GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 05:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (00:56) correct 43% (00:50) wrong based on 276 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the surveillance capabilities of United States satellites would enable a skilled photographic interpreter to distinguish between Guernsey and Hereford cows grazing in a meadow.

(A) between Guernsey and Hereford cows grazing

(B) between Guernseys and Hereford cows that graze

(C) among Guernseys and Hereford cows that are grazing

(D) among Guernsey and Hereford cows as they graze

(E) Guernseys from Hereford cows grazing

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 11:04
Distinguish between X and Y and Distinguish X from Y are both correct on the GMAT, however I would like to go with the Original Sentence and mark my answer as (A)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
S
Re: A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 14:40
I think A is better than B because 'would' indicates that the interpreter will distinguish at a future time- distinguish while both types are grazing.

Bunuel wrote:
A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the surveillance capabilities of United States satellites would enable a skilled photographic interpreter to distinguish between Guernsey and Hereford cows grazing in a meadow.

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 05:19
Abhishek009 wrote:
Distinguish between X and Y and Distinguish X from Y are both correct on the GMAT, however I would like to go with the Original Sentence and mark my answer as (A)

Hi Abhishek,
I chose E, thinking of the idiom Distinguish A from B
On what basis we can discard the Option E?

KUDOS PLEASE, If my post Helped you.
Thank you

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 05:21
Hey Bunuel,
what do you think about option E?. why it is incorrect

KUDOS PLEASE, If my post Helped you.
Thank you

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 05:23
guys i have a doubt
what is wrong with B? is usage of 'that' wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 09:45
MikeHelios wrote:
guys i have a doubt
what is wrong with B? is usage of 'that' wrong?

Option (B) means that "satellites ... distinguish between Guernsey and Hereford cows that particularly graze in a meadow".
Now ask yourself can satellites distinguish between Guernsey and Hereford cows in general? Probably yes, why do we need "that" in this case?
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 10:59
er.arun88 wrote:
Hey Bunuel,
what do you think about option E?. why it is incorrect

Read the 2 sentences aloud:

1. distinguish between red and green apples--------> correct, as 'apples' is common to the list of two types- red and green

2. distinguish red from green apples --------------------> incorrect because grammatically apples is not implied after red.

That's why E is incorrect.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 16:27
er.arun88 wrote:
about option E?. why it is incorrect

In (A) we understand that there are Guernsey cows and Hereford cows
in (E) we see Hereford cows and Guernseys
And we do not know what is "Guernseys" - it is not clear and because of it the comparison is not right.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 18:49
VeritasKarishma mam I marked Option B as the answer as usage of among is incorrect in Options C and D and in Option E distinguish X from Y is unidiomatic usage. How is usage of that incorrect in Option B? Kindly explain

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 04:56
vasuca10 wrote:
VeritasKarishma mam I marked Option B as the answer as usage of among is incorrect in Options C and D and in Option E distinguish X from Y is unidiomatic usage. How is usage of that incorrect in Option B? Kindly explain

First of all. "Distinguish X from Y" is also a correct usage.
Second of all. Guys, don't you read the thread at all before asking the question?
In the posts above given at least 2 explanations, why (B) is incorrect (in discussing of options B and E).
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 10:06
vasuca10 wrote:

Option (B) is incorrect.
"that graze ..." indicates a defining relative clause.
It means that surveillance would enable one to distinguish Guernsey cows from those Hereford cows which graze in a meadow - this is illogical.

Actually, as per (A), one would be able to distinguish between Guernsey and Hereford cows grazing in a meadow - which means distinguish between the two kinds of cows while they will be grazing in a meadow.

And yes, distinguish X from Y is fine. (E) is incorrect because it compares Guernsey cows (notice the use of Guernseys) with Hereford cows which would be grazing in a meadow. The word "cows" has to be coming to both so we need to use "Guernsey" and "Hereford".

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 14:32
vasuca10 wrote:
Understand the meaning difference.

Ram, a stict vegetarian, yells at people eating meat.
( ram yells at the people whom he founds eating meat. This action takes place at the time frame of the main sentence.)

Ram, a strict vegetarian, yells at people who eat meat.
( ram will yell at anyone who eats meat as in general. This is habitual action for Ram)

_________

Try to apply this analogy in the given question. Consider kudos if that helped.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Re: A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the &nbs [#permalink] 23 Aug 2018, 14:32

A former director of the Central Intelligence Agency has said that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap