Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 780 GMAT, low GPA, Poor work history, please advise. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Your key will be showing perseverance and ability to excel and take advantage of whatever resources you had in your situation/circumstances. If you had nothing and you were able to do something, that may be better than when you had everything and were able to do the same something.

However, not having FT work experience will likely be a big drag. I suggest you update your original posts to consultants with this tidbit as it is not very clear how much you worked, how much you were capable of working, etc. You will get more value out of the replies.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Your key will be showing perseverance and ability to excel and take advantage of whatever resources you had in your situation/circumstances. If you had nothing and you were able to do something, that may be better than when you had everything and were able to do the same something.

However, not having FT work experience will likely be a big drag. I suggest you update your original posts to consultants with this tidbit as it is not very clear how much you worked, how much you were capable of working, etc. You will get more value out of the replies.

Thanks a lot, will clarify in my other posts. If I work full time this year, I will have close to 2 years of FT experience. Trouble is, I have lots of part-time experience, but little full-time.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
kingturtle wrote:
Hello, thank you so much

Black/Hispanic mix

GMAT: 780
College GPA (biology): 3.1
Master's in biology GPA: 3.4

5 research (medical, biology) publications

STORY: I had cancer in college, close to dying, which motivated me to go into biology and do research. Volunteered a lot in research labs, and got name on 5 publications. Did master's in biology. Work as research assistant (which is sort of like a lab technician, on paper at least).

HOWEVER: I realized that I was not contributing to society as much by doing this sort of research. I feel that I can accomplish more by getting an MBA and going into Pharma industry or public policy/advocacy. Am very motivated to help develop new treatment. Being so close to death, and with the probability of recurrence, I realized that my time in the world is very limited, and want to maximize my impact.

I have also done web development on the side for the past 5 years.

what are my chances at M7? Thank you!

Excellent, unique profile without a doubt! And how impressive that such a challenge as battling cancer motivated you to do more for others!

The only issue with your profile is, as you already suspected, the lack of work experience. As it will be around the minimum required when you apply I do think there is a chance you will be admitted anyway, especially if you can make your essays amazing. Therefore, I would suggest you work with a professional on those in order to make sure they are the best they could possibly be.

Alternatively, working for another year would also make you a more attractive candidate if you are open to that idea.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Hi kingturtle,

As pointed out, and as you also realize, you face few challenges. Your best bet is to play to your strengths - a unique story, strong character, and passion for the field – in your application.
GMAT Club Bot