GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 08:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

540 to 600+?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
540 to 600+?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 15:11
Hello gmatclub this is my first time posting! It seems like there is a great community here and I am looking for some advice. I started the Veritas prep Live-on demand courses about two months ago. Before I started I took a practice test and scored a 450. I then started the course and followed a suggested schedule for a 3 month plan. I then took another practice test as the study plan suggested and scored a 540 about a month ago. But since then I have taken two more and scored a 490 and 530. I do not not think I should have taken the test so soon from each other but I was just following the calendar. So now I am pretty much done and plan to study 2:1 Quant until my test on April 14th. I am realizing I might have scheduled the test to soon but I still want to take it and plan on studying 2+ hours 6 days a week up until then. Any suggestions on strategies to get my score to around a 630-650 range?
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 540 to 600+?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 10:30
Hi gp2771,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 most recent CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 520 +/- a few points). As such, it's possible that you've gotten 'stuck' at this score 'level.' Raising these scores to a 630+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. By extension, you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? Did you study at all before starting your Course?
2) What study materials have you used so far besides the Course you named?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 15:26
Thank you for replying. And to answer your questions
1) I have studied for two months with no prior studying before starting the course.
2) I have not used any other materials than the Veritas prep books and posts in this forum
3) T1:Q36, V29 T2:Q31, V27 T3: Q34 V29

As far as going to business school I am currently finishing up my undergrad and plan on getting a job first to get some experience. So I dont plan on going for at least three years. I decided to study now because I have a lighter school schedule and used to studying right now. And I do want to apply to schools ranked in the top 25.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 11:45
Hi gp2771,

Choosing to study now - far in advance of when you'll actually plan to apply - is a smart choice. Since you're not facing an imminent deadline, you have the flexibility to adjust your timeline (as needed). Based on your CAT Scores, you certainly seem to be performing in a consistent range - so you're handling certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you're also making certain consistent mistakes. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's possible that you will be able to correct some of these issues on your own (as you continue to study). As such, you should probably finish the current Course that you're working through before you make any big changes to your routine.

1) At this point, have you actually completed the Course?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 17:38
1) I am currently finishing up reviewing my last practice exam/noting areas where I consistently struggle. Then within the next couple days I will finish with the AWA and Integrated Reasoning lesson, the last lesson in the Veritas prep course.
2) Going forward I plan on studying 10-15 hours a week, Balancing light undergrad course work with more Gmat studying and vice-versa when finals start to come around.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 18:02
Hi gp2771,

I assume that there will be a period of time in which you're going to focused solely on your finals. When will that be and for how long? I think that you should finish your current GMAT Course, then take 1 more CAT. Once you have that result, you should post back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 15:00
So my finals are near the end of April and will probably be about a good solid two weeks that will be used for preparing/taking finals

And I have rescheduled my test to June 23rd
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 17:13
Hi gp2771,

While GMAT skills tend to 'fade' over time (if you're not continuing to practice them), it's not likely that you would 'lose' too much by limiting your studies during the two weeks that you say you'll need for your final exams. As it stands, there's probably not much that we can do about that either way - since your finals are a priority. Thus, I'll stick with the prior advice at this point - finish your current Course and take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT. We can use that result to put together a study plan going forward.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 540 to 600+? &nbs [#permalink] 21 Mar 2018, 17:13

540 to 600+?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap