It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

8/14/10 wedding feasible for Class of 2011 student?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 2

Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)
8/14/10 wedding feasible for Class of 2011 student? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
I've got a wedding coming up -- I'd rather plan it for May 2010 (between finals and an internship), but August 14, 2010 works out best for the venue.

When do internships typically end?

Is anyone else planning something similar?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 1

Schools: HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.
Re: 8/14/10 wedding feasible for Class of 2011 student? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 11:54
If you're a male -- completely unfeasible. You'll need to be single for at least one more year at b school.

If you're female -- by all means -- get married as soon as possible!

Disclaimer -- I just got engaged, am male, and am shooting for a June 2015 wedding.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 244 [1], given: 17

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
RahlowJenkins wrote:
If you're a male -- completely unfeasible. You'll need to be single for at least one more year at b school.

Disclaimer -- I just got engaged, am male, and am shooting for a June 2015 wedding.

June 2015? Wow, talk about planning ahead!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 244 [1], given: 17

Manager
Manager

Schools: HBS(08) - Ding. HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck, Stern, all dings. Yale - Withdrew App. Emory Executive -- Accepted, Matriculated, Withdrewed (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose). ROSS -- GO BLUE 2011.

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 12:46
Jerz wrote:
RahlowJenkins wrote:

June 2015? Wow, talk about planning ahead!

Too soon Jerz? I could opt to wait til I make partner at <insert top 3 consulting firm>

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 13:25
Depends on the school and their time-line. I know if you had a 10 week internship at Kellogg it would end after that and if a company requires 12 weeks you would really be screwed. I do know people getting married but all are putting off honeymoons. I would look at the schools calander and figure it out. I know at least one person who changed from a summer wedding to getting married over winter break next year because they have a 12 week internship and couldnt make it work.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks everyone, I should have included school-specific info.

Olin starts back up (with mandatory re-orientation) on August 23 2010. I can't imagine an internship going up to Friday 8/20/10, but there's a chance I could be looking at one ending 8/13/10 (which would be the day of the rehearsal dinner).

Is there a typical span of time that internships end before class starts?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2009, 19:37
Most companies have 10 to 12 week internships...some are flexible. Mine wants a minimum of 10 but has no max. Depending when your school ends in the spring some companies have set start dates. So you may not start for a few weeks after your finals. How long is your summer break going to be...I think Kelloggs is 13 weeks. So 10 weeks would give you plenty of time...though a honeymoon in a week might be tough.

Also, I would not recommend working the day before your wedding...at least take a few days off. Its amazing the last minute things that come up and most likely you wont be working in the city/town you are getting married in. You definitely need to be on hand for wedding stuff.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2009, 01:59
Depending on the company, 9-12 weeks may work. At Haas, we have an International Business Development Program that eats up 3-4 weeks of our time, so 1/3 of the class (probably up to more than 1/2 next year as we expand the program) will NOT be able to work more than 10 weeks (some only 9 weeks, in my case). So far NO company that recruits at Haas has complained about a 10 week internship, so take that however you like. :)

With that said, I would probably do the wedding 1-2 weeks before school starts, giving you at least 10 week internship.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Re: 8/14/10 wedding feasible for Class of 2011 student?   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2009, 01:59

8/14/10 wedding feasible for Class of 2011 student?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: aeropower, OasisGC, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap