Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: 660->710(Q47,V40). Somewhat disappointed. Should I retake? [#permalink]
Waterloo grad I'm guessing? :P How are your extra currics? and other leadership involvements...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mahtab wrote:
Waterloo grad I'm guessing? :P How are your extra currics? and other leadership involvements...

No. The *other* top school :-D . My ECs, both in and after school, are great. So is my leadership involvement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Can you elaborate more how you increased your quant score?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
prasrush2001 wrote:

Hi,

To increase your quant I have the following to say:

1) Get the 5 MGMAT books. Each book is divided into chapters. At the end of each chapter there are (usually) 15 questions. Do ALL the questions in ALL the chapters in ALL the books. Once you do this your quant skills will be excellent. When you complete one book, do the associated questions from OG12 and Quant Review books as well.

2) Doing the above took me to Q45 or so. But what took me to Q47, in my opinion, are the GMATClub tests. These are by-far the best quant tests (apart from GMATPrep, obviously). GMATClub tests especially helped me in data sufficiency. I was very bad at DS. But that section improved dramatically once I started doing GMATClub tests. I went from a hit rate of 40% to about 80%. Some say the quants in MGMAT CATs are good. I disagree. The questions are usually way too long. I haven't seen a single GMAT question that required me to do 3 or 4 intermediate steps to arrive at the answer. But GMATClub test questions are succinct. The structure of the question is very similar to that of the real GMAT. MGMAT CATs make you CALCULATE. GMATClub tests make you THINK. And I noticed that GMAT is more about getting the concepts right than about brute force math.

If you follow the above I believe you should be set for quant. Best of luck!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hm... it sounds like raising your quant would be the easiest thing (as pointed out) you can get to a great score with Q50 V40 (750). That was Walker's Score. I got 750 with Q49, V42..... with such Low GPA you may want to. I would also encourage you to get a second opinion for YOUR particular schools from the admissions consultants (free profile evaluation) just in case so you don't waste time.

Usually 710 is a GREAT score, however.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hm... it sounds like raising your quant would be the easiest thing (as pointed out) you can get to a great score with Q50 V40 (750). That was Walker's Score. I got 750 with Q49, V42..... with such Low GPA you may want to. I would also encourage you to get a second opinion for YOUR particular schools from the admissions consultants (free profile evaluation) just in case so you don't waste time.

Hi bb,

For schools in my country, 710 is a good 40-50 points above average. I have even talked to adcoms and they are also impressed by my profile and stats. So in that sense 710 is more than enough.

But I am also aiming for top American schools (Harvard, Wharton, Booth). Only for these schools I can justify to myself the big loans and the US visa risks (for international students) and the bad US economy. But I don't think I have that much of a chance in these schools due to my GPA (I am going to apply anyways though).

I guess I have some more thinking to do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

For schools in my country, 710 is a good 40-50 points above average. I have even talked to adcoms and they are also impressed by my profile and stats. So in that sense 710 is more than enough.

But I am also aiming for top American schools (Harvard, Wharton, Booth). Only for these schools I can justify to myself the big loans and the US visa risks (for international students) and the bad US economy. But I don't think I have that much of a chance in these schools due to my GPA (I am going to apply anyways though).

I guess I have some more thinking to do.

This is true - 710 is a great score and it would only be worthwhile retaking if you wanted Harvard, Wharton etc. You should be very proud of yourself!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:
prasrush2001 wrote:

Hi,

To increase your quant I have the following to say:

1) Get the 5 MGMAT books. Each book is divided into chapters. At the end of each chapter there are (usually) 15 questions. Do ALL the questions in ALL the chapters in ALL the books. Once you do this your quant skills will be excellent. When you complete one book, do the associated questions from OG12 and Quant Review books as well.

2) Doing the above took me to Q45 or so. But what took me to Q47, in my opinion, are the GMATClub tests. These are by-far the best quant tests (apart from GMATPrep, obviously). GMATClub tests especially helped me in data sufficiency. I was very bad at DS. But that section improved dramatically once I started doing GMATClub tests. I went from a hit rate of 40% to about 80%. Some say the quants in MGMAT CATs are good. I disagree. The questions are usually way too long. I haven't seen a single GMAT question that required me to do 3 or 4 intermediate steps to arrive at the answer. But GMATClub test questions are succinct. The structure of the question is very similar to that of the real GMAT. MGMAT CATs make you CALCULATE. GMATClub tests make you THINK. And I noticed that GMAT is more about getting the concepts right than about brute force math.

If you follow the above I believe you should be set for quant. Best of luck!!

Thanks for your advice.. seems like good idea..

You brought up a good thing about MGMAT.. I gave one GMAT Prep and one MGMAT.. I felt MGMAT somewhat difficult and lengthy .. I got quant 46 in GMAT Prep whereas 43 in MGMAT.. I will follow your advice for quant..

now you have given feedback about quant.. can you also give some insight on verbal score improvement. Just to let you know when I gave last time MGMAT Test 1, I score V 33..mainly weak in SC and CR..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
prasrush2001 wrote:

Thanks for your advice.. seems like good idea..

You brought up a good thing about MGMAT.. I gave one GMAT Prep and one MGMAT.. I felt MGMAT somewhat difficult and lengthy .. I got quant 46 in GMAT Prep whereas 43 in MGMAT.. I will follow your advice for quant..

now you have given feedback about quant.. can you also give some insight on verbal score improvement. Just to let you know when I gave last time MGMAT Test 1, I score V 33..mainly weak in SC and CR..

Hi,

To improve Verbal I would suggest the following:

RC: For RC, imo the OG and the Verbal Review are enough. I suggest you start with the verbal review and then do the OG. This is because VR is easier than OG. To improve this section I followed Rhyme's method (search for it on the forum). This DRAMATICALLY improved my verbal scores. Infact on MGMAT2, 3 and 4 I think I only got 2 or 3 questions wrong for the 3 tests put together.

CR: Frankly, this is just practice. MGMAT is good here. As is the PowerScore Verbal Bible. This website has TONS of CR questions. But make sure that the source is credible. Bad CR questions will jeopardize your score by messing up with the way you think about solving them. This website also has a collection of GMATPrep questions. Make sure you do these AFTER you have done your GMATPrep tests. Otherwise you might see some repeat questions in GMATPrep and this will inflate your scores.

SC: To be honest SC is my weakest link. I usually went "by the ear". But before that I went through MGMAT SC book. This is a VERY good book. If you have read this book, you should have SC covered. Again, SC is also about practice.

Here is my general study method:

I had OG12 and the Verbal review for my questions. Whenever I used to complete a chapter in a MGMAT book, I would do the associated question in the Verbal and Quant Review. I did this because I wanted to strengthen my understanding of that particular chapter. First I would tackle the regular sections then ONLY after gaining an understanding of it would I go to the advanced sections.

When I was done with the Verbal and Quant review I attacked OG12. In this book I just went in order from the beginning. I did this because when you go in order the concepts being tested are mixed. So you might have one question in ratio and then you might have the next one in geometry and the one after in algebra. This way you have to fully focus as you can't anticipate what's next, somewhat like the GMAT environment.

Also make sure you have an error log. I didn't have it and I think it was the biggest mistake I ever made.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a bunch.. I will follow this.. Anyway all the best for application..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37316 posts