It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 on GMAT Prep - should I take the exam, need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

660 on GMAT Prep - should I take the exam, need advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2008, 17:40
Folks,

I have taken GMAT 3 years ago - score 640 (M 48, V31). Could not take the test immediately - job constraints. I have been studying the last two month and exam is on Sat,8/16.

I scored 660 ( M 50, V 29) on GMAT Prep CAT -2 today.
GMATPrep CAT -1 640 (M48, V30) - 1 month ago
MGMAT CAT's range 640-660

Looking at my scores does not look like I will hit 700. So, should I take the GMAT?
I am scared I might score lower than my first test.

I'm confused. Please advice. :?

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: 660 on GMAT Prep - should I take the exam, need advice [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2008, 17:43
When are you planning on applying to schools? It's getting down to the time when there isn't much time left to do the GMAT and then apps, so if you delay the GMAT and study, you'll likely have to be studying while working on apps. What schools are you applying to? Do you have a stellar background / EC's / Work Experience? If you do, then the scores you already have might be fine. Top schools do admit people with mid-600s. That person is going to have to show them exactly why admission is worth the risk (risk as the adcoms see it).

If the GMAT score MUST be over 700, I think a delay is probably a good idea.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2008, 17:48
Allen Morris

I plan to apply to UCLA and HAAS part-time programs. My GPA in undergrad is not that great 3.4. But 2.5 yrs ago I moved from Engg to product management.

Do you know if school will frown if I say get 620 now? What will that say about me?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2008, 17:49
Allen Morris

I plan to apply to UCLA and HAAS part-time programs. My GPA in undergrad is not that great 3.4. But 2.5 yrs ago I moved from Engg to product management.

Do you know if schools will frown if I say get 620 the second time? What will that say about me?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2008, 19:45
For part-time program your previous score should be enough. But sometimes bschools ask for recent score. In that case you will have to appear for the GMAT again.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Schools: Berkeley Haas
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2008, 05:55
I'd say - move the test date if possible and prepare some more. You do need to have the recent test, and you do want the result to be better than your previous one.

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2008, 11:56
I would reschedule if you really wanted to hit that 700 mark. Nothing much will change between now and Saturday. If you aren't improving in score, then I'm not sure why you would want to retake it.

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2008, 02:08
I would not waste an effort without spending enough time to be sure that you will have a better score. If you are going for part time then the GMAT requirement is more dependent on the location of your targetted school than the ratings of that school. Ross may have better ratings but Berkeley might ask for higher GMAT because more people wana get into that school from Bay area. So, i guess your 640 may be good enough if you have a right profile and the location of your school is right. So, if all that is not true for you then my friend you may have to study!

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2008, 03:26
jallenmorris wrote:
When are you planning on applying to schools? It's getting down to the time when there isn't much time left to do the GMAT and then apps, so if you delay the GMAT and study, you'll likely have to be studying while working on apps. What schools are you applying to? Do you have a stellar background / EC's / Work Experience? If you do, then the scores you already have might be fine. Top schools do admit people with mid-600s. That person is going to have to show them exactly why admission is worth the risk (risk as the adcoms see it).

If the GMAT score MUST be over 700, I think a delay is probably a good idea.

I agree with Morris. Moreover, I think your quant scores (48-50) are excellent and there is a HUGE scope for improvement in your verbal scores since you are scoring in the high 20's or low 30's. Five additional points in verbal is doable if you have some additional time. In my opinion, it is easier to improve in verbal than quant at those levels.
Good Luck.

SVP
SVP

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2008, 06:10
aaron - keep in mind you posted your message on 8/17 and his test was on 8/16 if he didn't postpone it.

mba9now - did you take your test on Saturday?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2008, 07:23
jallenmorris wrote:
aaron - keep in mind you posted your message on 8/17 and his test was on 8/16 if he didn't postpone it.

mba9now - did you take your test on Saturday?

oops!

Re: 660 on GMAT Prep - should I take the exam, need advice   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2008, 07:23

660 on GMAT Prep - should I take the exam, need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap