Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: a huge difference in practice test scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anirudhrao wrote:
I recently took a magoosh practice test and scored a 570 on it. 3 days later I took up the official GMAT practice test and I ended up scoring just a 500. Is this because magoosh is not an appropriate score detector? If it is, why do I see such huge fluctuations in my scores?

Hi anirudhrao,

Every score estimate (and even the actual GMAT score) involves some error, but non-official tests are not expected to be as accurate as official tests. Also, we cannot rely on positive online posts, because there will always be people for whom the estimates were close to their actual GMAT scores.

This is not to say that you shouldn't use non-official practice tests. They can be a part of your prep, but we really shouldn't expect them to be as accurate as the official practice tests. I recommend that you (a) prioritize official tests, (b) not take your lowest (or highest) scores as being very representative, and (c) focus on looking at your performance as being in a range or band, rather than as a a specific number.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
anirudhrao wrote:
I recently took a magoosh practice test and scored a 570 on it. 3 days later I took up the official GMAT practice test and I ended up scoring just a 500. Is this because magoosh is not an appropriate score detector? If it is, why do I see such huge fluctuations in my scores?

Hi anirudhrao,

The official mock tests are the most reliable mocks as they replicate the GMAT algorithm in the best possible way. Having said that, to understand the reason behind the difference in scores, I suggest you to analyze both the mocks. By analyzing, I mean, go through the solution of each question, compare your approach with the right one and check if there's any difference. I want you to understand whether you have solved the questions using the right methods or you got lucky with a few questions.

The scores keep varying when your approach of solving questions is not consistent. The solution for that is to learn the right methods to solve questions. Once you do that, you can practice questions. But, I see that you are still having a few conceptual gaps. So, try to learn the concepts perfectly and once you do that, learn the right process of solving questions.

And I can help you in a better way if you can tell me a few more details about your GMAT preparation.

• What is your target score?
  • Which resources you are using right now?
  • Is there any specific study strategy you are following?

Answers to these questions will help me guide you in a better way. You can write back to me here or a better way would be to discuss the same over a call. You can use the link below to schedule a call with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi anirudhrao,

You ask a great question. Certainly, when you take practice tests from companies other than GMAC, you may find some variation in algorithms used and thus variations in your score. When do you plan to take your next official practice exam?

Also, if you would like some more detailed advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills feel free to reach back out. In the meantime, here is a helpful article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
GMAT Club Bot