GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 04:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640, then 620 and finally 710

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
640, then 620 and finally 710 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Dec 2017, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Finally done with my GMAT and got a satisfactory score :-)
I first gave GMAT 2 years back and in spite of preparing for 3 months scored a measly 640. Was very disappointed with my score as I was dreaming of applying to the top colleges. I gave it up then and continued with my life.

GMAT 1 - 640, Q44 V34 :cry:

However, the GMAT bug didn't leave me and around May this year I decided to give it another shot but procrastination and work took over and I finally managed to start studying around October. I booked December 2nd 2017 as my date, coincidentally, exactly 2 years after my 1st GMAT attempt on Dec 2nd 2015.
Was hovering around 680-710 in the mocks and was pretty confident of scoring well but then got the biggest disappointment of the year on submitting the score.

GMAT 2 - 620 QV(does it even matter?) :hurt: :sick: :cry:

I immediately canceled my score and spent the following two days highly dejected and depressed. I felt like a failure for not having been able to crack the exam in spite of so much preparation. I vowed never to give the GMAT again and started applying with the 640 score
Compelled by my girlfriend to give it one last attempt, I reluctantly booked another appointment for 24th December but I promised myself that I won't give one exam the power over my confidence and I will just give it this last time to get some closure. I hardly even prepared during these 22 days as I was swamped with work. I decided to just give additional GmatPrep tests to be in touch with the exam format and score 680 and 640 in the 2 tests.

D-Day on 24th December came soon and I decided to just get it done with like another task in life. This time I took an early appointment of 9 AM as I decided to enjoy the rest of the day irrespective of the outcome. Surprisingly, the test went better than I'd anticipated with enough time to comfortably complete both sections. IR was bad and I knew I had screwed it up but was happy about the other sections. I knew I had a chance of improving my score and waited with anticipation for the final outcome and clicked submit and got the best gift of the year

GMAT 3 - 710 Q47 V40 :angel: :cool:

I couldn't wait to get out of the center and inform the only person who pushed me to give another attempt, my girlfriend. The score has surely opened up a lot of avenues for me and I am happy I could finally tame the GMAT animal and get the desired outcome.

To all my fellow GmatClubers who are yet to give their GMAT, I would say just one thing - NEVER GIVE UP
The GMAT is conquerable and it just requires you to master a few strategies and work on your time.

All the best!! :thumbup: :-)

Originally posted by abhisu30 on 26 Dec 2017, 01:59.
Last edited by abhisu30 on 26 Dec 2017, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 640, then 620 and finally 710 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
abhisu30

Congrats for fighting spirit and +1 :thumbup: kudos for your girlfriend for that final push!!

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you did in your final attempt that led to this sweet success?
It would also be helpful for fellow members to know what material you used with brief pros and cons you
found useful.

Wishing you all the best for your apps!!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 04:30
This post received
KUDOS
adkikani wrote:
abhisu30

Congrats for fighting spirit and +1 :thumbup: kudos for your girlfriend for that final push!!

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you did in your final attempt that led to this sweet success?
It would also be helpful for fellow members to know what material you used with brief pros and cons you
found useful.

Wishing you all the best for your apps!!

Thank you adkikani for the kudos and kind words :grin: :thumbup:
I had prepared really hard before my 2nd attempt on 2nd December 2017. Will elaborate on the same:

Basics:
Start with mastering the basics. The GMAT tests your ability to master a limited set of topics in both Quants and Verbals.
I started with Manhattan prep Books for mastering CR and SC basics. RC is similar to CR in a lot of ways but needs you to utilize your working memory to remember the gist of each paragraph. Reading a lot helps you develop this skill. Try to read proactively and understand what the author wants to convey through each paragraph and how the paragraphs are linked together to tell a story.
For Quants, I referred to Kaplan books to master the basics. I focussed specifically on my weak areas and explored multiple online resources to clear my doubts in each topic

Strategy and Timing:
The two most important things in GMAT. You have approximately 2 mins to solve each question. However, the difficulty level keeps varying and it is paramount that you have a fixed strategy for every section, otherwise you will end up wasting a lot of time trying to get each question right. Each of the 5 question types can be tackled with a fixed strategy. You will find innumerable resources online explaining various strategies for every section. It is up to you to find the ones that suit you and test it out till you are confident enough. For my third attempt, I just went through my strategies and timing and did well just by following what I knew would work. The best way to test out the strategy and devise a time plan for the test is what brings me to my next point.

Practice. Practice. Practice
The more you practice, the closer you will get to finding the perfect strategy that works for you. Go through every wrong answer and try to find out how you could have solved it correctly. Give as many sectional or complete mock tests as possible. I personally used Veritas prep to device my strategy and work on my time. I also used OG, Gmatclub forums and free online resources to practice questions of varying difficulty levels. Always practice with time in mind and try to solve every question in less than 2 mins. In case you cant, train your mind to let go of the questions that you cannot solve and move on. This is a very important attitude you need to develop to reach your dream score. Some GMAT questions play games with your mind and compel you to waste more time than required. Stick to your timelines.

Its Just another Test
I messed up in the 2nd attempt mainly because I couldn't hold my nerves. I had given the exam so much importance that it was a make or break for me. The pressure just got to me on D Day and I messed up all my strategies. Do not let this happen to you. Treat GMAT as just another exam and stop studying a day before the exam. Do anything but study on the last day. Just remember that even if you fare poorly you can re-give the GMAT unlike many other challenges we face in life. It's just another test at the end of the day.

Some of the resources I used during my preparation:

GMAT OG
Veritas Prep Tests
Kaplan Prep
Manhattan Prep (CR and SC) (Best book for SC strategy)
GMAT Prep (Exam Pack 1 and 2)

Finally, a big thank you to Gmatclub and the awesome people active on it. Gmatclub has been my goto place for everything GMAT and MBA.
Here's wishing my fellow gmatclubbers all the very best for their GMATs. Feel free to hit me up in case you guys/gals need any help. :-) :grin: :thumbup:

Goodluck & Godspeed
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: 640, then 620 and finally 710 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for posting! Such stories are motivating!

After a 680(49Q/34V) in my first attempt (this Nov), I am giving it a try this 31st. Currently, Unhappy with mock scores (660-690) range except for 710 in a couple of tests. Hope reach that 700+ mark.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 22:24
This post received
KUDOS
abhisu30 wrote:
Its Just another Test
I messed up in the 2nd attempt mainly because I couldn't hold my nerves. I had given the exam so much importance that it was a make or break for me. The pressure just got to me on D Day and I messed up all my strategies. Do not let this happen to you. Treat GMAT as just another exam and stop studying a day before the exam. Do anything but study on the last day. Just remember that even if you fare poorly you can re-give the GMAT unlike many other challenges we face in life. It's just another test at the end of the day.

Though everybody knows this, we put undue pressure on ourselves while preparing for the test and giving it.

Congrats abhisu30 on getting GMAT out of the way and All the best for the application phase.

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

640, then 620 and finally 710   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2017, 22:24

640, then 620 and finally 710

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR APRIL
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until April 30
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap