GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 342
Location: Turkey
Schools: UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Sep 2016, 04:45
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (02:39) correct 38% (02:31) wrong based on 115 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and I was (x+2) in year k". What is the value of k?

(1) k is less than 1850
(2) k is more than 1800

Originally posted by maliyeci on 28 Aug 2016, 12:48.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Sep 2016, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
RENAMED THE TOPIC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 297
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 17:53
1
maliyeci wrote:
A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and I was (x+2) in year k". What is the value of k?
1-k is less than 1850
2-k is more than 1800


The stem can be written in algebraic form as \(k - (x + 2) ^2 = (x+2) and reduced to k = (x+2)(x+3)\)

Consider 1) \(X\)can have multiple values for \(K\) when \(K\) is below 1850 (\(x\) can be from 0 to 40 ), Not sufficient . Eliminate A and D

Consider 2) Same as 1) \(X\) can have multiple values. Eliminate B

Consider 1) and 2) Only one value of \(X\) holds true for \(K\) between 1850 to 1800. Answer is C
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 117
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
Re: A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 18:38
Senthil1981 wrote:
maliyeci wrote:
A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and I was (x+2) in year k". What is the value of k?
1-k is less than 1850
2-k is more than 1800


The stem can be written in algebraic form as \(k - (x + 2) ^2 = (x+2) and reduced to k = (x+2)(x+3)\)

Consider 1) \(X\)can have multiple values for \(K\) when \(K\) is below 1850 (\(x\) can be from 0 to 40 ), Not sufficient . Eliminate A and D

Consider 2) Same as 1) \(X\) can have multiple values. Eliminate B

Consider 1) and 2) Only one value of \(X\) holds true for \(K\) between 1850 to 1800. Answer is C


Hi Senthil1981,

I got up to k = (x+2)(x+3) but then picked E.

How have you concluded that only one value of x between 1800 and 1850 satisfies the equation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 297
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 19:19
1
Donnie84 wrote:
Hi Senthil1981,

I got up to k = (x+2)(x+3) but then picked E.

How have you concluded that only one value of x between 1800 and 1850 satisfies the equation?



Hi Donnie84, We know \(40^2 = 1600\), so i picked 42 and 43 and applied in the equation and (x+2) = 42 satisfied the condition.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 117
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
Re: A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 19:51
Senthil1981 wrote:
Donnie84 wrote:
Hi Senthil1981,

I got up to k = (x+2)(x+3) but then picked E.

How have you concluded that only one value of x between 1800 and 1850 satisfies the equation?



Hi Donnie84, We know \(40^2 = 1600\), so i picked 42 and 43 and applied in the equation and (x+2) = 42 satisfied the condition.


Interesting technique. Made sense.
+1 to you.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3625
Reviews Badge
Re: A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 10:39
1
Donnie84 wrote:
Senthil1981 wrote:
Donnie84 wrote:
Hi Senthil1981,

I got up to k = (x+2)(x+3) but then picked E.

How have you concluded that only one value of x between 1800 and 1850 satisfies the equation?



Hi Donnie84, We know \(40^2 = 1600\), so i picked 42 and 43 and applied in the equation and (x+2) = 42 satisfied the condition.


Interesting technique. Made sense.
+1 to you.


Yes, if we got k = (x+2)(x+3) , we know that k is a product of tow consecutive integers. So, only 42*43 will be such a product that would be > 1800 but less than 1850. Hence, C.
_________________
My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11376
Re: A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 19:22
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2018, 19:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A author writes in his book : "I was born in year (x^2 + 4x + 4 ) and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne