Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [3]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 700 GMAT+ Applicants who are DINGED from ALL their schools? [#permalink]
Great thank you.

SalarymanJ - completely agree it's not just about GMAT. I just put it in the title cause that's a baseline requirement almost. I think I have a killer background and experiences, but i'm close to zero admit...

Personally the only thing I could have done differently is to apply R1 instead of R2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I got 750 GMAT, BS and Masters degree from MIT with 3.9/4.0 GPA. Got dinged by all schools WITHOUT an interview or waitlist so far. Columbia is the only one I am waiting on (but things don't look good, the schools are not that different and if I don't get an interview at any of them with my stats, then something is very wrong). My essays were pretty good. I had 3 current HBS students review them before submitting, and they agree that it was on par with their essays that got them admitted. My only weakness is that one of my managers wrote a really crappy recommendation letter and submitted it before asking me to look it over (he spent like 5 min on it, had typos and other weird comments, he said he would go over it with me first, but he just submitted it). I'm gonna go cry because I can't shake the feeling that if I had asked someone else to write the letter, then I would have succeeded (or at least gotten an interview at ONE of the schools). Now even if I want to try again next year, I would be a re-applicant which makes it a lot tougher and it sucks to have lost a year too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.06
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management
Send PM
That's a serious concern. One of my recommenders always submitted at the last minute and never let me review them. In the end I only got accepted at his Alma Mater so I guess he actually spent time on that one. Perhaps it's best to not even give the recommender the link to submit the reco without reviewing it first.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
rouzbie wrote:
That's a serious concern. One of my recommenders always submitted at the last minute and never let me review them. In the end I only got accepted at his Alma Mater so I guess he actually spent time on that one. Perhaps it's best to not even give the recommender the link to submit the reco without reviewing it first.

Did you just say that you're upset that your recommender didn't let you review what is supposed to be an anonymous recommendation?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.06
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management
Send PM
ariel wrote:
rouzbie wrote:

Did you just say that you're upset that your recommender didn't let you review what is supposed to be an anonymous recommendation?

Maybe I should clarify. What I mean is I would remind one of my recommenders several times up to the day of the deadline and then finally on the day of the deadline. For every school I applied to he sounded hurried and stressed out to get the recommendation done about an hour before the deadline. In one or two cases I'm fairly certain he didn't write the recommendation until the day of the deadline. That's what I was upset about
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
noblepaladin wrote:
I got 750 GMAT, BS and Masters degree from MIT with 3.9/4.0 GPA. Got dinged by all schools WITHOUT an interview or waitlist so far. Columbia is the only one I am waiting on (but things don't look good, the schools are not that different and if I don't get an interview at any of them with my stats, then something is very wrong). My essays were pretty good. I had 3 current HBS students review them before submitting, and they agree that it was on par with their essays that got them admitted. My only weakness is that one of my managers wrote a really crappy recommendation letter and submitted it before asking me to look it over (he spent like 5 min on it, had typos and other weird comments, he said he would go over it with me first, but he just submitted it). I'm gonna go cry because I can't shake the feeling that if I had asked someone else to write the letter, then I would have succeeded (or at least gotten an interview at ONE of the schools). Now even if I want to try again next year, I would be a re-applicant which makes it a lot tougher and it sucks to have lost a year too.

I don't think the reco is the deal breaker here, they are not too important anyway (basically, applicants usually write them for themselves, and schools know that).

My opinion, you are - paradoxically - too strong for them. For G-d sake, not only your GMAT is stellar, you already have Masters degree - and no less, from MIT!

They wonder why such an accomplished candidate would want an MBA. They may suspect you are in for a "victory lap". Try to address the issue in your essays if you decide to re-apply (and I hope you won't need to), and better yet, think why do you need it indeed. MBA is not a classic academic degree and it's tailored more towards younger career-switchers. You can succeed wherever you go.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
noblepaladin wrote:

I feel you. I'm in the same boat and my admissions consultant saw me as one of his strongest candidates...CBS is BAD this year - that kicked off my bad streak. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
If you don't mind me asking--which consultant did you happen to use?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
noblepaladin wrote:

I feel your pain and I actually believe that your recommendation letter could be a deal breaker. Imagine that you're competing with all kinds of amazing people who have great GMAT, GPA, essays and track record and who went to great schools. What's left for schools to compare? Recommendation letter, I strongly believe. School adcoms are smart and experienced and they know whether a recommendation letter is authentic/sincere or not.

I personally heard several similar stories like yours. These people re-applied the following year with completely different recommenders (but of course, proven incremental performance from year over year) and they all got into very good schools.

Don't be discouraged. Shxt happens in life. If you clearly know why you want a MBA, one year delay really doesn't mean much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It seems TOUGH to reapply in R1. When I finally receive my dings this year, it will be April 2011. With Apps due by Oct 2011, I would want to start the essays by August. that essentially gives me 3-4 months to 'improve'.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
pacific2atlantic wrote:
wondering how many applicants are out there with 700+ gmat, good work experience, extracurricular, etc who were denied from all their schools. I'm on my path to becoming one and I don't understand why besides applying in R2. Used the most highly rated consultant company also...

IMHO, I think part of the problem is that a high percentage of people on this site think that only the top 5 or top 8 or whatever schools are worthy of their effort. They get a 740 GMAT and think that it is HBS, Wharton, Stanford or bust. When you are applying to the top schools, they are a crap shoot no matter what your credentials are. That is just a fact of MBA admissions.

If people were to only read these boards they might think that NYU is a "safety" school for most people :roll:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thmgoodw wrote:
pacific2atlantic wrote:
wondering how many applicants are out there with 700+ gmat, good work experience, extracurricular, etc who were denied from all their schools. I'm on my path to becoming one and I don't understand why besides applying in R2. Used the most highly rated consultant company also...

IMHO, I think part of the problem is that a high percentage of people on this site think that only the top 5 or top 8 or whatever schools are worthy of their effort. They get a 740 GMAT and think that it is HBS, Wharton, Stanford or bust. When you are applying to the top schools, they are a crap shoot no matter what your credentials are. That is just a fact of MBA admissions.

If people were to only read these boards they might think that NYU is a "safety" school for most people :roll:

I completely agree with you - and agree the 10-13% acceptance rate speaks for itself. However, around 25% of candidates get interviewed, and I think many QUALIFIED (not just people who think they are qualified) have been ding'd without interview from all of their school.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
I would add myself to the same list. 720 GMAT, 3.7 GPA in Engineering, Canadian. 3 years WE. Applied to 6 of the M7 schools. Rejected at all without even an interview. Had really strong essays. Goals were a little unorthodox so that could be a reason for the rejections. Strong Leadership in school, now not as much. Need to look more into my goals and try to get involved even more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: energy, international business, risk management
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Oil and Gas engineer
WE 2: Oil and gas Engineer
Send PM
Let me throw my hat into the ring.

720/ low gpa/ 4 yrs work ex in oil and gas doing project risk management.

Dinged from duke and cornell. Cornell infact forgot to send me a rejection letter or update my status :P . I had to call them to understand what was my status.

Rd 2 applied to kellogg, darden and Mccombs. So far radio silence from Darden and McCombs soooo.. dear brethren kindly embrace me in this esteemed club.
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS (R2 - dinged wo interview) Columbia (R2 - int - dinged) Wharton (R2 - Admit w $) Stern (R2 - Admit w $$)
Send PM
I feel you. I'm in the same boat and my admissions consultant saw me as one of his strongest candidates...CBS is BAD this year - that kicked off my bad streak. Good luck.[/quote]

I feel you too. My admission consultant said i am one of the stronger ones for CBS and got dinged after interview. So bumped by the decision. Hopefully good news are on the way!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA Anderson (IN!!), NYU Stern (IN!!), MIT (R1 Ding), Columbia (RD Ding)
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
i have a feeling admissions consultants will tell all of their clients that they are "strong" candidates to get the clients to purchase more hours/packages. my friend has a 580 and a 3.0 from Babson UG and was told that she has a shot at H/S/W for R3 by <big name consulting company that I won't name>.

i personally would take everything the admissions consultants say with a grain of salt. i mean you know your own candidacy and you know the profiles of people who currently attend your school of choice so talk to students/alumns and see if you measure up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
^^^ IM calling BS on this specific story.

I have a 720 and a slightly below 3.0.

I spoke with 9 consultants who offered the "free consultation thing"

The all started with...H/S/W/K/B/T/CBS/etc are damn near impossible. I didnt listen and got what was coming to me. (ding at booth)

Spill the beans....do us all a favor and say which consultant LIED to your friend so we dont end up using them.

For the record I agree with you....consultants say things to get you to buy packages. But if anyone would say a 3.0/580 has a chance at HSW they deserve to be exposed.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3