It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 GMAT 2.8 GPA from William and Mary

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

650 GMAT 2.8 GPA from William and Mary [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2008, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
Those are my basic stats. My GPA was overall garbage, obviously, and the bane of my existence. The GMAT score has alleviated my fears somewhat in terms of at least being competitive at good schools.

Here's my quandry. My GMAT score breaks down VERY unevenly. I scored in the 97th percentile on verbal, and the bloody 46th percentile on math. I know. Re-taking the GMAT is a potential problem because there is no way my verbal will go anywhere but down, meaning I would have to REALLY dramatically improve my math performance to bring my overall score up from 650. So I figure my time is better spent bolstering the rest of my application.

So, here's my plan. My grades in college trended upward consistently over 4 years. My major GPA in History at William and Mary was a 3.4, and my GPA for the last 2 years was a 3.09, at least. W&M is a top tier school and was very difficult (I know, because I've taken Microecon and Precalculus at UMass Boston and got 2 easy A's...contrary to popular opinion, quite frankly, there is a BIG difference in terms of degree of difficulty between a top tier school and an unranked school). I'm taking Calculus at Harvard right now. I will then take Macroecon and probably an accounting course in the spring. I've already got a B in Statistics from W&M, but I might re-take that at Harvard to get an A.

I'm also getting involved with some extra-curriculars.

The additional coursework with all As will, I hope, prove I am not who I was in my first 2 years in college.
650 GMAT is a solid, competitive score for most people (assuming you aren't an Indian IT guy...those guys need to break 700 because they are a dime a dozen) at top programs. My job now is convincing adcoms at those schools in the 10-30 rank range that I can do the work, but most importantly, that my experience is unique and valuable. I've worked for the past 2 years for a consulting firm almost exclusively in Baton Rouge, LA on a massive housing recovery effort (we manage a $10 billion recovery program for the 250K people that lost homes in Hurricane Katrina). I was promoted to a team leader position in that program. That is what I will use to get in, and I hope to draw the adcoms away from the GPA GMAT stats and get them to say "OK, well, he's probably smart enough to handle the work, and even though his stats aren't anything to write home about, his work is much more interesting than the 5 million essays I've read today from these IT guys who all seem to think I care about how he/she resolved some database glitch."

I realize my stats are probably going to keep me out of the Top 10, maybe even top 20. I think my essays could help me crack the top 30. Geez I hope so. Who knows. Any thoughts or people with similar stats?

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 2

Schools: Tepper '11
Re: 650 GMAT 2.8 GPA from William and Mary [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
You can crack the top 30 but your other aspects have to look better than the 650 and the 2.8. You have to have some solid essays and get something more than the run-of-the-mill recommendations. To have something to talk about, you might consider volunteering or doing something extracurricular which is management related. Otherwise you might be better off at a local state school getting scholarships.

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2008, 19:26
I agree with you, work experience is more important than undergrad, but have you only had 2 years of work experience? Waiting another year or two may be beneficial, and may also give you more opportunities to lead. Being a team lead is good experience, but having one leadership experience, katrina or not, is still only one leadership experience. I don't know enough about your work or volunteer experience to offer good advice, but based on your post, putting more leadership roles on your belt will help your case.

(I also work on high profile govenrment initiatives, technical and non-technical, but I still feel it would be beneficial for you)

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2008, 15:14
thanks guys your advice is invaluable. i agree with both of you. thanks again

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1052 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 11:33
some schools allow u to mix and match Quant & Verbal scores. retaking to improve your quant should not impact your high verbal score.

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Kudos [?]: 1052 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 19:25
which schools allow you to mix and match gmat score

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 19:35
Yale and Tuck, I believe.
pallavi79us wrote:
which schools allow you to mix and match gmat score

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 19:55
Thanks a lot your post was very helpful!! :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2008, 20:00
wow that is great information. i've noticed most take your total score per sitting and don't mix and match. will look into tuck and yale. thanks!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 20:06
i agree the more leadership roles the better, but i think you can get a lot of mileage out of one solid leadership role than a bunch of "leadership" roles. you know? i'm sure a lot of people try to parlay their leadership as assistant manager at various mcdonald's franchises as demonstrating a history of leadership, which may be true for like 1 guy out there...but the reality is for most people with such experience, such leadership consisted of smacking subordinates over the head with a spatchula for going to heavy on the ketchup with the Big Macs. y'know what i mean?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 20:27
I would not worry about your verbal score going down significantly, because if you were able to score 97% the first time, you probably have a natural ability for the verbal section. As long as you don't neglect it if you study for a retake, you should be fine.

With a 46% quant, though, you really should retake. Don't give them an easy reason to reject your app. I think good grades in the courses you've been taking since college will definitely help, but I'd ask an admissions consultant (I don't know if there are any in this forum, but I've seen some in others) what s/he thinks.

I agree that a solid leadership position is important, but I don't think anyone applying to b-school would be someone touting their only leadership experience as a year as a fast food chain manager. You're competing against people with a variety of backgrounds, but that's not a likely one!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 07:38
true. i was using that as an extreme example. however after some class visits i have learned that some bschool people have a total of 0 hours leadership experience. these people got in with no management experience whatsoever. and i did talk to restaurant managers which is great but not a far cry from managing a mcdonald's. slightly more impressive. yeah i probably should re-take for the math, you are probably right.

Re: 650 GMAT 2.8 GPA from William and Mary   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2008, 07:38

650 GMAT 2.8 GPA from William and Mary

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap