GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 811
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Oct 2013, 23:46
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:15) correct 50% (01:04) wrong based on 205 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the ratio of its length to its width is 2 to 1. If rectangle S is silver, is rectangle R silver?

(1) R has the same area as S
(2) The ratio of one side of R to one side of S is 2 to 1.

_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________


Originally posted by TGC on 17 Oct 2013, 22:31.
Last edited by Bunuel on 17 Oct 2013, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 811
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 22:38
Since "S" is silver the ratio for its L/B=2/1

(1).

Sides of R can be in any ratio provided the area of R=S

Consider for S : 4:2
For R it can be : 4:2 or 8:1

Hence Insufficient

(2).

Consider this we don't have enough info

Hence Insufficient

Combining them

Consider length of R/S=2/1 and both the areas will have to be same

S: L=2 and B=1
R: L=4 and B=1/2 Hence R is not silver

Consider width of R/S = 2/1 and both the areas will have to be same

S: L=4 and B=2
R: L=2 and B=4 Hence R is not silver

Hence Both combined are sufficient. However , per the source the answer is (E).

Please advise what I am missing here.

Rgds,
TGC!
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49271
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 23:56
2
TGC wrote:
Since "S" is silver the ratio for its L/B=2/1

(1).

Sides of R can be in any ratio provided the area of R=S

Consider for S : 4:2
For R it can be : 4:2 or 8:1

Hence Insufficient

(2).

Consider this we don't have enough info

Hence Insufficient

Combining them

Consider length of R/S=2/1 and both the areas will have to be same

S: L=2 and B=1
R: L=4 and B=1/2 Hence R is not silver

Consider width of R/S = 2/1 and both the areas will have to be same

S: L=4 and B=2
R: L=2 and B=4 Hence R is not silver

Hence Both combined are sufficient. However , per the source the answer is (E).

Please advise what I am missing here.

Rgds,
TGC!


Consider two cases:
S is 4 by 2 and R is 4 by 2.
S is 4 by 2 and R is 8 by 1.

Answer: E.

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 430
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2013, 10:44
1
Because they are both rectangles, does it matter that we don't know the side which the ratio is applied to from (2)? In other words, is the test trying to trick us by specifying that "if and only if the ratio of its length to its width is 2 to 1" whereas (2) doesn't specify if the ratio is of length to width or width to length?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49271
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2013, 06:07
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Because they are both rectangles, does it matter that we don't know the side which the ratio is applied to from (2)? In other words, is the test trying to trick us by specifying that "if and only if the ratio of its length to its width is 2 to 1" whereas (2) doesn't specify if the ratio is of length to width or width to length?


(2) is not sufficient, because it talks about R and S, not only about R: The ratio of one side of R to one side of S is 2 to 1.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 430
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2013, 13:11
Bunuel wrote:
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Because they are both rectangles, does it matter that we don't know the side which the ratio is applied to from (2)? In other words, is the test trying to trick us by specifying that "if and only if the ratio of its length to its width is 2 to 1" whereas (2) doesn't specify if the ratio is of length to width or width to length?


(2) is not sufficient, because it talks about R and S, not only about R: The ratio of one side of R to one side of S is 2 to 1.


Does my attached diagram make sense?
Attachments

EXAMPLE.png
EXAMPLE.png [ 63.29 KiB | Viewed 2510 times ]

GMATH Teacher
User avatar
B
Status: GMATH founder
Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 175
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 12:12
TGC wrote:
A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the ratio of its length to its width is 2 to 1. If rectangle S is silver, is rectangle R silver?

(1) R has the same area as S
(2) The ratio of one side of R to one side of S is 2 to 1.


The correct answer is (E) , as proved in the ALGEBRAIC-GEOMETRIC BIFURCATION shown in the image attached.


This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Attachments

16Set18_4v.gif
16Set18_4v.gif [ 20.06 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]


_________________

Fabio Skilnik :: http://www.GMATH.net (Math for the GMAT)
Course release PROMO : finish our test drive till 30/Sep with (at least) 60 correct answers out of 92 (12-questions Mock included) to gain a 70% discount!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Feb 2017
Posts: 179
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 17:14
S is 2x by x so that it's a "silver"

(1) Area of R is 2x^2
R can be 2x by x so that it's a "sliver"
or 2/3x by 3x so it's not a sliver
Insufficient

(2) R can be 4x by 100000x
Or 4x by 2x
ETC.
Insufficient

(1) and (2)
R is 4x by 1/2x which is not a sliver
Or 2x by x which is a sliver

Answer E
Re: A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat &nbs [#permalink] 16 Sep 2018, 17:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A rectangle is defined to be "silver" if and only if the rat

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.