Last visit was: 14 Jul 2024, 10:57 It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 10:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 586 [11]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [9]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 5312 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 586 [0]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: A certain store sells only records and CDs. All CDs cost $7.82, includ [#permalink]
pushpitkc wrote:
7.82x + 4.18y < 25(y - total number of records bought , x - total number of CDs bought) If x=0 & y >= 6, the total cost cannot be less than 25.
When the number of CDs is greater than 0, this statement is obviously going to fail.
Hence, this condition is sufficient.

2 He bought atleast one CD. However we don't know the total amount he spent at the store. So he could have bought any 2 number of CDs or even 6 number of CDs.

This condition alone is not sufficient. (Option A) is the solution

hello
Can you please explain how & y >= 6?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: A certain store sells only records and CDs. All CDs cost $7.82, includ [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
eantolovic wrote:
Hello Brent,

I appreciate your logic in answering this question; however, I am struggling on a fundamental necessity in order to make this true. Statement (1) declares "Yesterday, John spent less than $25 at the store." It doesn't say what he spent that money on, whether it was CD's, records, or candy at the register. Therefore, we cannot determine whether he bought 6 records, 5 records and some candy, or none at all. On behalf of this logic I can only surmise that Statement (1) is insufficient evidence in order to answer "Yesterday, did John buy more than 5 records at this store?"

Statement (2) would also be insufficient since we are still unaware whether John bought more than 5 records.

Since Statements (1) & (2) are insufficient, we can now determine if they can be combined. If (1) states John spent less than $25, and (2) states John bought at least 1 CD, then we now know for sure that John wouldn't have enough remaining funds to buy those 5 rad vinyls on display. Therefore, and according to this line of reasoning, the answer would be .

Be careful. The part in blue above is not correct.
While we may not know exactly what was purchased, we can be certain that John did NOT buy 6 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 7 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 8 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 9 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 10 records (because that would cost more than $25)
.....etc

So, even though we have no idea what John purchased, we can be 100% that John did NOT buy 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, (etc) records.
In other words, we can definitively answer the target question with a resounding "NO"

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 542
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
eantolovic wrote:
Hello Brent,

I appreciate your logic in answering this question; however, I am struggling on a fundamental necessity in order to make this true. Statement (1) declares "Yesterday, John spent less than $25 at the store." It doesn't say what he spent that money on, whether it was CD's, records, or candy at the register. Therefore, we cannot determine whether he bought 6 records, 5 records and some candy, or none at all. On behalf of this logic I can only surmise that Statement (1) is insufficient evidence in order to answer "Yesterday, did John buy more than 5 records at this store?"

Statement (2) would also be insufficient since we are still unaware whether John bought more than 5 records.

Since Statements (1) & (2) are insufficient, we can now determine if they can be combined. If (1) states John spent less than $25, and (2) states John bought at least 1 CD, then we now know for sure that John wouldn't have enough remaining funds to buy those 5 rad vinyls on display. Therefore, and according to this line of reasoning, the answer would be .

Be careful. The part in blue above is not correct.
While we may not know exactly what was purchased, we can be certain that John did NOT buy 6 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 7 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 8 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 9 records (because that would cost more than $25)
We can also be certain that John did NOT buy 10 records (because that would cost more than $25)
.....etc

So, even though we have no idea what John purchased, we can be 100% that John did NOT buy 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, (etc) records.
In other words, we can definitively answer the target question with a resounding "NO"

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent

Yes, it does. I do realize that studying all day can lead to hopeless errors, but my mind must have been so tangled yesterday to overlook something so simple as that :dazed Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the unnecessary challenge. I'll delete my comment in order not to confuse any others. Have a great day!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94342 posts