Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619063 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
A certain South East Asian county produces plenty of onions. The avera [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
A certain South East Asian county produces plenty of onions. The average prices of onion in local currency had not exceeded Rs 10 the previous years. This year the monsoons have been good and the production is said to be more than in previous years. Yet the country’s poor Joe (meaning common man) has to shell out close to Rs 100 per kg of onions, nearly ten times the previous prices.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the sudden change in situation described above?

A. Onion usage has gone down tremendously this year for fear of catching Flu.

B. There is another variety of onions known a small onion, which is more popular because of better taste than that of large onions

C. Onion production has been going up in recent times due better strains released by Agricultural University.

D. In a misjudgment, the government opened up export quotas for onion in order that take advantage of the high prices prevailing in importing countries.

E. The Country’s Publics Distribution System is an woefully slothful system

daagh 's old question from the archive,

A demand / Supply and pricing scenario is presented.

We know High Supply is Inversely Proportional (Demand being the same) and vice versa....

However supply has Increased and there is a constant Increase in price, the reason could be some leakage in the system (Exporting goods to foreign markets to reap huge profits), thus, the answer has to be (D).

yonseiglobalstudent wrote:
There are a few typos in the answer choices.

Edited, hope Bunuel doesn't mind. :grin: :grin:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: A certain South East Asian county produces plenty of onions. The avera [#permalink]
Can someone help me understand why A is incorrect? I would not say that this is out of scope. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
Send PM
A certain South East Asian county produces plenty of onions. The avera [#permalink]
Gemelo90 wrote:
Can someone help me understand why A is incorrect? I would not say that this is out of scope. Thanks.

See acc to me, the question is all about supply and price and not about usage even though they are related. This point seems a little out of context. I mean if I have to choose between A and D. I will choose D, as it talks about forced reduction in supply to local people due to leak in supply to exports which resulted in increase in price. So it suits the context more. Hope it helps.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: A certain South East Asian county produces plenty of onions. The avera [#permalink]
Antreev wrote:
Gemelo90 wrote:

See acc to me, the question is all about supply and price and not about usage even though they are related. This point seems a little out of context. I mean if I have to choose between A and D. I will choose D, as it talks about forced reduction in supply to local people due to leak in supply to exports which resulted in increase in price. So it suits the context more. Hope it helps.

Posted from my mobile device

Adding to that .....

argument Should stand firm while strength/weaken/explain. the intended option should just affect it. As did option A, how much extent you want onion to be affected. if 80-100% what 100/kg is doing i mean when quantity is very less , people don't try to purchase it. on the other hand D is make impact. and situation is as intact as it should be. D is the best answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts