GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 10 Jul 2020, 15:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A merchant decides to sell off 100 articles a week at a selling price

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Math Expert
V
A merchant decides to sell off 100 articles a week at a selling price  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 03:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:34) correct 67% (03:08) wrong based on 3 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A merchant decides to sell off 100 articles a week at a selling price of $150 each. For each 4% rise in the selling price he sells 3 less articles a week. If the selling price of each article is $x, where x > 150, then which of the below expression represents the amount in dollars, the merchant will receive from the sales of the articles in a week ?

A. 175 - x/2
B. x/3 + 156
C. 350 - x^2/2
D. x^2 - 2x + 75
E. x^2 + 2x + 75

Project PS Butler

Subscribe to get Daily Email - Click Here | Subscribe via RSS - RSS

Re: A merchant decides to sell off 100 articles a week at a selling price  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 04:59
Bunuel wrote:
A merchant decides to sell off 100 articles a week at a selling price of $150 each. For each 4% rise in the selling price he sells 3 less articles a week. If the selling price of each article is $x, where x > 150, then which of the below expression represents the amount in dollars, the merchant will receive from the sales of the articles in a week ?

A. 175 - x/2
B. x/3 + 156
C. 350 - x^2/2
D. x^2 - 2x + 75
E. x^2 + 2x + 75

I'm either not understanding the question correctly, or there is a problem with it. When the price is $150, the merchant makes $15,000. If he raises the price slightly he will make roughly that amount, so D and E are the only reasonable answers (A, B and C are far too small). But we can see that if he raises the price 4%, to $156, he will sell 97 items. His revenue will be 156*97 dollars. That's an even number, but answers D and E will both be odd numbers if you plug in x = 156. So none of the answer choices could be right.

It's unclear to me exactly what the question is asking, because it's not clear if the percent increase described is meant to compound. Assuming it is not, then since 4% of $150 is $6, when the price increases by $6, the vendor sells 3 fewer items.

We're told the price is $x. The number of items sold will be 100 - 3*(x - 150)/6 = 100 - (x-150)/2 = 175 - (x/2).

Multiplying number of items by price, we get revenue:

x(175 - x/2) = 175x - x^2/2

so that should be the answer, unless I've misunderstood what the question is trying to say.

Note also that if the sales drop by 3 for every $6 increase in price, so drop by 1 for every $2 increase in price, we should expect the revenue to be $0 when the price is $350 (because if the price rises by $200, sales drop by 100, so sales drop to zero). So we should expect something like (350 - x) or (175 - x/2) to be a factor of the correct answer here, a fact one might be able to use to avoid doing all the work above.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A merchant decides to sell off 100 articles a week at a selling price   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2020, 04:59

A merchant decides to sell off 100 articles a week at a selling price

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics