GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

640 - Is it worth applying at HKUST or wait another year?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
640 - Is it worth applying at HKUST or wait another year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 13:40
My profile is detailed below -

1. Did my engineering in Electronics and Communication but switched to IT sector when it came to job prospects.
2. IT Support Engineer - worked with Ericsson, Accenture and HCL in India and have experience of more than 5.5 years.
3. Aspired to secure admissions this year but scored 640 in GMAT so in a dilemma if I should apply at HKUST/CEIBS and try my chance out there or maybe attempt GMAT again to secure admissions elsewhere.
4. About the college preferences, personally wanted to pursue MBA from Asian/Australian Univ.
5. Avoiding US and UK for now as not too sure due to stricter Visa laws and too less of a tenure of visa after degree completion(12 months after MBA vs 27 months after MS in US specifically - Correct me if I am wrong). Moreover, too less of scholarships in MBA course vs MS courses.
6. In ECA terms - have been an avid debater and speaker at school level but didn't pursued much in college or during work.

My biggest concerns comes down to the fact than I am 27 years engineer based here in India and it gives me a cold feet when I think to move out but at the same time, I know I want to get out of my comfort zone to pursue MBA. Again, I also am not sure if I shall pursue a 1-year or a 2-year MBA course right now. And I am currently not sure as to which profile shall I be targeting at which could have helped me narrow down my list of preferred colleges.

Any leads as to how shall I approach taking decisions here!?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: 640 - Is it worth applying at HKUST or wait another year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 14:26
HI. You are from a competitive demographic and being 40 points below the average makes it a bit tough unless you can demonstrate great undergrad GPA and leadership/profile. The school's range is 580 - 710 so they don't shy away from competitive lower-scoring applicants.

One thing I don't know is whether you get a work permit after HKUST or how that ends up working out.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
Re: 640 - Is it worth applying at HKUST or wait another year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 17:19
bb wrote:
HI. You are from a competitive demographic and being 40 points below the average makes it a bit tough unless you can demonstrate great undergrad GPA and leadership/profile. The school's range is 580 - 710 so they don't shy away from competitive lower-scoring applicants.

One thing I don't know is whether you get a work permit after HKUST or how that ends up working out.

Hello bb,

Appreciate your feedback! I will seek help from an alumni from HKUST as well for that matter.

Would you suggest a suitable approach towards deciding which B school should I be aiming for in general.
Th thing is my grad school was a pretty mediocre one and I intend to now be in a B school where I could establish good networking and pursue a career further in IT operations to leverage my relevant experience.
Also, since I don't happen to have much practical experience in business learning as of now, will it be appropriate to pursue a one year MBA course? I considered Melbourne Business School as well but again I feel I should first appear for GMAT again to improve my scores.(scored Q49,V27-640)

Would you be able to suggest which colleges shall I be thinking of in case if I delay my admissions for another year or so, thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 640 - Is it worth applying at HKUST or wait another year?   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2016, 17:19

640 - Is it worth applying at HKUST or wait another year?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate