GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 05:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 1063
A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2008, 09:39
2
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (00:38) correct 11% (00:45) wrong based on 465 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible to fill a position in the mathematics department and 2 of 10 candidates eligible to fill 2 identical positions in the computer science department. If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments, how many different sets of 3 candidates are there to fill the 3 positions?

A. 42
B. 70
C. 140
D. 165
E. 315

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: a-certain-university-will-select-1-of-7-candidates-eligible-103273.html
CEO
CEO
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3484
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2008, 09:48
4
E

N=7C1*2C10=7*45=315
we use 2C10 rather than 2P10 because "2 of 10 candidates eligible to fill 2 identical positions in the computer science department"
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 430
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2008, 18:20
well , I could get the OA, but can someone please explain what is the significance of this statement
"If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments",.
I thoght we were finding combinations of eligible candidates!
_________________

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1774
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2008, 18:41
4
vscid wrote:
well , I could get the OA, but can someone please explain what is the significance of this statement
"If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments",.
I thoght we were finding combinations of eligible candidates!


it means that the candidates of science department can not be eligible for the math department. Two groups are saperate, no overlap
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2482
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2008, 20:32
marcodonzelli wrote:
A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible to fill a position in the mathematics department and 2 of 10 candidates eligible to fill 2 identical positions in the computer science department. If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments, how many different sets of 3 candidates are there to fill the 3 positions?

A. 42
B. 70
C. 140
D. 165
E. 315


7/1!*6! --> 7 * 10!/2!*8! --> 5*9 --> 5*9*7 =315
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 430
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2008, 15:54
sondenso wrote:
vscid wrote:
well , I could get the OA, but can someone please explain what is the significance of this statement
"If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments",.
I thoght we were finding combinations of eligible candidates!


it means that the candidates of science department can not be eligible for the math department. Two groups are saperate, no overlap


got it!
had got confused with the wording.
thanks!
_________________

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2008
Posts: 180
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2009, 10:51
A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible to fill a position in the mathematics department and 2 of 10 candidates eligible to fill 2 identical positions in the computer science department. If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments, how many different sets of 3 candidates are there to fill the 3 positions?

A. 42
B. 70
C. 140
D. 165
E. 315

Ans: 315

7C1 * 10C2
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 202
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2009, 09:20
This can be a tricky question in terms of wording. As we have to find out the different sets of both, we need to multiply each of the combinations.

Therefore 7C1 * 10C2 = 315
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Posts: 26
Location: Ukraine
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2010, 14:09
is it for real 700-Level Question????
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 7
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2012, 01:18
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
marcodonzelli wrote:
A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible to fill a position in the mathematics department and 2 of 10 candidates eligible to fill 2 identical positions in the computer science department. If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments, how many different sets of 3 candidates are there to fill the 3 positions?

A. 42
B. 70
C. 140
D. 165
E. 315


7/1!*6! --> 7 * 10!/2!*8! --> 5*9 --> 5*9*7 =315

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you please explain why is it 7C1 ?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47981
Re: prob prob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2012, 01:30
2
2
Weirdo2989 wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
marcodonzelli wrote:
A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible to fill a position in the mathematics department and 2 of 10 candidates eligible to fill 2 identical positions in the computer science department. If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments, how many different sets of 3 candidates are there to fill the 3 positions?

A. 42
B. 70
C. 140
D. 165
E. 315


7/1!*6! --> 7 * 10!/2!*8! --> 5*9 --> 5*9*7 =315

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you please explain why is it 7C1 ?


A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible to fill a position in the mathematics department and 2 of 10 candidates eligible to fill 2 identical positions in the computer science department. If none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments, how many different sets of 3 candidates are there to fill the 3 positions?

A. 42
B. 70
C. 140
D. 165
E. 315

As "none of the candidates is eligible for a position in both departments" then we have 7+10=17 candidates.

\(C^1_7*C^2_{10}=7*45=315\): \(C^1_7\) - choosing 1 from 7 and \(C^2_{10}\) choosing 2 from 10 when order doesn't matter as 2 positions in computer science department are identical (XY is the same as YX).

Answer: E.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: a-certain-university-will-select-1-of-7-candidates-eligible-103273.html
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 7756
Premium Member
Re: A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 22:55
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 22:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A certain university will select 1 of 7 candidates eligible

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.