Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
760 GMAT - 4/5 rejections (even w/o interview): Reapplication advice [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Wow my heart hurts for you. I applaud you for staying the course, that shows incredible resilience. I can't imagine how confused and dejected you must have felt after getting these results. I read the other post from November and I am so sorry no one responded to you.

So this is indeed a mystery and I do not think it relates to your GPA at all. Sometimes this kind of thing happens when recommenders do not allow them any transparency whatsoever with what they wrote. Did you get copies of your recommendations? I am wondering if there is some type of consistency issue which is an automatic ding, if they are saying things different to what you are saying about yourself.

Have you received a ding analysis from anyone and what did they say? GMAT1003

GMAT1003 wrote:
Hi,

2021 Applications Background: 4/5 rejections with 760 GMAT (https://gmatclub.com/forum/760-gmat-4-5 ... 76146.html)

So I have decided to give this another shot this year in R1 (I'll also probably add 1-2 more schools in Europe). Rotman will remain an option as a safety net.

Last year, while applying, I was working in a boutique investment bank with a focus on raising funds for infrastructure and renewable energy projects.

My short-term and long-term goals last year revolved around working at a bulge-bracket investment bank across industry groups, preferably with a focus on sustainability. My longer-term goal was to become a senior leader and create low-cost financing opportunities for innovative solutions that support the transition towards sustainable development.

At the start of this year, I got a great opportunity to join a VC/angel investment platform and took it. So now I am working on raising funds for early stage (seed, angel and pre-Series A mostly) companies across sectors (but I am trying to build a Sustainability-related focus as well by working on EV/other related deals). 

I have two questions:

1) Would this be considered a step-up in the reapplication?

2) I wanted to understand if changing my short-term and long-term goal would be possible, and if so, what should it be (especially because mentioning PE/VC is considered quite a red flag because of the dearth of post-MBA recruitment opportunities in the field)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for your prompt and insightful response. I've been told by a couple of people that Cambridge and Oxford are pretty rigidi on UG GPA, so reapplication wouldn't make any sense to either of those 2 colleges (especially within the next year).

I don't think the LoRs are an issue, as I have a copy of those and a couple of people have also seen them and not found any red flags.

I haven't got a proper ding analysis for my entire application though. Would also really appreciate if you could throw some light on the two queries that I have? :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: 760 GMAT - 4/5 rejections (even w/o interview): Reapplication advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I just don’t think that BBIB kept you out of business school. Especially when it’s in your vertical and everything, I mean yes you have to have goals with some relationship to your background but you also need to state a job that requires an MBA. So I’m just not sure I’m convinced that was the problem and fixating on the goals seems to me like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. I do think that your new job will be interesting and set you apart a little bit. And honestly it doesn’t seem like such a crazy idea to want to get into a larger VC shop post MBA if that is part of your background so I don’t think that’s super risky. Especially if you can demonstrate that you have connections and you can see the path and that all you need is an MBA in order to get there. So that’s what I would recommend do the legwork (networking, informational interviews) and tell them about it. I’m a little shocked that you haven’t gotten a ding analysis, I agree with Neha that you need to get that from (possibly several sources) to create a roadmap for your next application because as they always say if you do the same thing you’ll get the same result. Nobody is ever able to be objective about their own application. A fish does not know what water looks like. With regards to recommendations I am not convinced, for that same type of reason. And I think red flag is definitely not the standard you want to hold those to - rather, the same standard as the essays. So are they differentiating you articulating your best stories?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 760 GMAT - 4/5 rejections (even w/o interview): Reapplication advice [#permalink]