Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
1 Year program [#permalink]
Wing- looking at a one year program. I have convinced myself to take it again. I'd hate to look back and think that the adcom couldnt get over my grades and I could have offset the grades with a better GMAT score. I guess its silly, but I think through equal study I will raise the math one or two(or stay equal) and raise the verbal a few points. I was surprised I didnt perform better on the verbal portion. I will concentrate on that and try to do at least 3 practive tests before the real one. I still dont have my AWA score yet. I didnt realize they are mechanically scored. I will look into the templates at some point.

Thanks
Eric
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Don't Sweat It [#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Considering how long you've been out of school I don't think your grades will be weighed very heavily. I think the GMAT is much more indicative of a person's IQ than their GPA, adcoms know this. You have a solid GMAT score, and if you're above your schools average I wouldn't take it again unless (a) you know you're going to score better (b) it's not going to take away time that would be better spent working on the rest of your applications, and it's not going to take away from time that would be better spent with your family.

I used to think this way too, but I've since changed my position. The problem actually is a very simple one. You may have a 680 and a 2.5, but someone else will have a 680 and a 3.5. You may have 10 years experience, but so will someone else.

That being said, part time programs ARE different - your GMAT matters less then as it is not reported as part of the official average. However, your poor experience as an undergraduate will be of concern to the adcoms, and while your GMAT score may mitigate this, you will need to adddress it. Simply saying it was 10 years ago is not enough, because right next to you is someone else who got a 3.5 10 years ago and thus represents less "risk".
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, I see it like you do. I cant change the past but it is a big hill to climb. I need to give the adcom every opportunity to like what they see as I know they wont like my grades. I am not looking at regular MBA programs. I am looking at real estate programs. I could likely use some of the info in the MBA program but would rather focus on my chosen field. In addition it is too costly to take two years off. I want to do a one year program.

I ordered some new books (OG 11, Kaplan 800 and MGMAT SC) and will start this week with quant, basic stuff and sentence correction. I really thought I had no handle on the math but ended up with a 41. If I can work on number props etc and keep that score or improve 2-3 points and hit the verbal section and get that up 3-4 i will be happy that I have given myself a good chance.

Best of luck to all- its amazing to see the improvement some people have. Not sure if it is more impressive to get a 750 first try or tenth try... Mark Twain said "Hard work without talent is a shame but talent without hard work is a tragedy".

Hard work is the key.

Cheers
Eric
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts