Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 740(Q-49,V-42)- Took it late but better safe than sorry! [#permalink]
jason25 wrote:
@VikingGMAT
Great advice. Do update us here if you get admitted to schools especially because you prepared your application within a couple of days :-D

Yes, vikingGMAT should later probably later write a post on "How I took the GMAT late yet made it through a top MBA program " :-D
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Excellent score! Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your applications.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Yes, vikingGMAT should later probably later write a post on "How I took the GMAT late yet made it through a top MBA program " :-D

Hahaha. True. I think many people would be interested in reading such a post here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Excellent tips and advice. I have my GMAT coming in 2 weeks and I think that I certainly learnt a couple of new things from your post. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great article. I think you did a very good job by applying just in time. Did you hear from some schools you applied to ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think that it's always better to apply in the next season if your applications are not ready enough but that's just me :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Great score and awesome story ..Any updates from the schools you had applied to ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Glad that you took the exam in a hurry and still got a good score. For once, I also wanted to take the GMAT in Jan and apply to schools but somehow I felt that I wasn't prepared and taking the exam in a hurry wouldn't do any good. So delayed it and have it this week . Hopefully I'm able to do well on the test
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FuzzyLogic wrote:
I think that it's always better to apply in the next season if your applications are not ready enough but that's just me :D

One good option i think that people have if they are late in applying to US schools is to apply to INSEAD and IMD. Admissions starts in January for IMD and for INSEAD it's round the years since they have two intakes in a year
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Awesome split between quant and verbal scores. You have done a terrific job! Well done
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OP,
I loved your strategy to crack the GMAT. Thank you for sharing it with us.

jason25 wrote:
FuzzyLogic wrote:

One good option i think that people have if they are late in applying to US schools is to apply to INSEAD and IMD. Admissions starts in January for IMD and for INSEAD it's round the years since they have two intakes in a year

Just a passing note- only the January intake of INSEAD has an internship option so if you are planning to switch industries, this session is better than the september one
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Srilankanaspirant wrote:
OP,
I loved your strategy to crack the GMAT. Thank you for sharing it with us.

jason25 wrote:
FuzzyLogic wrote:

Just a passing note- only the January intake of INSEAD has an internship option so if you are planning to switch industries, this session is better than the september one

However, the fact is that almost 40% of the INSEAD students in the January term don't go for internships..They just take a break and travel or do something else. Internship is not very important .
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Awesome score. I just love the way your prep shaped up. I'm planning to take the GMAT in another 3-4 months and i hope to follow your plan
VikingGMAT wrote:
Today I took the GMAT at their NYC test center and got a 740. Stern,IMD,Darden and Stanford are the only schools I can apply to because I've missed the deadlines of a couple of other schools on my target. Although I am on a tight schedule as the deadlines of these schools is quite close but now after getting done with the GMAT successfully, I think that I'll be able to manage the applications also.

My profile :
Male with Finance Majors from University of Texas,Austin with 4 years of experience working on the East coast in financial consulting. Want to move to a hedge fund and MBA is almost a pre requisite for making this transition happen.

Prep Timeline:
I kicked off my prep quite late(mid October to be precise) and had taken a Dec 20th appointment within a few days of starting my prep. Come December first week and I realized that I'm not prepared for 20th Dec. I thought that I'd take a risk and give it a go but some friends at business schools suggested otherwise. They said that screwing my test meant that I'd have to wait for one more month,by when the R2 deadlines of all schools would be closed.
So it's better that I be a bit late than be sorry for 1 year so rescheduled the test for 5th Jan. Though that did mean that I'd not be able to apply to a couple of schools I wanted to but still would be left with some schools.

Prep Strategy:

My job involves a lot of traveling and it wasn't possible for me to enroll in a prep program so I had to manage my prep on my own. The GMAT forums proved very instrumental in helping me ride solo. Read a lot of success stories and followed the advices of the experts. Based on the advices here, used the following resources
Quant-Manhattan Strategy Guides
Verbal-Aristotle Grail series.

Although since i had a focus on accounting during my undergrad, still I had gotten quite rusty and ManhattanGMAT books came in handy for helping my sharpen my math skills.
My advice to the native speakers is to not take Verbal lightly. True we do have an advantage but still you still need to put those hours in Verbal. It'd become an easy ride if you are able to identify question types and errors easily and the next time you see them being tested on a question, you'd tackle the questions much confidently thinking"ahh! there it goes..". I loved the Aristotle Verbal books especially their SC Grail 3rd edition. Due to paucity of time, could only go through half of the RC Grail but the book is great too

Practice test scores :
I relied only on MGMAT and GMATPREP practice tests. I have heard good things about Kaplan's 8 practice tests but didn't have time to go through them.
These were my practice test scores:
GMATPREP#1 : 710-1 month before the test
MGMAT #1 : 680- 3 weeks before the test
MGMAT 2 : 720 - 2 weeks before the test

In the fortnight leading to the test, I took a break from work and took 7 tests in all-1 each day.
I think what you gain from doing a lot of tests is that you develop that patience to sit for 4 hours straight which is quite difficult. My iphone has made me all the more restless person as checking it every 10 minutes has become a habit(that I need to get rid of) so sitting for 4 hours taking the test was indeed testing the limit of your patience.

Test Day Experience:
I reached the test center well on time. The center staff was courteous.
Started with AWA and could easily spot 2-3 flaws in the prompt.IR went smoothly too. Faced a bit of trouble on Quant around 24-28th questions. There were a couple of inequalities DS questions. I hadn't touched Permutations and combinations during my prep so when I got two of these questions,
I just read the question quickly(to decide whether they are solvable or not) and then took a few seconds making an educated guess and moved on.

The ride in Verbal was a bit bumpy too mostly because I was running behind time. Contrary to what I had thought, the CR on the GMAT was quite manageable and I thankfully didn't get stuck deciding between the last two options after having eliminated 3 choices.
SC questions were like islands of pleasure after the tiring RCs. I think that SC Grail had prepared me quite well so I was actually looking forward to them during the test.

After finishing the verbal section, my heart was literally about to jump out in anxiety while waiting for the score to flash on the screen. I almost jumped out of seat seeing the score. Thanked Jesus for letting me finish the battle in the first go itself.

I've now a very tough task ahead of myself as the deadline of Darden is just 4 days away so I better spend the next few days sleepless. Thank you very much for having these great GMAT forums which have the most helpful people in the world!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VikingGMAT,
My post MBA goal is also to work in a hedge fund. Loved reading your debrief. Sent you PM. Would love to connect
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Awesome post. I'm just starting off my prep and your debrief provided me structure as to how should I move ahead
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
VikingGMAT wrote:
Today I took the GMAT at their NYC test center and got a 740. Stern,IMD,Darden and Stanford are the only schools I can apply to because I've missed the deadlines of a couple of other schools on my target. Although I am on a tight schedule as the deadlines of these schools is quite close but now after getting done with the GMAT successfully, I think that I'll be able to manage the applications also.

My profile :
Male with Finance Majors from University of Texas,Austin with 4 years of experience working on the East coast in financial consulting. Want to move to a hedge fund and MBA is almost a pre requisite for making this transition happen.

Prep Timeline:
I kicked off my prep quite late(mid October to be precise) and had taken a Dec 20th appointment within a few days of starting my prep. Come December first week and I realized that I'm not prepared for 20th Dec. I thought that I'd take a risk and give it a go but some friends at business schools suggested otherwise. They said that screwing my test meant that I'd have to wait for one more month,by when the R2 deadlines of all schools would be closed.
So it's better that I be a bit late than be sorry for 1 year so rescheduled the test for 5th Jan. Though that did mean that I'd not be able to apply to a couple of schools I wanted to but still would be left with some schools.

Prep Strategy:

My job involves a lot of traveling and it wasn't possible for me to enroll in a prep program so I had to manage my prep on my own. The GMAT forums proved very instrumental in helping me ride solo. Read a lot of success stories and followed the advices of the experts. Based on the advices here, used the following resources
Quant-Manhattan Strategy Guides
Verbal-Aristotle Grail series.

Although since i had a focus on accounting during my undergrad, still I had gotten quite rusty and ManhattanGMAT books came in handy for helping my sharpen my math skills.
My advice to the native speakers is to not take Verbal lightly. True we do have an advantage but still you still need to put those hours in Verbal. It'd become an easy ride if you are able to identify question types and errors easily and the next time you see them being tested on a question, you'd tackle the questions much confidently thinking"ahh! there it goes..". I loved the Aristotle Verbal books especially their SC Grail 3rd edition. Due to paucity of time, could only go through half of the RC Grail but the book is great too

Practice test scores :
I relied only on MGMAT and GMATPREP practice tests. I have heard good things about Kaplan's 8 practice tests but didn't have time to go through them.
These were my practice test scores:
GMATPREP#1 : 710-1 month before the test
MGMAT #1 : 680- 3 weeks before the test
MGMAT 2 : 720 - 2 weeks before the test

In the fortnight leading to the test, I took a break from work and took 7 tests in all-1 each day.
I think what you gain from doing a lot of tests is that you develop that patience to sit for 4 hours straight which is quite difficult. My iphone has made me all the more restless person as checking it every 10 minutes has become a habit(that I need to get rid of) so sitting for 4 hours taking the test was indeed testing the limit of your patience.

Test Day Experience:
I reached the test center well on time. The center staff was courteous.
Started with AWA and could easily spot 2-3 flaws in the prompt.IR went smoothly too. Faced a bit of trouble on Quant around 24-28th questions. There were a couple of inequalities DS questions. I hadn't touched Permutations and combinations during my prep so when I got two of these questions,
I just read the question quickly(to decide whether they are solvable or not) and then took a few seconds making an educated guess and moved on.

The ride in Verbal was a bit bumpy too mostly because I was running behind time. Contrary to what I had thought, the CR on the GMAT was quite manageable and I thankfully didn't get stuck deciding between the last two options after having eliminated 3 choices.
SC questions were like islands of pleasure after the tiring RCs. I think that SC Grail had prepared me quite well so I was actually looking forward to them during the test.

After finishing the verbal section, my heart was literally about to jump out in anxiety while waiting for the score to flash on the screen. I almost jumped out of seat seeing the score. Thanked Jesus for letting me finish the battle in the first go itself.

I've now a very tough task ahead of myself as the deadline of Darden is just 4 days away so I better spend the next few days sleepless. Thank you very much for having these great GMAT forums which have the most helpful people in the world!

Hey man...great story..where did you finally get admits from ? My profile is quite similar to yours..I'm joining school this fall..lemme know if you got through anywhere..we can connect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Sachin9 wrote:
hi vikinggmat
congrats on the great score. .

How was IR in comparison to the one in Manhattan CATs?

I find IR very time consuming on Manhattan CATs and I have never been able to complete the section in these tests. Couldn't go beyond the score of 1.7 so far..

Is IR really tough on teh gmat or is it manageable?

I've heard that IR on the actual exam is easier than that on GMATPREP. I think you should focus more on Verbal and Quant part
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts