GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

80 point increase in 2 months?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
80 point increase in 2 months?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 12:37
Hi everyone,

The GMAT is one of the most challenging things I've done (and I've trekked 16K feet with no prep) and I couldn't have done it without GMAT Club. This forum is everything a potential GMAT taker needs - thank you!

I'd be delighted if anyone could help me with my retake. Here we go:

MGMAT 1: 590 Q37 V34
GMAT Prep: 640 Q40 V38
MGMAT 2: 640 Q39 V38
MGMAT 3: 640 Q42 V36
MGMAT 4: 620 Q39 V36
MGMAT 5: 630 Q39 V37
GMAT Prep: 730 Q47 V42
GMAT 6th Dec: 620 Q40 V35

Background: BBA, GPA: 3.5/4.0

Prep:
I'll be honest, my prep wasn't strong in retrospect. I spent August doing concepts from e-GMAT. That was a great resource for Verbal but not one bit for Quant, which happens to be my weakness. I solved the end of chapter questions in e-GMAT to start with and I did fairly ok with them (40%-70%). I then had a 2 week break due to work.

In October, I did some quant concepts from MGMAT for some problem areas that I was weak in. Then, I solved from a question bank from Sandeep Gupta's notes. These were great for Verbal but I got very overwhelmed seeing the number of Quant questions and I never knew where to start. I relied on my MGMAT assessment reports to focus on certain areas. However, in the next test I'd get better with that topic but fall short on a previously strong topic. I also barely cracked the 700-800 question barrier as I was getting most 600-700 level questions wrong.

I was obviously not expecting to break the 700 mark in my actual GMAT but I was hoping to get to 660-670, given my mocks. On th exam day, my order was Verbal-Quant-IR-AWA. I rushed the first part of Verbal as I was nervous and I found it much tougher than MGMAT and GMAT Prep. Quant, I thought I was doing well, but clearly I wasn't.

I've had a break of a month and I've restarting prep. I honestly am put off by my math anxiety and how I cant seem to retain math concepts. I blank out when I see questions and although I understand once I see the solution, it's challenging for me to retain the framework.

I'm not aiming for a super high score; I'd be content with a 700-710. This translates into a quant component of atleast 47. I'm confident of taking my verbal up to 40 but I'd need guidance for Quant. I don't want to do any GMAT classes because they're just too expensive and I don't learn Math well in a group setting.

Hoping to get the GMAT out of the way in the next 2 months. Please help!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 80 point increase in 2 months?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 20:29
Hi shreeja27,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, most of your CAT score results - along with your Official GMAT Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 630 +/- a few points; the 730 is a significant 'outlier', so we have to question how you took that CAT). Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Raising a 620 to a 700+ will likely take at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Many Test Takers feel a bit 'overwhelmed' by the GMAT at first. You're going to come to find that most of the Quant is actually material that you've learned before, with a few specialty subjects thrown in (permutations, combinations, probability, etc.). Most of the work that you'll have to do in that section is based on basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry (but no Trigonometry and no Calculus). It's important to note that the Quant section is NOT a "math test" (although you will do lots of little calculations as you work through it) - so beyond (re)learning the math, you also have to learn Tactics, pattern-matching, Number Properties, etc. to maximize your performance.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) When you took your CATs, did you take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

examPAL Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 03:54
shreeja27 As Rich stated, your score makes sense given your mock performances. This does seem to reflect the level you are currently at.
What this means is that getting a significantly higher score (and the difference between 630 and 700 is significant) entails fundamentally raising your GMAT level. This doesn't mean you have to everything over, but rather that you should build a study plan focusing on the areas you are having trouble with - primarily quant. As Rich noted, this has to do with not only going over the quantitative material (which is quite basic) but learning efficient solution strategies.
It sounds to me like you may want to consider a course. Given that you are don't want to do a classroom course for reasons of both price and format, you may want to consider an online one.

Here is a blog post I have written on score improvement which you may want to look at.

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 09:29
shreeja27 wrote:
Hi everyone,

The GMAT is one of the most challenging things I've done (and I've trekked 16K feet with no prep) and I couldn't have done it without GMAT Club. This forum is everything a potential GMAT taker needs - thank you!

I'd be delighted if anyone could help me with my retake. Here we go:

MGMAT 1: 590 Q37 V34
GMAT Prep: 640 Q40 V38
MGMAT 2: 640 Q39 V38
MGMAT 3: 640 Q42 V36
MGMAT 4: 620 Q39 V36
MGMAT 5: 630 Q39 V37
GMAT Prep: 730 Q47 V42
GMAT 6th Dec: 620 Q40 V35

Background: BBA, GPA: 3.5/4.0

Prep:
I'll be honest, my prep wasn't strong in retrospect. I spent August doing concepts from e-GMAT. That was a great resource for Verbal but not one bit for Quant, which happens to be my weakness. I solved the end of chapter questions in e-GMAT to start with and I did fairly ok with them (40%-70%). I then had a 2 week break due to work.

In October, I did some quant concepts from MGMAT for some problem areas that I was weak in. Then, I solved from a question bank from Sandeep Gupta's notes. These were great for Verbal but I got very overwhelmed seeing the number of Quant questions and I never knew where to start. I relied on my MGMAT assessment reports to focus on certain areas. However, in the next test I'd get better with that topic but fall short on a previously strong topic. I also barely cracked the 700-800 question barrier as I was getting most 600-700 level questions wrong.

I was obviously not expecting to break the 700 mark in my actual GMAT but I was hoping to get to 660-670, given my mocks. On th exam day, my order was Verbal-Quant-IR-AWA. I rushed the first part of Verbal as I was nervous and I found it much tougher than MGMAT and GMAT Prep. Quant, I thought I was doing well, but clearly I wasn't.

I've had a break of a month and I've restarting prep. I honestly am put off by my math anxiety and how I cant seem to retain math concepts. I blank out when I see questions and although I understand once I see the solution, it's challenging for me to retain the framework.

I'm not aiming for a super high score; I'd be content with a 700-710. This translates into a quant component of atleast 47. I'm confident of taking my verbal up to 40 but I'd need guidance for Quant. I don't want to do any GMAT classes because they're just too expensive and I don't learn Math well in a group setting.

Hoping to get the GMAT out of the way in the next 2 months. Please help!

Hi
Sorry to hear that your Gmat didn't go well.
First of all, I would suggest to brush up the fundamentals of Gmat Quant section by studying from the MGMAT guides.
They are comprehensive and cover all topics of the Gmat. Secondly during practice also you must time yourself. In that way, you will come to know which topics require more time and hence more attention. Try to stick mostly to OG material.For more Quant practice you can subscribe to Gmat club tests. The Quant tests are truly wonderful and forces you to think in the direction that the Gmat will test you on. Also, Bunuel's signature questions are a must solve. Hope it helps.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 01:09
EMPOWERgmatRichC thank you for your swift response, Rich. Here are my answers to your questions:

1) When you took your CATs, did you take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?
Except on two occassions, I took the full CATs. My sequence for these was Verbal-Quant-IR-Essay (my actual GMAT sequence).

2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
I'm only focussing on Singapore so if I do get a good score, I shall try to submit for NUS R2. Also, will be applying to the Jan intakes for INSEAD and SMU.

3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
Answered above.

4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
I can put in 2-2.5 hours on weekdays and 6-7 hours on weekends.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 01:11
DAVEexamPAL you hit the nail on the head, my base concepts are clear but I need guidance on execution strategies. I had taken an online course, e-GMAT and this proved effective for Verbal. I'm open to a course or a 1-on-1 tutor for Quant, let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 01:12
souvonik2k thanks for your tips! I have been recommended the GMAT club tests by another friend as well and I'm going to go ahead with that. Let me know if you have any other tips, strategies or resources for effective quant.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 12:37
Hi shreeja27,

Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under 2 months, which would fit your timeframe nicely. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 14:50
shreeja27 wrote:
Hi everyone,

You don't have to get a 47 on Quant to get a 700! For instance, 43Q/42V will give you approximately 700 overall.

Have you considered doing guided self-study, like GMAT Interact? It's less expensive and you don't have to work with other students.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 80 point increase in 2 months? &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jan 2018, 14:50

80 point increase in 2 months?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap