Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congraats guy
good luck with ur application process
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, so my application package arrived one day late, believe it or not, dispite the post office promising that it will arive on time. I found out one week later that they didn't send my application for review because I missed the deadline. I talked to them, and they decided that my application will be reviewed.

Well I didn't get either an admit or a reject. So this week my husband and I are in the area and I went to talk to the PhD administrator today. She told me that I'm on the waiting list. They sent out 12 admits, got 4 accepts and are still waiting for the others. They will let me know by the 15th. They strongly discourage applicants to talk to the faculties.

On the other hand, about two or three weeks earlier the medical school in U of R where my husband is going to work have heard about me. They invited me to apply for their health economic and policy program although it is way past the deadline and in their offering week. And they admited me the next week. I had a full day of meeting with the faculties and students in that department today. I have had such a positive impression about the welcoming environment in the department and the research opportunities in the area. They wanted me so much they are all over me.

I used to think that if Simon would have me there's no doubt that I'm going to accept. But now I've started thinking that it is actually a choice that I have to make, if Simon would actually admit me on the 15th. For I've had no opportunities to talk to their faculties and students and have no idea how I'm going to like the program. All I have is the hard facts such as their ranking and stuff.

What do you guys think?

And I have to give the med school a firm answer on the 15th also. It's going to be really tight.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Interesting... Since you are not applying for an MBA program there is not much I can say but did you not want to also give it a try at Wharton? And what about going a totally other route, you who wanted to do a PhD in Business Administration? I mean I don't doubt your ability at completing any kind of PhD but it is something you will need to address as to what you are looking for in a PhD.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did consider applying to Wharton next year and am still considering, since I have already missed their deadline this year. I have never considered health economics before they invited me. I do have a very limited experience working in the medical area, more or less related to the fact that my husband works in the med school. However it just seemed to be an entirely different carrer path. I initially gave them my application just so that I have a fall back plan so the family would not be seperated and I can still work on getting into Simon or Whaton. (It only took me a couple hours to fill out the forms so it's a cost effective fall back too.) Also, I thought that by keeping with PhD studying it may be helpful to convince Simon that I am interested in academia. However today's talk did open an entire door for me and I'm rather surprised that I actually like the things they do. Simon would still be my first preference but I'm just feeling a little cold because they didn't let me meet with their people. I would feel so much better if I could talk to somebody who is familiar with their program. It's not so much that I have abandoned the idea of working in the business administration area. It's more about the comparisons of the atmospheres and a worry if that is any indication of what I should be expecting if I do get to go to Simon. And again, I'm not so familiar with business school after all, so perhaps I'm a little bit overreacting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
My wife ,when she went to meet the admission officals in a local universtiry, did not like them at all,the response,the attitude and all that.She told me on that day that she is not going to join that university,she hates it.However I persuaded her to jion as I knew she was reacting to that day's happennings.This was three years back and today she graduated from there and happily working for one of the best firms.Today, she loves the university,she made good friends,she loves the factulty...

I donot know anything about PHD's but your experience with admission folks could be completely differrent from your actual experience in the school.

just two cents.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great socre.Great advice given in all your posts.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Paul and fdvh for you comments. I agree with you that I just haven't got the chance to form a proper impression yet. A lot of things in the business world is about taking risks huh? ;)

I'm sorry that I haven't been around much lately. I just flied back yesterday from Rochester (and Oh so tired). We've found a house that we liked and the seller had just accepted our offer. :-D So now all I need is for Simon to feel that I'm young enough to graduate from the waiting list and transcend into the admits. ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
Honghu....not knowing you that well but kinda a judging you from my web interaction with you...you wouldnt like MBA types...i think for one you seem to have an acedemic leaning...MBA types are all fluff and no content...I got to know this now that I am working with M&A investment bankers and not a single amongst them is decent, most of em are wharton grads...the HBS guy is the worst...its like they present case studies analysis which are so simplified and high-level that it doesnt mean much...I am begining to wonder if I should pursue an MBA now...but then again, I never looked at an MBA as a means of learning something new...but rather to use my MBA as a means to get promoted at my current job!

I think that if you are not looking to use your MBA as a trophy picture hanging diploma,then I suggest you stick with the PhD program.

HongHu wrote:
I did consider applying to Wharton next year and am still considering, since I have already missed their deadline this year. I have never considered health economics before they invited me. I do have a very limited experience working in the medical area, more or less related to the fact that my husband works in the med school. However it just seemed to be an entirely different carrer path. I initially gave them my application just so that I have a fall back plan so the family would not be seperated and I can still work on getting into Simon or Whaton. (It only took me a couple hours to fill out the forms so it's a cost effective fall back too.) Also, I thought that by keeping with PhD studying it may be helpful to convince Simon that I am interested in academia. However today's talk did open an entire door for me and I'm rather surprised that I actually like the things they do. Simon would still be my first preference but I'm just feeling a little cold because they didn't let me meet with their people. I would feel so much better if I could talk to somebody who is familiar with their program. It's not so much that I have abandoned the idea of working in the business administration area. It's more about the comparisons of the atmospheres and a worry if that is any indication of what I should be expecting if I do get to go to Simon. And again, I'm not so familiar with business school after all, so perhaps I'm a little bit overreacting.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Finally got the rejection email from Simon this morning. Although not unexpected, still quite disheartening. I"ll have to think about what I'm going to do for the next step now.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
aww...I think there are better things for you in the future...hold on tight...

:wink:

HongHu wrote:
Finally got the rejection email from Simon this morning. Although not unexpected, still quite disheartening. I"ll have to think about what I'm going to do for the next step now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
HongHu wrote:

honghu, it is unbelivable. how is it? ohh, an applicant like you (with such an increadible GMAT score and GPA, if i remember correctly your GPA is 4.00) can be rejected?

do they have any specifc reason?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
HongHu wrote:
Finally got the rejection email from Simon this morning. Although not unexpected, still quite disheartening.

definitly unexpected and unbelievable. i have nothing to say except simply unbelievable. how an applicant like you can be rejected? oh, no i cannot believe. they must have some other reasons such as late application...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
A minor reason I think is because I applied rather late. The major reason they gave me is that I'm 38 years old. They believed that it takes time to train a professional. It would take several years for him/her to be recognized in the field, etc. Which makes great sense. I'm currently trying to sell my house and we are going to move to Rochester around July. When I get to the University I would have more chances to get in touch with them. Perhaps they'll see more inside me than what it shows from all the papers.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm working on washing carpets and repainting walls etc. :-D But I'll be back real soon, especially if my house sell quickly. ;) (We just put it on the market today. :))
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
HongHu wrote:
A minor reason I think is because I applied rather late. The major reason they gave me is that I'm 38 years old. They believed that it takes time to train a professional. It would take several years for him/her to be recognized in the field, etc. Which makes great sense. I'm currently trying to sell my house and we are going to move to Rochester around July. When I get to the University I would have more chances to get in touch with them. Perhaps they'll see more inside me than what it shows from all the papers.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm working on washing carpets and repainting walls etc. :-D But I'll be back real soon, especially if my house sell quickly. ;) (We just put it on the market today. :))

that is uderstandable.
welcome back and all the best. 8-)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm eager to see you back soon Honghu. Although Simon did not accept you, I'm sure that something better awaits you somewhere else. I know it could be futile for me to say this but I sincerely think that there should be no age at which one should be denied a chance to learn. I know a colleague of mine who is in his 70's and who is now taking the GMAT to do a local MBA. It might be a bit of an extreme but it shows how one should not have barriers to one's genuine aspirations. We are with you and let us know how your journey unfolds.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I remember reading a paragraph (perhaps a GMAT reading material ;)) that says that many great contributions in different fields are made by people when they are younger than 40 or so. But a theory is that the first 10 years when a person enters a field is when his/her creativity is the strongest and after that he or she tend to be more conformed by the main flow in the field and may lose the initiativeness a bit. In other words the performance is related to the time a person stays in the field more than to his/her age. :) Plus it's not like academic research is something new and difficult for me to grasp. I just want to change the focus a bit. So I'm not worried myself. I just need to let them see it my way too. :D
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmmm

I belive the study compared crooks, theives and white collar professionals and they noted that crooks, like white collar professionals are at their peek in their late 30s.....

Honghu, I was at meeting with some Exec-MBA program directors and they told me most of their class is over the age of 35! It was strange since I am 26 and my company was sponsoring my EXEC-MBA (not anymore untill the end of the merger :( ) most of the program directors said to me I was too young, though ironically at the same level as those much older than me, the story the program director from INSEAD gave me was that I would be too young for my peers and might feel isolated....no wonder these french never figured out anything....

so my advice, apply for the exec-MBA or part-time PhD program....maybe that will fit your profile better...once you get in you can always switch to whatever you like!

HongHu wrote:
I remember reading a paragraph (perhaps a GMAT reading material ;)) that says that many great contributions in different fields are made by people when they are younger than 40 or so. But a theory is that the first 10 years when a person enters a field is when his/her creativity is the strongest and after that he or she tend to be more conformed by the main flow in the field and may lose the initiativeness a bit. In other words the performance is related to the time a person stays in the field more than to his/her age. :) Plus it's not like academic research is something new and difficult for me to grasp. I just want to change the focus a bit. So I'm not worried myself. I just need to let them see it my way too. :D
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts