GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 04:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:50) correct 37% (01:42) wrong based on 199 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration of a particular chemical. A part of the chemical agent was kept aside and equal quantity of water was added to the remaining chemical agent. The chemical now forms what percentage concentration in the final mixture?

(1) Each bottle of the chemical agent contains 60 ml of the mixture.
(2) 60 percent part of the chemical agent in the bottle was kept aside and equal quantity of water was added to the remaining chemical agent.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 04:24
The chemical agent(kept in bottles) had 50% concentration.
A part of this solution was kept aside(had to be diluted with water)
Adding the chemical agent(in bottles) with the chemical agent(once diluted) will give a mixture.
We need to find out how much percentage concentration is present in that final mixture.

Knowing how much chemical agent, without the number of bottles present and the
quantity of the agent kept aside, we can't give the final concentration(Not sufficient)

(2) 60 percent part of the chemical agent in the bottle was kept aside
and equal quantity of water was added to the remaining chemical agent.
It has been given that the quantity kept aside was 60% of the total chemical solution
and was diluted in the same proportion, we can clearly tell that the chemical is 50% of the final mixture(Sufficient) (Option B)

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Manager
Manager
B
Re: A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 01:07
Not totally clear about the question and solution. Can any one please show me detail solution on this?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
Re: A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 01:57
lichting wrote:
Not totally clear about the question and solution. Can any one please show me detail solution on this?

My approach:-
The chemical concentration is 50%, given in the question stem. After some part of chemical is removed then we're asked to find the final concentration of the chemical left.

i) Here it's given that chemical is 60 ml and hence total solution volume = 120 ml.
This much info isn't enough to deduce the chemical concentration left after remove a part of chemical.
Hence A is insufficient.

ii) Here it's given that 60% of the chemical was removed.
Now suppose total volume was 100 ml. Hence the chemical content initially = 50% of 100 ml = 50 ml
Now after 60% is removed from 50 ml. Left chemical = 40% of 50 = 20 ml
Hence chemical concentration = (20/100)*100
Hence B is sufficient.

Good things are going to happen. Keep fighting for what you want. Don't worry and have faith that it'll all work out!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: XLRI
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V19
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 21:11
hi chetan2u

I m unable to assimilate the info provided in the question !

Stem says a chemical agent is kept in bottles, where as option B says the bottle. so i thought more info is needed in addition to option B .
But OA is B.
Kindly let me know "where i was wrong?"
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 21:16
gvvsnraju@12 wrote:
hi chetan2u

I m unable to assimilate the info provided in the question !

Stem says a chemical agent is kept in bottles, where as option B says the bottle. so i thought more info is needed in addition to option B .
But OA is B.
Kindly let me know "where i was wrong?"

Hello

I think it just means that this chemical agent is always kept in particular bottles of equal size and equal concentration of the chemical agent. This is just given so that we can treat all bottles of this agent alike.

And then statement 2 just talks about one of the bottles out of the many.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: XLRI
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V19
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 21:31
Hi amanvermagmat

Thanks for your reply.

Even i thought the same what you said.

But Option A made my head rotated by citing "Each bottle of the chemical agent contains 60 ml of the mixture".

kindly advise me how can i avoid such confusions hereafter.
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 21:37
gvvsnraju@12 wrote:
Hi amanvermagmat

Thanks for your reply.

Even i thought the same what you said.

But Option A made my head rotated by citing "Each bottle of the chemical agent contains 60 ml of the mixture".

kindly advise me how can i avoid such confusions hereafter.

Hello

Well, the question stem says that each bottle is 50% concentrated (which means whatever be the total quantity of solution in it, 50% of it will be chemical agent and rest 50% will be water).
Statement 1 gives additional info by saying that actual quantity of solution (or mixture) is 60 ml. So now combining it with question stem we can conclude that out of this 60 ml, 50% or 30 ml is the chemical agent and rest 30 ml is water.

Well, such confusions can be resolved by understanding, and understanding will come by resolving our doubts like this - as you are doing right now :) Thats what I believe.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 03:40
Bunuel wrote:
A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration of a particular chemical. A part of the chemical agent was kept aside and equal quantity of water was added to the remaining chemical agent. The chemical now forms what percentage concentration in the final mixture?

(2) 60 percent part of the chemical agent in the bottle was kept aside and equal quantity of water was added to the remaining chemical agent.

gvvsnraju@12,

concentrate means % of the chemical, so 50% concentrate means 50% water and 50% chemical..
chemical mixture means a mix of chemical, water etc

now..
we know whatever we remove 50% of it will be the chemical and other 50% will be water...
so if we are looking for percentage concentration in the final mixture, the % of mix taken out will be ok as only that % is getting added as water..

say 10% is removed. this 10% has 5% of water and 5% chemical, BUT now we add this entire 10% as water
so water increases by 5% and chemical reduces by 5% and the concentrate becomes 50-5=45%.

we can say 30ml is water and 30ml is chemical
insuff

so 40% of initial quantity is remaining, which will have 20% of initial quantity as water and 20% of initial quantity as chemical..
we add 60% water back to it.. so chemical remains 20% of initial quantity and 20%+60=80% of initial quantity as water
suff

B

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 16:15
I got the answer right but can someone confirm if this method of equating amount is correct in this case.

So, after 60% chemical agent (of say v volume) is taken out, the chemical conc. is still 50% but the amount will be 50%*30% of soln =15%
once it is replaced by same amount of water the amount of chemical doesnt change. so, the final volume is back to v again

so. can i say (50%)(30% of v)=(final concentration)*(v)

so, final concentration = 15 %
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 08:16
krish76
Bunuel wrote:

we dont't need to calculate the answer :-)
weighted average method can be used here
let the percentage of the chemical in the final solution be x%

quantity of remaining chemical agent = P
quantity of water added = Q

therefore \frac{P}{Q} = \frac{(0-x)}{(x-50)}

\frac{P}{Q} = \frac{x}{(x-50)}

therefore to get the percentage of chemical in the final solution we need to have the ratio of the remaining chemical and water

statement 1 : gives only total quantity of original chemical agent. No suff.
statement 2: provides ratio of remaining chemical and water. sufficient

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jun 2018, 08:16

A chemical agent is kept in bottles having 50 percent concentration

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap