reading all the experiences and inspirational stories for past 6 weeks . It's my turn to thank everybody for sharing their advice and stories. I took my GMAT this morning and scored 700. It's much lower than what I really wanted but I guess I am gonna have to step up my game before I can score higher.

Here are my big takeaways which don't get mentioned often enough.

1. GMAT OG is crucial but a bit basic compared to GMATprep software. I have taken GMATprep software tests 3 times each and have encountered more than 85% new questions each time.
3. DS in Number properties is extremely crucial if you plan on scoring high in Quant.
4. 800score tests are often mentioned as tough, but I felt their tests were more on par with original GMAT.

I am not sure if my score will get me into the programs I want to get in. I plan to venture into Investment Management and would like to get into a top school. Suggestions anyone??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: 4 weeks-700- shooting higher [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 13:39
If you talk to the admissions committee of any top school - they'll tell you that the GMAT is not the ONLY measure of your application competitiveness. It is definitely a significant measure. A score of 700 puts you in the competitive category. What was the score breakdown ? If you managed to score above the 80th percentile in both Quant and Verbal - you should not worry about your score at all and rather focus on the essays and the rest of the application package.

Getting into a top program is mostly dependent on your leadership potential. As long as you can demonstrate that you have that ability in you to lead and succeed, you should be able to make it.

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 14:24
Pradeep,
Thank you for the insight. The breakdown was Q48 V37. Fatigue brought me down :( at the end in verbal. For lot of SC questions I felt like a deer in headlights. I am above 80% in both and overall score is 90%. I am an international student as far as B schools are concerned and there are very few schools offering loans without a citizen cosigner. I thought getting a higher score might improve my chances of getting into these schools. Do you have any suggestions around good schools and their loan programs. My focus areas are Finance/IB/Investment Management.

Thanks
mmmmba
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 15:22
mmmmba wrote:
1. GMAT OG is crucial but a bit basic compared to GMATprep software. I have taken GMATprep software tests 3 times each and have encountered more than 85% new questions each time.
3. DS in Number properties is extremely crucial if you plan on scoring high in Quant.

I absolutely agree with you on these 2 points.

GMATPrep software had tougher questions compared to OG, especially in quant.

Also, Data Sufficiency (especially in number properties) get tested again and again along with inequalities.

How did you master DS in Number Properties?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 19:53
BearStearner
I wouldn't say I mastered DS . I just did GMATprep over and over again? I made it a point to sniff for tricks even when answer seemed obvious. In the GMAT today I changed my answer from (c) to (B) many times after some deliberation in my head.
Are you already admitted to Cornell? I am also looking into their program. I think their Cayuga Fund is a good opportunity for people going for Investment Management. What do you think about my chances there? I have an IT background and planning to switch careers.

mmmmba
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2009, 20:02
mmmmba wrote:
Pradeep,
Thank you for the insight. The breakdown was Q48 V37. Fatigue brought me down :( at the end in verbal. For lot of SC questions I felt like a deer in headlights. I am above 80% in both and overall score is 90%. I am an international student as far as B schools are concerned and there are very few schools offering loans without a citizen cosigner. I thought getting a higher score might improve my chances of getting into these schools. Do you have any suggestions around good schools and their loan programs. My focus areas are Finance/IB/Investment Management.

Thanks
mmmmba

Well there's absolutely nothing wrong in aiming for a higher GMAT score. It might not add a ton of value to your application. For admissions officers a 700 and a 730 doesn't make a big deal of difference. If you get around the 99th percentile then that's a different matter.

Regarding loans for international students - If someone in the class of 2011 can comment on the loan aspect, that would be more appropriate. I think all top schools are now offering no co-signer loans international students. I'm sure Yale just approved a no co-signer loan for all international students.

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School, Stanford

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 02:16
congratulations. Good luck on your application process.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 12:36
I would look at schools that are known for finance such as Wharton, Columbia, Stern.....
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2009, 14:18
Thank you everyone for your input.
Re: 4 weeks-700- shooting higher   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2009, 14:18

4 weeks-700- shooting higher

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap