Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:39 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 530 on first attempt, target is 650. Feel dreadful, need advice! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 5hawne3,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) In a prior post, you stated that you were planning to take the GMAT near the end of 2021. Did you take the Official GMAT at that time (and if you did, then how did you score?)?
I did not take the Official GMAT at that time. I remember I did take a 570 mock (Q42 V27) after quick review of math concepts for 1 month (accum time ~ 16hrs). I then was diagnosed with major depression so it was like a setback and I completely withdrew from studying to focus on mental health.
2) Over the last 3 months, what type of study routine were you following? How many hours did you typically study each week (and how much time did you put in when you had 'slowed down')?
During that 3 months, I studied and practiced on my own using the materials I listed. But honestly I spent like 1-2 hours each night after work or maybe 3 hours during weekend (Accum time should be around 40-45 hours) I must say I'm not a very vigorous student, I'm not the ones that sit for 3hrs straight without touching my phone or getting distracted by other stuff.
During slowed down time (mid-Jun to mid-Aug - so 2 months, my bad I said it's just 1 month), I just spent like 2-3 hours a week to scan by questions I got wrong as I got busy with work and had to travel for field trips.
On an important note, I'm working as a data analyst and I know it's such a shame to have this terrible Quant performance. But I guess, heavy reliance on computing tools may also dull the ability to approach math intuitively, at least for me.

3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks?
From my official test day:
D-19 afternoon: GMAC 720 Q47 V42. Full test length with order Q>V>IR>AWA. I know this is unrealistic score right away because I met 1/3 questions in my practice test.
D-10 afternoon: GMAC 700 Q44 V42. Full test length with order Q>V>IR>AWA. I still see practiced questions in verbal section so it's unreal. I did pause 1 question on Quant section.
D-5 late afternoon: MGMAT 610 Q38 V35. Full test length with order Q>V>IR>AWA. It's near the test day and I don't see any repeated questions so I think this is more accurate.

4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
My highest hope so far: Foster (but it's too far from my reach after this)
Then: Simon, Olin WashU, Cox, Babson.

Since you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com

Hi Rich,
Thanks for replying. I already ordered the ESR, will post here soon once it arrives. This is to provide more information as per your question (my answers are in blue).

GmatKnightTutor thanks for advice. I'll take a closer look at the ESR.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 530 on first attempt, target is 650. Feel dreadful, need advice! [#permalink]
Hi,
This is my ESR for your evaluation. Thanks in advance!
Attachments

5hawne3_ESR.pdf [764.44 KiB]
Downloaded 44 times

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22079 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 5hawne3,

Honestly, your low score seems to have a lot to do with how things went during your GMAT rather than anything else. So, why don't you regroup and then take an official GMAT practice exam? If things go well, you can retake the GMAT ASAP.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi 5hawne3,

Since you have a specific list of Schools that you are interested in, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to implement those suggestions, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

I've also sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
www.empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hii 5hawne3,

How did improve your SC score?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mrtripathyy wrote:
Hii 5hawne3,

How did improve your SC score?

Posted from my mobile device

hi, I still need to work on SC timing but the materials I used are Manhattan's SC Guide and OG's practiced questions. You can also check out the Gmatclub's GMAT Ultimate Grammar. I find the two books are quite similar.
I also practiced questions by topics (for eg. 10 Modifiers questions then move on to 10 Pronouns questions). It's best to go through all topics if you have time, but if not then the focus can be prioritized for: Subject/Verb Agreement, Modifiers, Pronouns, Verb/Tense Form, Parallelism, Comparisons. And btw, just go for any other methods that work for you.

rich thanks alot for the thorough ESR analysis
scott thanks for encouraging. I'm regrouping to have a retake!
GMAT Club Bot