Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 14:32 It is currently 06 May 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
i would say that you should retake ur gmat.

you are an indian..and you are competing against some quant nerd who has a 760. Your work experience isnt stellar..just your regular run of the mill indian IT guy..well not unless you are some top tech geek without which google would be lost...i dont think you are competitive for a HBS or wharton UNLESS you do the FOLLOWING

- SCORE 700+ on GMAT
- DO SOME extra circular work..come on ..you are probably making a decent six figure..give back to society and take on a leadership role
- demonstrate at work that you are not just a good Software Engineer but an astute businessman who is using his software skills to increase market capitialization of your company.
- You are Indian..thats already a negative for HBS and WHARTOn..not that they hate indians..its just that there are too many of us applying there...so make you indianess as unique as possible..say if you happen to be from one of the most backwards of places in india and made exceptional gains to be where you are..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot, all.

My plan is to go for 2 yr full time course. I know I am a bit aged for that with 10yrs of experience, but bcos of some constraints in the personal front, couldn't go for it before.
Somebody was telling me that a 690 with 10yrs (& with family, kids etc) is a good combination, and there is no point in going for a retake.

More so my work experience is above ordinary. It was not like a "typical Indian IT" kind. I have 2 US patents under my name & that might count some weight ....
and also I have quite a few community involvement stuff under my hat.

My extra-curricular involves university level Cricket & Mountaineering at the Himalayas. I was a student leader in Engg. Not sure if these would count, but I need to do some research where would I stand among the competition with all these.

Thanks for your input anyway ..... best regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
sevenvaio,
You clearly sound like you KNOW you can do better. And, I'm assuming this was your first try. I'd say GO FOR IT!!!! Give it another shot. Your profile is very impressive. Back this up with the GMAT score that YOU KNOW you can get!!!

All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: 690 - Q49 V35 [#permalink]
sevenvaio wrote:
Hi,

I got a 690 (Q 49 V35) today. Even though I am not quite happy with the score, I can't complain much because it was me who screwed up at the last moment. Out of excitement or whatever, I couldn't sleep for more than 3hours the previous night & that did reflect in my performance. My exam was on the 2nd half of the day, and I started draining out fast, post-AWA.
Otherwise, the exam conditions were quite good, the ladies at the reception were quite warm .... and everything went well. No issues with the markers, lockers etc.

The AWAs were straight forward kind. I am usually good at writing - hence didn't put much effort on AWA before the exams. Let's see what's in store for me at the AWA :-)

The Quant was also smooth. Only 1 Combination problem & 1 on Probability. Quite a few interesting Geometry problems.

I studied for approx 3 months, with around 2hrs on the weekdays & more on weekends. I am with family, hence had some obvious constraints.
Apart from the OG 11, I got Manhattan SC book & Kaplan 800. I also browsed another 2-3 Manhattan books, but didn't feel those were that impressive as the SC one. The SC one is a real gem. But I also felt there are few other important concepts on SC which are not quite covered in this book, hence would suggest not considering this as a 'SC Bible'. Keep your eyes open for other resources. I used to occasionally browse a few forums, and apart from this club, I learnt quite many useful things from the TM & ST forums.
I also got hold of an old OG10 just a few days before the exam, and tried to go through the Verbal questions, as much as I can. There are more questions on OG10 than in OG11.

Being an engineer, I didn't quite spend many calories on Quant. Just revised the concepts & few formulas. Most of my efforts were around Verbal. Even though I used to struggle in the beginning, eventually I started liking the Verbal :-)

My Manhattan online tests used to be so so kind .... I did 5 out of 6, and my scores varied between 650 and 680... Q ranging from 45-49 & V from 34-38. But I used to give these tests at home, with occasional distractions.
Later, I started going to the local Library for the Powerprep & GMATPrep exams. I used to consistently get 700+ in all the Powerprep & GMATPrep exams - with my last GMATPrep2 went up till 760. (I did the Powerprep only once each, while reinstalled GMATPrep twice) The last one in which I scored 760 really increased my confidence, because there were just 1 or 2 known questions in the Verbal, and still I scored 45. That was just 2 days before the actual test.
I feel bad that I messed up the actual show, because of my non-sense & not following other's advice on Nyquil :-(
I hope others don't do the same mistake & ensure a good 8hrs sleep the night before the exam.... whatever it takes!

Now, let me ask for some advice from you guys .... with this kind of score, do you think I can expect a call from any A-class schools?
I am Indian, my Engg CPA is not that impressive. Am having around 10years of work experience in the Software industry (with 5+ yrs abroad experience - US & UK). Started my career in a multinational software company, and kept on moving up the ladder all throughout. Yearly appraisals have always been good, and got several awards in the companies that I worked. Filed a few Patents also. Extra-curricular ... so so kind.
Before today's GMAT mess, I was aspiring for the top-tier schools (my dream list: Kellogg, Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, Columbia & Carnegie-Mellon), but now I am kinda doubtful with the screwed up 75 percentile in the Verbal score.....
Maybe I have to reconsider the idea of leaving my job & going for 2yrs full-time program. Unless I can enter in one of the top-tier schools, probably it won't make much sense to sacrifice my 2yrs' salary & take a loan, that too with 10yrs of experience.... what do you say?
Do you suggest retaking the GMAT & see if I can get around 730+?
Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks for reading this long post :-)
Best of luck!

dude,

i had a very similar experience of no sleep... except mine strectched for a few days before the exam too. i was a dead tired zombie. i could have scored 20-30 points better, but what are you going to do. i am not worried about grad school, only worried about PhD so I may have to retake in a year but I am not looking forward to it.

as far as your profile goes, i don't think many applicants can say the have patents under their belt... so that should go a long way! if i was an adcom that would impress me way more than a 730 on the GMAT!!!

also, i have also heard that being out of school for a while lessens the improtance of GMAT score... but if you think you can do better, for sure go for it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just can't express how motivated I feel seeing all your responses. I really appreciate the kind of camaraderie that flows in this group. Thank you all.

I wish I could take the GMAT immediately --- and then I could probably have scored 730+ ... but I don't think I can, for another 2 months or so .... let's see where do I stand after that & might go for it again. Not sure though.

Meanwhile I am exploring the individual schools .... and see where do I stand.

Regds.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37396 posts