GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 14:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

93 percentile verbal, but 12 percentile quant. Overall score of 560.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
93 percentile verbal, but 12 percentile quant. Overall score of 560.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 23:46
Hey everybody,

I'm just wondering if any of you think I should retake the GMAT. My scores are as follows: 27 Quant (12 percentile), 41 verbal (93 percentile), and 6 IR (70 percentile). The overall score is 560 (42 percentile). I'm not entirely sure what happened with the Quant section, but I straight up flunked it. My question is: should I hurry to retake the GMAT so that I can apply to the MBA programs I'm interested in, or just try to explain my low quant scores during the application?

The main business school I'm interested in is Leeds Business school (University of Colorado, Boulder). I've already been accepted for my JD there and I want to do the joint JD/MBA program. The problem is that the deadline for applying is quickly approaching and waiting to retake the GMAT will put me applying during Final Review, which will drastically decrease my chances of acceptance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: 93 percentile verbal, but 12 percentile quant. Overall score of 560.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 00:40
ramus123 wrote:
Hey everybody,

I'm just wondering if any of you think I should retake the GMAT. My scores are as follows: 27 Quant (12 percentile), 41 verbal (93 percentile), and 6 IR (70 percentile). The overall score is 560 (42 percentile). I'm not entirely sure what happened with the Quant section, but I straight up flunked it. My question is: should I hurry to retake the GMAT so that I can apply to the MBA programs I'm interested in, or just try to explain my low quant scores during the application?

The main business school I'm interested in is Leeds Business school (University of Colorado, Boulder). I've already been accepted for my JD there and I want to do the joint JD/MBA program. The problem is that the deadline for applying is quickly approaching and waiting to retake the GMAT will put me applying during Final Review, which will drastically decrease my chances of acceptance.

It is better to retake GMAT. can you post your ESR?
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 93 percentile verbal, but 12 percentile quant. Overall score of 560.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 08:08
ramus123 wrote:
Hey everybody,

Hi ramus123,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! Firstly congratulations on a great Verbal score. It is indeed impressive. As Quant is easily improvable, I recommend that you re-take GMAT once to see if you can improve your Quant score and get it above Q42 as that will also bring your score above 650. One month of dedicated study may get you a score of Q40+ It is always better to apply with your best possible application even if it means waiting for a later round, ratherthan submitting a sub-par application by rushing to apply for an earlier round.

Hope this helps. All the best!
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 08:54
Hi ramus123,

Welcome to gmatclub!

Also check out this article:
What Does the AdComm Really Think About Round 3?

Hope this helps!
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 10:43
ramus123 wrote:
Hey everybody,

Your verbal score is pretty amazing. You should, however, consider improving your Quant score. I feel with some practice you should be able to improve it.

All the very best!!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 14:58
Hi ramus123,

Many Schools publish 'class profile' data, including information on average GMAT Scores, "middle 80" Scores, etc. Do you have any of that data for this specific Program? We'd be better able to assess how this Score might measure up if you did have that information. A Q27 might be seen as a 'red flag' at certain Programs, so retesting (with the goal of raising that Quant Scaled Score) is a reasonable idea - although it might not actually be necessary.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What is the application deadline for this Program?
6) Are you planning to apply to any other Programs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 17:27
Hi ramus123,

You probably are going to need to retake the GMAT. That said, before providing more detailed advice, I’d like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions asked, I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 93 percentile verbal, but 12 percentile quant. Overall score of 560.   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2019, 17:27

93 percentile verbal, but 12 percentile quant. Overall score of 560.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep