It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 13:15

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A funny thing happened while taking today’s free GMAT tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE: Education (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
A funny thing happened while taking today’s free GMAT tests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 23:20
Disclosure: I have not taken a standardized test in 27 years, and I have been retired for 8 years. I am taking these prep classes and practice tests to help my kid prep for his GMAT in April’18. I prepped just during the last 2 days and took two free GMATs today. I took the first test as directed, and used some of the tactics I had just learned. (TEST IT, LADDER the PARAGRAPH, AD/BCE, ANSWERS are ASSETS, the 7 BIG NUMBERS, read at 150WPM, in A-- E answers: guess B or E, PATTERN TRIAGE -- guess D or E, etc.) I earned a 270. =( (Q1: 8 right/ 29 wrong. V1: 21 right/18 wrong.) I made lots of silly mistakes and forgot some math operations. After some turkey and pumpkin pie, I tried a second test. However, the second time I just guessed. I just guessed! This time I earned a 260. =( (Q2: 8 right/ 29 wrong. V2: 22 right/ 19 wrong.) However, the second time, I guessed correctly more 700 level questions than easier questions. The same results? WTF? So, guessing is just as good as being old, slow and stupid? I gotta long way to go...

McCombs MBA 1990, Hook'Em Horns. I am helping my son prep for 2019, while trying to keep a 66 y.o. brain active. ;-)

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3690 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: A funny thing happened while taking today’s free GMAT tests [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 14:06
Hi RigelKent,

While it certainly makes sense to begin with an initial Diagnostic CAT (so that we can assess your current skills, strengths and weaknesses), you should NOT have taken that second CAT so soon. 2 days of general study won't be enough time to properly practice any of the skills that you'll need to score at a high level on the GMAT and it's worth noting that a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

From your own admission, you made lots of little mistakes - but those little mistakes will 'kill' your score on the Official GMAT, so part of your focus going forward really needs to be on the 'precision' in your work (proper note-taking, attention-to-detail, etc.). You'll find that most GMAT questions are actually 'gettable', but you have to put in the necessary effort and do the work 'on the pad' (NOT 'in your head') to pick up the points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3690 [0], given: 173

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 18:06
RigelKent wrote:
Disclosure: I have not taken a standardized test in 27 years, and I have been retired for 8 years. I am taking these prep classes and practice tests to help my kid prep for his GMAT in April’18. I prepped just during the last 2 days and took two free GMATs today. I took the first test as directed, and used some of the tactics I had just learned. (TEST IT, LADDER the PARAGRAPH, AD/BCE, ANSWERS are ASSETS, the 7 BIG NUMBERS, read at 150WPM, in A-- E answers: guess B or E, PATTERN TRIAGE -- guess D or E, etc.) I earned a 270. =( (Q1: 8 right/ 29 wrong. V1: 21 right/18 wrong.) I made lots of silly mistakes and forgot some math operations. After some turkey and pumpkin pie, I tried a second test. However, the second time I just guessed. I just guessed! This time I earned a 260. =( (Q2: 8 right/ 29 wrong. V2: 22 right/ 19 wrong.) However, the second time, I guessed correctly more 700 level questions than easier questions. The same results? WTF? So, guessing is just as good as being old, slow and stupid? I gotta long way to go...
That's an interesting reason to be preparing for the GMAT :-)

Be careful if your source is telling you to blindly guess B/E or D/E. The GMAT doesn't have a preference for particular options.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE: Education (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 20:39
In my euphoria over correctly guessing so many 700 questions, I forgot to mention the “huge” guessed verbal score. V1 = V2? Qu’est-ce que c’est? On the second try, it seems I was penalized for finishing the test in less than 15 minutes...It seems the GMAT algorithm is designed to assume that the participant is trying for a score > 700. What if the participant only wants a score ~ 600? Average? Yes! The average is really hard to beat! Just look at the “peloton” during the Tour de France. How many riders are ahead? Not many...Throughout my academic, military and work career, I have been a B test-taker, but an A performer. In tests, I earn more A’s than C’s. So, my lifetime test average is 83, and my lifetime GPA ~ 3.2. However, what I learn, I really do learn and put into practice. I am able to spot opportunities, find niches, solve problems, innovate and add value to all the stakeholders...This guessing experience somewhat reminds me of a Star Trek TNG episode. Data is challenged to play a game with an expert. This expert is a sentient organic being who has never been defeated. At every turn of the game, Data frustrates the expert. The expert resigns and Data wins. When asked his strategy, Data explained that he was not trying to win, he only wanted a draw. Data had determined that the expert’s strategy was totally based on the assumption that all opponents wanted to win...During Test 1, my mistakes were dumb. However, many times I could not understand the question to form an algebraic expression. I have to work on that...I missed several geometry problems because I did not know that “altitude,” in GMAT lingo, also means “length,” not just distance “up and down.” Lesson Learned: Just go slow on the next GMAT practice exam. For Test03, I will diligently try to answer only 30 verbal questions (2.5 minutes @) and 25 quant problems (3.0 minutes @). I’ll just guess the rest. Next free tests: 12/10 & 12/25. Don't forget to have fun...

McCombs MBA 1990, Hook'Em Horns. I am helping my son prep for 2019, while trying to keep a 66 y.o. brain active. ;-)

Re: A funny thing happened while taking today’s free GMAT tests   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2017, 20:39

A funny thing happened while taking today’s free GMAT tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap