Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [18]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
5 boys and 5 girls randomly select seats around a circular table that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
=>

The easiest way to solve this problem is to find the number of arrangements satisfying the complementary condition that boys and girls are arranged alternately around the table, and subtract this from the total number of arrangements of the boys and girls.

The number of arrangements of n people in a circle is \((n-1)!.\)

So, the total number of arrangements of \(10\) people is \((10-1)! = 9!\)

The number of complementary arrangements is \((5-1)!*5! = 4!*5!\)

Thus, the required probability is \(1 – \frac{[(4!)(5!)]}{(9!)} = 1 – \frac{[(1*2*3*4)}{(6*7*8*9)]} = 1 – \frac{1}{126} = \frac{125}{126}\)

Therefore, E is the answer.
Answer: E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: 5 boys and 5 girls randomly select seats around a circular table that [#permalink]
Kudos
HI Bunuel, EgmatQuantExpert, amanvermagmat, GMATGuruNY, GMATPrepNow, pushpitkc, IanStewart

The easiest way to solve this problem is to find the number of arrangements satisfying the complementary condition that boys and girls are arranged alternately around the table, and subtract this from the total number of arrangements of the boys and girls.

How to find the number of complementary arrangements?

I'm a confused bit in the below steps...

Let boys occupy alternate seat i,e 5! as it is circular arrangement hence (5-1)! = 4!

The remaining alternate seat will be occupied by 5 girls 5!? Here why it can't be (5-1)! = 4!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: 5 boys and 5 girls randomly select seats around a circular table that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:

Yes, I'd find that a confusing way to solve the problem too.

So that we have no girls sitting together, we just need boys and girls to alternate. So we either need a seating arrangement like BGBGBG... or like GBGBGB... Now it doesn't matter if the seats are in a circle or in a triangle or just in a line on a stage - there's no reason to use circular permutation formulas. If we imagine a line of chairs on a stage, there will be 2 arrangements which alternate between boys and girls (or girls and boys). The total number of arrangements possible is 10C5 = (10)(9)(8)(7)(6)/5! = 252, because we just need to choose 5 out of the 10 seats for the boys. So the probability our arrangement alternates is 2/252 = 1/126, and the probability it doesn't is 125/126.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [1]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
5 boys and 5 girls randomly select seats around a circular table that [#permalink]
Bookmarks
We don't have any reference point until boys sit, hence the [\(B_1 B_2 B_3 B_4 B_5\)] pattern count as same for any rotation.
Hence total seating combination for boys= 5!/5=4!

Now, once you fixed the seat for the boys, you actually have the reference point now. Hence [\(G_1 G_2 G_3 G_4 G_5\)] gonna count as different for every rotation.
Hence total seating combinations of girls =5!

The top 2 cases count as same but bottom two cases count as different in the following figure. But as IanStewart said that the shape of the seating pattern doesn't matter, if you have to find the probability. So you can treat this case as linear arrangement. But if you have to find the number of combinations, it will matter.

NandishSS wrote:
HI Bunuel, EgmatQuantExpert, amanvermagmat, GMATGuruNY, GMATPrepNow, pushpitkc, IanStewart

How to find the number of complementary arrangements?

Let boys occupy alternate seat i,e 5! as it is circular arrangement hence (5-1)! = 4!

The remaining alternate seat will be occupied by 5 girls 5!? Here why it can't be (5-1)! = 4!

Attachments

f.png
f.png [ 20.74 KiB | Viewed 5655 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [4]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos