Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2829 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Arsene, your feeling is analogous to that of people taking a Kaplan test the few days before their GMAT. The challenges are purposely difficult so do not lose heart if you do not do well in them. In some of the tests, I got a 66 percentile score but I still ended up with a 49Q(90th percentile) in my actual exam.

The good thing about you doing such a challenge at this point in your preparation is that you have plenty of time ahead of you to practice. The test was like a wake up call. Now that you know where your errors lie, you have to focus on those weak points. Keep an error log and practice the type of questions that you missed; there is no substitute for practice. Spend as much time as you can in the math forum. Remember that 3 months is a lot of time so do not lose hope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
venksune wrote:
Take a deep breath. The good news is that your exam is only April 12 and you have time to do systematic preparation. Such bouts of stress is very normal during your prep - its happened to many - so you are not alone. The best thing to do is to not get worked up and hurt yourself.

Here's my 2 cents. The best thing to do now is to review where the problem is. Pls idemntify where your concepts are weak and spend a day only on those areas. ex. if you think perm/comb is an issue - learn the concepts and practice a few different types of problems. If inequalities is the issues, repeat the above process. The idea is to get the concepts cleared out.

Its also a great idea to visit the Math forum and try questions in your weak areas alone. You'll also get an idea of how others are solving it and what common mistakes people do - which you'd avoid as you practice along.

Your paronia is in a way good - because it keeps us focussed on the task ahead with more sincerity.

So take it easy...you are already on your way to a great score.

Warm regards,

Venksune-
I want to follow that approach too because following latest posts kind of goes all over the place since there isn't a categorization at this point. However, I search for areas and solve the sums. The problem is this with the searches to sort problems: I can't get all DS questions. It just doesn't return only DS. Same goes for SC or CR as the search criteria. Wondering how that can work. Could you help?

Arsene, dont worry I am in the same boat..I think our best approach is to just tackle problem areas focus on key concepts. Don't worry if you don't get them the first time just practise. The one thing that GMAT requires is practise.

All the best.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Arsene_Wenger, don't worry about your performance at the challenge. It is designed to be HARD. Look at the rankings for each challenge you'll see lots of people didn't solve many of the questions. And that's ok! GMAT test is much easier than our challenge. Most of the test questions is actually easier than the ones posted in the Math forum. I made lots of errors in answer the math questions posted here too. But the thing is this will give you a sense where your weakness is and you can work on it, and be extra careful about it when you take the real exam.

Once again, it's perfectly OK to not do very well for our challenge. Don't sweat yourself!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys. This is obviously one reason why I feel so much at home in this arena! You guys have certainly lifted my spirit to the heavens, and I feel the FORCE returning. Guess what? I braced up earlier today, thanks to your kind words, as well as Hong's phenomenal performance, reviewed the same Challenge that ruined my day and realized that everything (except 2 questions that i'll check out later) was solvable! I think i was under pressure earlier today and can't explain why. When is the next challenge? I can't wait! Finally, i can visit the bathroom!

rxs, venksune, paul, hong: I owe you guys one! You are the best. You all are in fact!

Bozo: I believe we can get there. We'll have no excuses if we don't. The concepts are pretty simple but most often, your psychology plays a big role on match day. Under exam conditions, it may take me as much as 3 mins to solve a problem (i am always so conscious of time and too anxious), and offcourse, i'll fluff it, but when i am relaxed, i solve questions quicker, ace them, and my confidence soars! I carefully went through Challenge 16 (review) and i couldn't believe i was getting most answers right on second try. I don't think we should spend a lot of time learning the same concepts from books, because often, these books teach you similar things. Rather, we should practice and practice for only then do the concepts, shortcuts, twists, etc, become clearer, and very interesting! :-D

My Lesson: GMAT is a psychological test. Loose confidence and you are bananas! Gain confidence and it's '...bring 'em on'. I hope greenandwise sees this before he goes to Mordor for battle!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just saw your post and don't worry, no stinking Nazgul is going to get in the way of me fighting the GMAT :twisted: for middle earth.....just to keep with you Lord of the Rings metaphor :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
greenandwise wrote:
Just saw your post and don't worry, no stinking Nazgul is going to get in the way of me fighting the GMAT :twisted: for middle earth.....just to keep with you Lord of the Rings metaphor :-D

Good luck greenandwise ! Go crack it !
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]