Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [38]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [8]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: A certain store sells chairs individually or in sets of 6. The store [#permalink]
Kudos
Solution:
In this question we can directly give the answer as “C”, that is the beauty of the DS questions. Even without solving the question we can answer by reading the question and analyzing the statements properly.
In this question, if we analyze the statement 1 and 2 properly we get the relation between the cost of the set of 6 chairs and the cost of the individual chair. Hence we can find the answer to the question by combining the statements.

Let’s solve the question in detail :)

Let the cost of the set of 6 chairs be “a”, and the cost of the individual chair be “b”.

Analysis of statement 1: The charge for purchasing a set of 6 chairs is 10 percent less than the charge for purchasing the 6 chairs individually.
From this statement, we can find the relation between “a” and “b”
i.e. \(a=0.9 ×6b\)
We have two unknowns and only one equation, we cannot get the values of “a” and “b” here.
Hence statement 1 is not sufficient to answer. We can eliminate options A and D.

Analysis of statement 2: The charge for purchasing a set of 6 chairs is $20 more than the charge for purchasing the 5 chairs
From this statement we get; \(a=5b+20\)
We have two unknowns and only one equation, we cannot get the values of “a” and “b” here.
Hence statement 2 is not sufficient to answer. We can eliminate option B.

Combining the statements 1 and 2 we get;
From statement 1; \(a=0.9 ×6b\)
From statement 2; \(a=5b+20\)
Here we have two distinct linear equations we can find the unique values of “a” and “b”.
[Note: Do not waste time-solving the equations and finding the values of “a” and “b” :) ]
Hence combining the statements we get the answer.

The correct answer option is “C”.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A certain store sells chairs individually or in sets of 6. The store [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts