GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 09:22

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Advice For Applicants Considering Round 2

November 16, 2018

November 16, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Many of you may be wondering whether you should pull the trigger and apply to business school during round 2 this winter.
  • Save up to $500 on MBA Admissions Consulting!

November 21, 2018

November 21, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Apply with confidence using an Accepted admissions expert, save money and get accepted!

730/sub 3.0 Profile Evaluation Need Help

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
730/sub 3.0 Profile Evaluation Need Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 13:13
Hi,

I know my terrible cgpa and relatively thin working experience are going to put me in stretch position. I really appreciate if anyone can help me evaluate my profile.

Female, Asian, 25 with 3 year WE by the time I start my MBA

Graduate from University of Toronto in Finance 2.94, lots of Cs in first 2 years but not D/F (saw some other posts from UofT students with pain in low cGPA I feel you all)
- pretty much screwed up in first year, I won't find any excuse for my laziness
- second year there was serious family issue (think of parent diagnosed as having cancer)
last two years were in upward trend, with average GPA 3.4~, last semester was 3.8

WE - 3 year by 2019
2 year in Tier 2 Consulting in Canada as FA/PMO
1 year in biggest Telecom Comp in Canada as Senior Analyst (FA duties + project implementation + contract negotiation etc.)

First GMAT (600+) was cancelled (didn't spend much time to prepare), second test was 730.

Letter of Recommendation
Both from previous consulting company supervisors (since I only started the new job for couple months)
One from Management Director and one from Senior Manager who both are quite supportive

EC
1 year tutor for a mid-size class for a University course
Interest and practice in art/paint, once worked in a student counsel campaign/marketing and also worked in student organization for design/marketing contents
proactively attended 2 business plans projects with friends after graduation
help young international students in a local high school

I am still working on my essays and below are my target schools for now

In Canada
Rotman -U of T
Schulich - York

In US
Johnson Cornell
Stern NYU

I am planning on take another GMAT test in November, targeting 760+
And if I really get 760, I may target Kellogg and Columbia in round 2.

I appreciate any comments or thoughts or evaluation on my profile and target schools. Even you think my zero will be 0 please share your thoughts.

Thank you!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: 730/sub 3.0 Profile Evaluation Need Help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 17:12
Hi there - thanks for writing! You'll want to address your GPA in the optional essay, in a way that shows responsibility and ownership while providing context to what circumstances challenged your focus on academics. 730 is a solid GMAT score - bumping it up if possible would be beneficial for further offsetting your GMAT.

While your years of work experience will be on the lower side, if your responsibilities have increased and your recommenders can attest to your early potential, that will increase your chances.

Your extracurriculars seem decent - definitely highlight them on your resume along with the impact you've made. In your essays, you'll want to highlight both professional and personal experiences, so keep those in mind.

I think the Canadian schools are within your target zone - the Top 10-15 US schools will depend on the impact you've made within and outside of work and the quality of your recommendations.

Best of luck!

zoeyeh wrote:
Hi,

I know my terrible cgpa and relatively thin working experience are going to put me in stretch position. I really appreciate if anyone can help me evaluate my profile.

Female, Asian, 25 with 3 year WE by the time I start my MBA

Graduate from University of Toronto in Finance 2.94, lots of Cs in first 2 years but not D/F (saw some other posts from UofT students with pain in low cGPA I feel you all)
- pretty much screwed up in first year, I won't find any excuse for my laziness
- second year there was serious family issue (think of parent diagnosed as having cancer)
last two years were in upward trend, with average GPA 3.4~, last semester was 3.8

WE - 3 year by 2019
2 year in Tier 2 Consulting in Canada as FA/PMO
1 year in biggest Telecom Comp in Canada as Senior Analyst (FA duties + project implementation + contract negotiation etc.)

First GMAT (600+) was cancelled (didn't spend much time to prepare), second test was 730.

Letter of Recommendation
Both from previous consulting company supervisors (since I only started the new job for couple months)
One from Management Director and one from Senior Manager who both are quite supportive

EC
1 year tutor for a mid-size class for a University course
Interest and practice in art/paint, once worked in a student counsel campaign/marketing and also worked in student organization for design/marketing contents
proactively attended 2 business plans projects with friends after graduation
help young international students in a local high school

I am still working on my essays and below are my target schools for now

In Canada
Rotman -U of T
Schulich - York

In US
Johnson Cornell
Stern NYU

I am planning on take another GMAT test in November, targeting 760+
And if I really get 760, I may target Kellogg and Columbia in round 2.

I appreciate any comments or thoughts or evaluation on my profile and target schools. Even you think my zero will be 0 please share your thoughts.

Thank you!

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

730/sub 3.0 Profile Evaluation Need Help

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap