It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 First attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Law)
CAT Tests
650 First attempt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 21:58
Hi everyone

I took my first GMAT practice test a few days ago and scored 650 (Q41, V38). This was after one revision of the Mahattan Quant materials and no verbal revision.
Actual test is booked for the 30th of December. Since my Verbal is already in the high 80s, I won't be spending much more time on verbal revision and would like to use the remaining 5 weeks wisely to boost my quant so that I can achieve a balanced 80/80 score. I have been doing some research but feel a bit overwhelmed in terms of options, strategies, materials and methods out there. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be very appreciated!

Thanks and good luck!

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3694 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: 650 First attempt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 14:44
Hi gianlucabac,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) When you took this CAT, did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Law)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 21:56
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for getting back to me! To your questions:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied: I have studied for 5 weeks. Usually around 2-3 hours a day, one day off.
2) What study materials have you used so far? Only the Manhattan Guides (which includes practising with some of the OG problems)
3) When you took this CAT, did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? I skipped the Essay, but did the IR section.

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? 720
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School? GMAT permitting in January. Otherwise no latter than end of Feb.
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?: In order of preference: LBS, HEC, Oxford/SDA Bocconi (tie)

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 11:13
Hi gianlucabac,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become. Test Day involves a variety of really specific steps and parameters (including steps before the Test even begins - such as leaving your home, traveling, etc.). Every factor matters, including the psychological ones. When you sit down on Test Day, you KNOW that you're going to be in the Computer Lab for about 4 hours - but if you're just taking individual sections (or taking a CAT without the Essay and IR sections), then you KNOW that you'll be done in 1-2 hours. The attitude and energy that you use during practice will NOT be a match for what you'll need on Test Day, so it's not a proper way to practice. As such, from now on, you should plan to take your CATs in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

That all having been said, Quant Scaled Scores in the low-Q40s mean that you likely know most of the 'math rules' well enough, but you're making some little mistakes and missing out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. Thus, while a certain amount of content review would likely be beneficial, your focus should be on patterns, Tactics and the little 'secrets' to the GMAT. Given your timeline and goals, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so it should fit your schedule nicely. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: 650 First attempt   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2017, 11:13

650 First attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap