Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You can't give up.. specially not now.. after working so hard for it.. I would like to see you conquer the beast and until then no GIVING UP!!!!...

OG 11th ed. would be a good resource to have too with Manhattan SC guide. I think it is a fabulous book and has helped me a lot with my SC..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hang around here and compare your performance with others and see how others tackle verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with the others, the unwanted prelude probably had the most to do with your results.

One thing I would strongly recommend is a couple "dress rehearsal"s. Run through a full-length test at least twice during the week before the real thing, and try to sit at the same time as the real test will be. This is to make the actual event more familiar. Since you've already had the CAT experience, that won't be new.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eskay05, a side note - are you sure about your score?

I got 680 with same breakup (Q49, V32). I know percentiles may change over time but how come your cumulative score is 660?

duttsit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Which center was yours? [#permalink]
Now I am really worried. I am planning to take it tomorrow at San Jose and yesterday when I visited the center, it was locked and I saw a hanging there with a note asking not to open and "alarm will sound and police will come if opened" or something like that. Crap, I think my good luck has already started....NOT!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
don't worry old user you will be alright..

i think it is just extra security that GMAC has been wanting for a long time that ETS didinot giving and now pearson is trying every thing to keep GMAC happy.

A 7 years few million dollars deal is too sweet to pass...

Good luck with your test .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks everyone for the encouraging and helpful comments!

old-user - good luck for your test. I'm sure you'll be alright .. your test center is active because it had that note on it. Mine had no sign of activity. And it had black tinted doors and windows .. so I had no clue as to whether the place was in use or not! You'll be fine don't panic!

Have a few questions guys ...

About error log:
I've been using a very simple one so far. Just noted the questions I got wrong and tried to write a comment suggesting why I got it wrong. Is there a better way of doing this? .. because I found it quite hard to find a trend in my mistakes .. everytime I got something wrong .. it seemed like a new mistake!

Does anyone know of study material which provides questions grouped by type i.e a set of strengthen/weaken questions for CR or a set of assumptions questions etc.? I really need to identify which question type I'm struggling with .. all the material I've looked at so far gives a set of questions with everything mixed up and so its quite hard to analyse my mistakes.

Are questions in OG11 different from OG10 because I have looked at OG10 in detail and have also attempted GMATPrep. So doing the same questions wont really help as I know the answers now!

Duttsit, I did read your post about your gmat experience. I was quite surprised to see that your cumulative score was 680 although you had the same Quant/Verbal breakup as me! I am sure my score is 660. I got a print out at the end of my test and the piece of paper sure says 660!! I soooo wish the score is wrong!!

Can someone pls explain this difference in scores? I thought I understood the gmat scoring mechanism. Looks like I've understood NOTHING about gmat so far!

Forgot to mention this earlier, my practice test scores were as follows:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

After going through OG, Kaplan and some miscallaneous books:
Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

But honestly, these scores dont mean anything to me anymore
:cry:

Thanks again for all your input guys!

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eskay05 wrote:

old-user - good luck for your test. I'm sure you'll be alright .. your test center is active because it had that note on it. Mine had no sign of activity. And it had black tinted doors and windows .. so I had no clue as to whether the place was in use or not! You'll be fine don't panic!

About error log:
I've been using a very simple one so far. Just noted the questions I got wrong and tried to write a comment suggesting why I got it wrong. Is there a better way of doing this? .. because I found it quite hard to find a trend in my mistakes .. everytime I got something wrong .. it seemed like a new mistake!

Does anyone know of study material which provides questions grouped by type i.e a set of strengthen/weaken questions for CR or a set of assumptions questions etc.? I really need to identify which question type I'm struggling with .. all the material I've looked at so far gives a set of questions with everything mixed up and so its quite hard to analyse my mistakes.

Are questions in OG11 different from OG10 because I have looked at OG10 in detail and have also attempted GMATPrep. So doing the same questions wont really help as I know the answers now!

Duttsit, I did read your post about your gmat experience. I was quite surprised to see that your cumulative score was 680 although you had the same Quant/Verbal breakup as me! I am sure my score is 660. I got a print out at the end of my test and the piece of paper sure says 660!! I soooo wish the score is wrong!!

Can someone pls explain this difference in scores? I thought I understood the gmat scoring mechanism. Looks like I've understood NOTHING about gmat so far!

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

Interesting !! If they keep on devaluing "total" score by 20 pts every other months, whats point of "standardized" test... Also schools should then look at for raw indivisual scores only. By the way, what was your percentiles?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
eskay05 wrote:

About error log:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

I am just surprise that your Kaplan score is somewhat better than your real GMAT score. Since most people find the Kaplan question harder than the real GMAT. Can you elaborate on how you find the Kaplan question VS the real GMAT question?

Thnx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks [#permalink]
Thanks SK (I mean eskay) and sperumba

The test center was indeed there!. Got a poor score of 650, worst thing was my quant was 43 (never scored that low in any of the practice tests) and my verbal was 36 (never scored that high in the practice tests either). What the heck I aint going to give it again.... I think. So If I get admission its ok if not I am just going to forget the whole thing, I hope I get admission as I am only looking for the part time program.

Good luck all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
old user just heard from a friend who scored 660 that she got int the wharton.

so taht is good news i guess .. it not only all GMAT but there is a lot more after your GMA like essays and stuff.. good luck with your apps..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
eskay05 answers to your questions :

1. Error log tool:
yes there is a more comprehensive error tool.. the keeps log of how many errors you are comittiing and in what section you are comitting those error this is a python script and you need to run python on ur PC.

here is the link to that .

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8717

Thans to Praetorian and pbajaria..

follow the instructions to download and install .. it is a little intimidating to use at first.

2.study material which provides questions grouped by type

Yes there is a suplement to the OG which works with the OG and has wuestiosn listed by types.

Also the Mgmat SC and RC books do work with OG according to wuestion types.

Give me some time and i can find you the suplement to the OG.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
here is the suplement for working with OG that categorizes problems according to difficulty level and type.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
duttsit wrote:
eskay05 wrote:

About error log:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

Interesting !! If they keep on devaluing "total" score by 20 pts every other months, whats point of "standardized" test... Also schools should then look at for raw indivisual scores only. By the way, what was your percentiles?

Duttsit,

My percentiles:
Quantitative - 90th percentile
Verbal - 67th percentile
Total - 86th percentile

Btw .. how are your apps coming along?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
sperumba wrote:
eskay05 answers to your questions :

1. Error log tool:
yes there is a more comprehensive error tool.. the keeps log of how many errors you are comittiing and in what section you are comitting those error this is a python script and you need to run python on ur PC.

here is the link to that .

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8717

Thans to Praetorian and pbajaria..

follow the instructions to download and install .. it is a little intimidating to use at first.

2.study material which provides questions grouped by type

Yes there is a suplement to the OG which works with the OG and has wuestiosn listed by types.

Also the Mgmat SC and RC books do work with OG according to wuestion types.

Give me some time and i can find you the suplement to the OG.

Thanks a million Sperumba! :thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
kcng8 wrote:
eskay05 wrote:

About error log:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

I am just surprise that your Kaplan score is somewhat better than your real GMAT score. Since most people find the Kaplan question harder than the real GMAT. Can you elaborate on how you find the Kaplan question VS the real GMAT question?

Thnx

Hi kcng8,

Yeah I guess I am an odd one out here. Inititally I found kaplan tests to be very hard and a lot different to the OG. But after doing a couple of tests, it got better. For the quantitative part - I found the 100 math review points in the Kaplan 04/05 book very useful. If you 'understand' these, you can get through the quantitative part of kaplan tests just fine.

Comparing kaplan quantitative to the real GMAT test - I think kaplan questions are harder and take longer to solve. The questions on the real test had a lot more variety than the kaplan tests. I think GMATPrep is a lot closer to the real test than kaplan.

For verbal - kaplan CR's were quite similar to the ones on the real test. For SC's though, I thought kaplan was a lot easier and straightforward. And RC's in kaplan - definitely way too hard!

Hope that helps ..
I don't think I should comment on this too much. I was doing ok on kaplan tests but still screwed up the one that counts ...

Good luck with your prep!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
duttsit wrote:
eskay05, a side note - are you sure about your score?

I got 680 with same breakup (Q49, V32). I know percentiles may change over time but how come your cumulative score is 660?

duttsit

What the #$%&* :shock: , how can it be? eskay, I think you should ask VUE!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts