Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4617 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: 570 - > 690 [#permalink]
yns wrote:
My experience with GMAT was so unusual, that i have decided to write about it.

I started my preparation quite early, almost 2 months before the appointment. I did not know much about which books are the best etc, so I choose Kaplam premier program, because I was familiar with this publisher from my CFA studies. I went through all the Kaplan book except exams. Then I took Gmat Prep exam and scored 650. There was 2 weeks left so I took a vacation and begun to study the official guide, I spend most of my time on quant part, because for verbal part i simply run out of time. 2 days before the exam I retook GMAT Prep and scored again 650. I was a bit annoyed, and I felt that it was much more harder to concentrate than during the first try. Then in the last 2 days I intesively tried to revise all the material.
In the day before the exam I studied all the day. At evening when I was supposed to go to sleep, but I could not. I studied till 1 am and then went to bed. I was very tired, but I just could not fall asleep.
Sometimes after a stresfull day at work I go jogging, this gives me a better sleep, so at that night i decided to jog. at 4 a.m. i left my appartment and ran 3km. Then I went back to bed, but i still could not fall asleep. at 6 a.m. i realized that it will not work and resumed to revise gmat material.
as a result, i stayed awake and was "studying" up till the exam at 11am. at that time i felt like in a dream or under drugs, but i still had not lost my confidence.
During the exam I was frustrated because the room was quite noisy ( I was used to solve questions in silence) secondly, I had forgotten my mobile phone in my pocket and somebody decided to call me. This paralyzed me for some 5 min as i was rushing to push some button on my phone so that the sound goes away.
In general I was seriously runing out of time. for both quant part and verbal part I answered at random at least 5 questions at the end.
My expectations were 650 and AWA 4.5. ( the requirement for the school I apply is 600 and 4.5)

MY results shocked me: 570 (Q46 V23) AWA 4.0

I was so deeply depressed, but somehow I managed to schedule a retake.
Due to my depression I was reluctant to study - for more than a month i did not do anything. I actually wanted even to cancel my appointment, but a friend of mine persuaded me to try again. Before my reexam I realized that it is stupid to loose the 250$ in such way and I pushed myself to revise the material approximately 4 hours. I also wrote several essays.
This time i had a good sleep and i on the exam day I left my mobile phone at home.

my score was 690!!! (Q48, V36) AWA 5.5 !

I could not believe my eyes! ( i had already accepted that my abilities are low and there is now way I can get more than 620- 640)

I Hope my experience will help others to avoid the mistakes I made.

wow ... I am happy for you. which schools are you considering to appy?

Congrats again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ugimba wrote:

Congrats again.

Thank you:)

I am targeting scandinavian master programs. They have quite high quality and most importantly - education in Scandinavia is for free! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
yns wrote:
ugimba wrote:

Congrats again.

I am targeting scandinavian master programs. They have quite high quality and most importantly - education in Scandinavia is for free! :)

so you are saying you can get free education at a top school in scandanavia with your score? that is even nicer ...things are getting better and better for ya :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ugimba wrote:
yns wrote:
ugimba wrote:

Congrats again.

so you are saying you can get free education at a top school in scandanavia with your score? that is even nicer ...things are getting better and better for ya :-D

690 is a decent score, but due to financial crisis the average scores of applicants have gone up dramatically. There are thousands of students who cannot get a job and are preparing to take masters ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:

Quote:
690 is a decent score, but due to financial crisis the average scores of applicants have gone up dramatically. There are thousands of students who cannot get a job and are preparing to take masters ;)

No .. I didn't mean anything less about your score . it is fantastic score ... I just wanted to know that you can get into top school in scandanavia with your score.

you raised somuch in your verbal score. what extra things did you do from first attempt to second attempt?

Goodluck with your app process.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ugimba wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

No .. I didn't mean anything less about your score . it is fantastic score ... I just wanted to know that you can get into top school in scandanavia with your score.

you raised somuch in your verbal score. what extra things did you do from first attempt to second attempt?

Goodluck with your app process.

As I said, I really did nothing! My previous score was so low because I did not rest well before the exam, I was too nervous and because I was not used to distractions.
I did not realize how important it is to rest well and to have a clear mind before taking the exam. It can seriously affect you abilities and ultimately your score.

I only wrote severa essays, thats it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
yns thanks for sharing your story!

I also have trouble getting a good nights sleep before a big test and usually don't get to sleep before 2am on a normal day.

It's interesting to see how rest, focus, and composure can drastically effect your score!

Congratulations on a great score!
and thank you for motivating me to get some sleep before the big day!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts