GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 07:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

600 - what you SHOULD NOT do

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
600 - what you SHOULD NOT do  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 05:58
at first I was not going to post this up because I was not sure if my story will be of value to anyone. but it's just my 2 cents so here goes.

My background : F, Asian (not a math nerd), 23 y/o, BA in business management, 6mo working experience.
Math foundation :
Next to 0, I struggle with Maths even in my native tongue but not because I hate it but because it never seems to "click" in my brain. Before the GMAT I've never, I mean NEVER, studied high school Maths in English. I excelled in math-related courses in my BA, but I really think that GMAT maths is VERY DIFFERENT from the maths I got in Uni. Therefore, if I were to take the GMAT the next time, I would really dedicate more time to FAMILIARIZE myself with Maths in English.
Verbal Foundation:
I am comfortable with reading and writing in English, but GMAT tests not just regular English, so I really paid attention to SC ( I used Manhattan SC guide and Hack the GMAT, SC)
Books & error logs:
- MGMAT series
- OG 2018 , OG 2019, + OG quant review, verbal review
- GMAT club guide book
- Error logs

Some takeaways that you should not do:
1. NOT familiarize yourself with foundation high school Maths in English.
This is my weakness honestly. If I had at least 1-2 months time I would spend them on studying the very basic definitions: what is a polygon, how to calculate the length of a diagonal, what is C or P, etc, so that my mind wouldn't freak out just from reading the question.
1. NOT having enough time to prepare
My "date" with the GMAT was exactly 63 days from the day I started studying. Total time taken: 120 - 150 hours.
2. NOT emphasizing your strength (e.g Focus on Verbal more than Quant)
I was very comfortable with Verbal and now I wish I didn't neglect it, but Quant really took my attention away. I took my first GMATPrep test 1 w/o knowing anything about the exam and it was 550 V34, Q31. I always knew that Maths would cause me the most problems, so I did concentrate the majority of my time (1.5 months - 3-4 hours a day) on studying for Quant.In the last mock I got Q44 (big jump), V37. But in the real GMAT I only got Q38, V35.
If I had dedicated equal time to Quant and Verbal then maybe Verbal might have saved my sorry ass.
3. NOT making GMAT a life-or-death situation
Because my application doesn't require the GMAT, I was okay with not submitting my GMAT. The reason I took the GMAT was I wanted to increase my own competitiveness.

TL;DR :
If you are not familiar with Maths in English, please spend time (at least 1 month) on reviewing the basic definitions, equations, etc
Emphasize your strength
Spend more time to study for GMAT

I have a question:
Did anyone get rejected for the Master program at University of Lausanne (Switzerland), could you describe your application and the cause of your rejection?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.79
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 600 - what you SHOULD NOT do  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 11:44
Thanks for sharing your story, it really heloed. How many hours you used to study daily?

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: 600 - what you SHOULD NOT do  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 10:28
Sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Thank you for sharing your story.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 600 - what you SHOULD NOT do   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2019, 10:28

600 - what you SHOULD NOT do

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics