Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 23:42 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 23:42
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4694 [1]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4145 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: 655 GMAT Focus, is my quant score too low? [#permalink]
Overwhe score is good to apply.. sectional score is not concern...

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM

jmsc_11 wrote:
­Hello All, 
I just took the official GMAT Focus yesterday and I scored a 655 (detailed below), but I fear that my quant score is too low for what most business schools want to see. 
Score Breakdown:
Total 655 (93rd percentile)
Quantitative Reasoning 80 (66th percentile)
Verbal Reasoning 87 (99th percentile) 
Data Insights 80 (86th percentile) 

Is this an unbalanced score distribution and/or is my quant score too low? About me, I am 29 years old, I have 6 years of work experience in the public policy sector doing policy analysis, a bachelor's in political science, and master's in public policy.

I have been studying for the GMAT for almost 9 months and have only managed to improve my quant score from 38th percentile (first original GMAT mock test) to 66th percentile. On my two most recent official mock tests I scored 76th percentile in quant (5 questions wrong), and on the official focus test I also got 5 quant questions wrong. I am not sure why the percentile dropped so much from the mock test to the real one for the same number of wrong answers, but I do plan to retake the test to try for a better quant score. All of my mock test scores are below. 

Official Mock Tests: 
Test 1: Total 645, Q78, V84, DI83
Test 2: Total 705, Q81, V85, DI89
Test 3: Total 625, Q78, V84, DI81
Test 4: Total 655, Q80, V86, DI81
Test 5: Total 645, Q80, V86, DI79
Retake Test 1: Total 755, Q87, V86, DI89
Retake Test 2: Total 705, Q84, V87, DI84 
Retake Test 3: Total 735, Q82, V89, DI88 
Retake Test 4: Total 705, Q82, V89, DI84

I have been using TTP and GMAT Club as well as the streaks method for improving my quant score. I have been doing streaks of 15 easy and medium difficulty questions, and streaks of 13 for hard questions. The easy and medium streaks are no problem, but it does take me some time to achieve hard question streaks. I definitely have some gaps in my knowledge when it comes to difficult questions. I think my main issue is that I still find some quant questions to be too abstract or confusing for me to solve in 2 minutes under test conditions. Any tips you have for improving in the quant section would be greatly appreciated. 
 ­

­@jmsc_11 Business schools will measure your performance on a normalized curve and map you against your peers from your demographic, especially for the quant and verbal sections. If your country normally has a very high quant average, then yes, you may be at a disadvantage. But there is no direct answer to your question about how you should perceive a 655 on GMAT FE. It's an alright score if your profile is differentiated, and you come from a non-overrepresented pool of applicants. But if this is not the case and you are targeting top 15 programs, I would suggest improving further.

Get a free one to one personalized advice session tailored to your specific situation. We do not cap discussion hours with our applicants.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22389 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
­Hi jmsc_11,

I'm glad to see you are using TTP! If you decide to retake the GMAT, here is some additional advice on improving your quant score.

For example, let’s say that you want to practice Number Properties. You can do so by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc.

After each problem set, thoroughly analyze your incorrect questions. For example, if you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question?

By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to fix your weaknesses efficiently and, in turn, improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Here is an article that provides some additional advice:

GMAT Quant Preparation: Top 10 Tips

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37584 posts