It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

760 (Q49, V45) 2 months study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

760 (Q49, V45) 2 months study [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 14:47
Hi Everyone,

Here is my little post on how I got a 760 with 2 months studying. I will try to be a bit more concise because there are already so many useful and detailed posts on GMATCLub already.

Materials Used, in order of importance:
1. GMAT Prep
- Did it 10 times, average score about 750 - 760. Real score was 760.
- Questions sometimes repeat but its still good. There are enough to keep you on your toes.
- Best for simulating the actual exam experience

2. OG11 - Did it twice. The best book to start studying from. Not so good for 700+.
3. MGMAT SC Notes
3. Kaplan Verbal Workbook and GMAT800 (these 2 are not crucial)
4. Extra: OG10 Verbal

As you can see, this advice has already been stated by tons of forum posts on GMAT Club, TestMagic, BeattheGMAT etc. Here are some of my own pointers for studying.

1. HAVE YOUR OWN STYLE.
This is so important. The tips found on forums/books are good but that doesn't mean they all work for you!
Example:
A common 'tip' is to write down a,b,c,d,e on paper for every question and cross them out as you eliminate answer choices. I tried it and thought it was a waste of time.
Another is to take notes for RC passages, or to use a skimming strategy with keywords written down. Tried these too, same result.
In fact, I read the entire RC passage in detail and then just do the questions. I don't read the questions beforehand either. This is the opposite of the strategies recommended by books and forum posters.

The lesson here is that what works for other people may not necessarily work for you. Be sure to experiment, and if you don't think a method is useful, just try something else. Once you do enough of one type of question, you should develop your own method. Don't worry too much about other people's methods. Just use them as a reference point.

2. Practice the AWA in GMAT Prep.
I do realize that most people are not too worried about the AWA, but it is really there to tire you out before the "real" GMAT. Doing the AWA portion extends the test duration by about 33% (3hrs to 4hrs), so pay attention to this endurance-sapping section.

3. Try to do the GMAT Prep many times
I understand that some forum posters stated that their GMAT Prep results do not reflect their real test results at all. However, if you do 10 GMAT Prep tests (with the AWA!) during the 2 weeks before Test Day and you get 740+ almost every time, then your confidence is likely to skyrocket. Confidence is important too!

I think that's all I have to say about my GMAT. If anyone has questions, just reply to this post and, time permitting, I will try my best to answer.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: 760 (Q49, V45) 2 months study [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 15:29
Great Score. Congrats !

what was your background, i mean are u from engineering background?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 16:54
Congratulations and thanks for the advice!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2009, 03:27
Any tips on pacing , and Verbal. Did you find the SC similiar to those in the OG. How were the CR.

You siad you did the OG 10 times, If you know the answer to many of the questions doesnt that impact your pacing, as you know the answer before hand.

On the Quant, how did you find it. Any questions on Probability and Perm & Combination.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2009, 13:43
Great score!! Congratulations!!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: 760 (Q49, V45) 2 months study   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2009, 13:43

760 (Q49, V45) 2 months study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap