GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 15:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

470 after taking the exam 3 times and "thinking" I am doing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
470 after taking the exam 3 times and "thinking" I am doing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 10:36
Soo.....this has been really tough for me. I have been studying for the gmat since July 2017. It is currently March 2018. I took a test drive exam in July(350). I self taught for the 1st exam actually trying to teach myself (390). Then I took a Kaplan course and jumped to (460). Then after that I took the Gmat again 2 more times and got 460 and 470 (I took a course at a college before the last one). I am really confused as to why my score is not increasing. I feel extremely confident when I do homework. I have taken well over 30 practice exams. I have done thousands of questions from Princeton review to Kaplan to the official guide book and I am not seeing results. My avg quant is 35 avereraging all the practice tests I've taken. My verbal is low. Avg of 20. The problem I'm having is....when I've taken Princeton review Kaplan Manhattan and Veratis prep exams I am getting WELLLL above 500's and in some cases I even got a few scores in the 600's. So I guess my question is what do I do??? Do I take the exam again in another 2 months or like what? Like what can I Do? Because I haven't seen the test questions and answer I don't know WHAT I DON'T KNOW. So I may think I'm doing everything right but it is wrong...so I'm just not sure what to try at this point.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
PS Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 470 after taking the exam 3 times and "thinking" I am doing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 11:11
I would suggest you to go through CR Bible by powerscore... I started using it a few days ago and it explains everything CR in great detail.

I also think you might not be going through the material in depth .. stay active in this forum to understand the workings behind the solution.. whatever books / subscription to videos you have go through them again in topics you are lacking.

Also a last point: try to maintain an error log. ( Something that I haven't tried yet)

When ever you gets question wrong- write down why you got it wrong.. what was your thought process and what was the solution provided. There you may find the answers to the gap between "what you think you know " and what you really do.

All the best for your prep.

Cheers,
Gladi

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
Re: 470 after taking the exam 3 times and "thinking" I am doing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 02:35
Hello my friend

Sorry to hear that you're struggling with the test. You did a lot of practice tests and practice questions, which is absolutely nice. But what i think more important is what you can learn from the question itself, not the question. The total number of questions that i did during my GMAT preparation is roughly around 1100 for both Verbal and Quantitative (I ditched AWA and IR completely :P) Develop strategies to tackle certain kind of question (mixture, weighted average, inequalities..etc..) is critically important, as you can easily find a way to answer similar questions without rely on your "memorization" of the solution.

Another example is the kind of error that you make. During the early period of my preparation, i occasionally find myself answer question incorrectly because i misread the requirements of the question or understand them incorrectly, therefore it's absolutely important for me to learn to read and understand question thoroughly. I think you can do the same to improve your accuracy.

If you want to improve Quant, i absolutely recommend the Quant forum of GMATClub, it's essentially the only source of practice i used for Quant and i scored Q50!. Bunuel is an absolutely legend, he helped countless people in their journey to crack the GMAT Quant section. Checkout the ultimate Quantitative thread made by him and countless of other contributors:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html

I don't really have much to help you with Verbal. As i have no real strategy that can be consider "effective". But i do think Manhattan SC book is a must read for sentence correction. Their critical reasoning and reading comprehension book are nice too, but i don't know if they're the best available in the market.

Good luck with your preparation, i'm looking foward to hearing your debrief!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 470 after taking the exam 3 times and "thinking" I am doing &nbs [#permalink] 16 Mar 2018, 02:35

470 after taking the exam 3 times and "thinking" I am doing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap