Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 580 -> 640 in 3 weeks, should I take another test for =>700? [#permalink]
Hey rich, thanks for your reply, I really needed smeone to reply me or at least to say yes its possible, I know I am sounding naive, but this is how it is when one hits the bottom of his confidence level.
Regarding, study hours, I have a pure consultancy job(tech) , I work for one of the BIG4 ( I want to use that in my applications, though thats a different topic altogether). So, yeah although the official job-hrs is 9-6, very often I need to attend calls at odd hours, or to stay long in office, or to work over weekend. Most of the days I return home by 7-7:30 PM, so simple maths says its about 3-4 hrs (including next morning 30-60 mins) a day (non nonstop). What is important here, and that I feel when I look back at the course of preparation I followed till date, the study hrs and study-mood have been very 'sporadic'. I want to change that but I am not sure how can I do that without getting the eyebrows of my boss raised.
And you are correct to say that I should not have tried so many CATs in such a short span of time. But then, my primary target was to gain exam aptitude; I was under misconception that its only the aptitude issue causing me lack of concentration and thereby the poor score. But, now I realize very well that its not just aptitude, its verbal as well (non-mechanical behavioral verbal, as I mentioned earlier).

I assessed my dates considering the the job demands, festive season (in India), targeted college deadlines and other personal demands, and found that I have 2 windows for a retake : Nov end or Dec end. In India, GMAT test center is not a common sight, and I might need to book a slot well in advance (considering the imbalance between no. of candidates and no. of slots).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi rich,
I got the OG-Verbal (orange) book, and started practicing verbal from the scratch, from Easy -> Med -> Hard.
However, it would have been great to have a list of questions of OG-Verbal indicating which one falls under easy category and which all under hard and so on, like there is a list of the OG-verbal (black book) questions.
I tried to find any such list for the Orange book, could not get any. :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TheGreatGMATDream,

While you were able to improve by 60 points relatively quickly, the next 60+ points will be a bit more difficult to come by. While you could pick up all of those points in the Verbal section, you might find it easier to pick up some in the Quant and some in the Verbal. Many Test Takers find it difficult to score 700+ when using a 'book-heavy' study approach though, so you might want to invest in some new non-book resources.

As I mentioned earlier, 6-7 weeks is a pretty good 'chunk' of study time. With an end-of-November Test Date, you would have about 4 weeks though, so you would have to be efficient about how you worked for the next month. I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next week or so, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections). That score result will give us an idea of the adjustments that you will have to make.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks rich, you are the savior!

Yes, as you said that the verbal preparation can not be only textbook dependent, I have already thought about it, and planned to make a day more oriented around good-English, example : reading some novels as suggested by bb

For the Nov end plan, I have made a failsafe plan B. I will schedule next test at Nov end, and going to kickstart my preparation today (including textbooks, behavioral, and with CATs with a gap of 5-7 days as suggested by you). Nov End = 4 weeks. By 3 weeks time I can have a clear understanding (with the help of CATs) whether I would be able to make it 700+ at Nov end (7 days from that day). If not, then I will reschedule it to Dec end (with a penalty of USD50).

It all starts today! Will keep you posted. 8-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TheGreatGMATDream,

I think you have a good plan in place. It's important to note that GMAC is pretty 'strict' about the rescheduling rule though - you have to log on at least 7 FULL DAYS before your scheduled appointment if you want to reschedule it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot