Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [98]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [21]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4154 [17]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering from severel [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
While I agree that E is the correct answer, How in the world will/can Sleep deprivation help depression?

I had to make sure twice/thrice the meaning of the word "lifted"

Lifted (removed/increased) I know its the former because the Q asks for reasons on why it is not being used.

Where is this Q from?
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering from severel [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Icandy,

While everyone is on top of the right answer here, I thought I'd respond to Icandy's complaint with a general note. Remember, it's not your place to get too involved with the "realities" of the premises. If the passage lists something as a fact, then you must accept it as a fact.

Also, for what it's worth, most of the passages are taken from actual science, so unless this is a terribly faked passage, there is probably some science to back up the claim.

Hope that helps!

-t
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
I am confused with this question and will appreciate if someone can help me.

"loss of sleep lifted their depression" means "loss of sleep increased their depression" or "reduced their depression"?

lift means to raise or increase. Then how do we decide that in context of this question the meaning of lift was to "remove depression"

Coming to the question, the author says that "Loss of sleep cannot be used for treatment of depression" and we have to find a reason to support that.

How did we conclude on (E) as the answer. Can some one please explain this.
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Seekmba,

Actually, lifted does not mean raised in this context. It means more like "lifted away". If I say that my depression has lifted, it means that it has gone away. To be more specific, here are two definitions taken from my trusty dictionary:

[ intrans. ] move upward; be raised : Thomas's eyelids drowsily lifted | their voices lifted in wails and cries.
• [ intrans. ] (of a cloud, fog, etc.) move upward or away : the factory smoke hung low, never lifted | the gray weather lifted on the following Wednesday.

The question here refers to that second definition.

Hope that helps!

-t
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Good replies above on why E is the correct answer. I was just talking to a student about ruthless quick-elimination based on scope (a really valuable skill) and thought it might be useful here too. As you get really good at recognizing what is or is not relevant to the conclusion, you can often avoid thinking too much about the answers at all-- as *soon* as you recognize it's out of scope (which can take 3 seconds sometimes!) you can cross off that choice and move on. If something looks like it will take a little more time to evaluate, feel free to *defer* rather than spending a lot of time to evaluate it in sequence. You may get rid of all the others quickly, which will leave you with the correct answer in the least amount of time. Or you may come across something clearly better down the road (again, the most efficient use of time).

We're being asked to explain why sleep deprivation, while successful at lifting depression after a night, isn't used to treat depression.

(A) "For a small percentage of patients"-- you can almost stop reading here. Who cares about a small percentage, unless there is some really horrible side effect? A quick skim of the rest of the choice reveals that this group experiences something GOOD, not bad. Nix.

(B) Keeping depressed patients awake is more difficult than keeping awake people who are not depressed. Again, who cares? We only care about treatment of depression-- we're not comparing depressed people to un-depressed people.

(C ) Prolonged loss of sleep can lead to temporary impairment of judgment comparable to that induced by consuming several ounces of alcohol.
(Hmmm...This one actually does show a negative effect of sleep deprivation. I might DEFER here.)[/color]

(D) The dramatic shifts in mood connected with sleep and wakefulness have not been traced to particular changes in brain chemistry. Who cares about *why* it works (unless, again, there's some negative?) We know THAT it works, and want to know why we don't use it more.

(E) Depression returns in full force as soon as the patient sleeps for even a few minutes.

Whoa, in full force? And in even a few minutes? Well, we clearly have to sleep at some point, so this is a BIG drawback, and much more directly so than C. So we don't have to waste time thinking intensely about C (which is less relevant to the issue we're trying to resolve), and can go with E in the least possible amount of time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
can anyone help
I have a little query .I picked C.My line of reasoning was as the option says that the loss of sleep caused impairment of judgement and the people reported that missing a night's sleep immediately lifted their depression,cant it be a case where because of this impairment in judgement they felt relieved of their depression while actually they were not.As soon as they gained proper judgement they they felt depressed.So this is supposed to mean loss of sleep actually does not lift depression and gives the strongest cause for it not to be used as a treatment.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
therock99 wrote:
can anyone help
I have a little query .I picked C.My line of reasoning was as the option says that the loss of sleep caused impairment of judgement and the people reported that missing a night's sleep immediately lifted their depression,cant it be a case where because of this impairment in judgement they felt relieved of their depression while actually they were not.As soon as they gained proper judgement they they felt depressed.So this is supposed to mean loss of sleep actually does not lift depression and gives the strongest cause for it not to be used as a treatment.

So, you mean that a person can be depressed even though he does not think so.

Isn't depression a state of mind? Aren't you depressed only when you think you are depressed?

-Chiranjeev
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So, you mean that a person can be depressed even though he does not think so.

Isn't depression a state of mind? Aren't you depressed only when you think you are depressed?

-Chiranjeev[/quote]

Hi
Thanks for replying
Yes depression is a state of mind .But it is caused by the circumstances we are in .An impairment of ones judgement can cause a person to judge those circumstances differently and be relieved of that depression.But that relief is temporary and false.

for example if i cant judge my GMAT score to be good or bad .I will be happy if I get a 100 (100 was almost the best I could get in my board exams) .I wont be depressed with my score .But when I am able to judge then only I can understand its a bad score and be depressed about it.The temporary problem in judgement does no good to my depression only hides it for a moment which will come back as soon i find my reasoning

Just one more example :A hears that his shop is burned and is depressed.Go tell him it wasnt ur shop but ur neighbors n he is relieved.It dat a solution to his problem of depression I would say NO

You can say its a far fetched conclusion but still this proves that loss of sleep does not solve the problem but just hide it

E as it stand is a stronger contender.But just want to know a solid reason to eliminate C
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
therock99 wrote:

Hi
Thanks for replying
Yes depression is a state of mind .But it is caused by the circumstances we are in .An impairment of ones judgement can cause a person to judge those circumstances differently and be relieved of that depression.But that relief is temporary and false.

for example if i cant judge my GMAT score to be good or bad .I will be happy if I get a 100 (100 was almost the best I could get in my board exams) .I wont be depressed with my score .But when I am able to judge then only I can understand its a bad score and be depressed about it.The temporary problem in judgement does no good to my depression only hides it for a moment which will come back as soon i find my reasoning

Just one more example :A hears that his shop is burned and is depressed.Go tell him it wasnt ur shop but ur neighbors n he is relieved.It dat a solution to his problem of depression I would say NO

You can say its a far fetched conclusion but still this proves that loss of sleep does not solve the problem but just hide it

E as it stand is a stronger contender.But just want to know a solid reason to eliminate C

Ok. I think whether we take your interpretation (depression was there but they did not feel it) or my interpretation (depression was not there) for option C, it does not matter much because option C uses the word "temporary", so even if the depression is healed, it is temporary. So, it sort of explains why sleep-deprivation is not used.

But again, we both agree that option E is better and the questions asks us to find the "best" answer statement, not the "correct" one.

-Chiranjeev
Manager
Manager
Send PM
egmat wrote:
therock99 wrote:

Ok. I think whether we take your interpretation (depression was there but they did not feel it) or my interpretation (depression was not there) for option C, it does not matter much because option C uses the word "temporary", so even if the depression is healed, it is temporary. So, it sort of explains why sleep-deprivation is not used.

But again, we both agree that option E is better and the questions asks us to find the "best" answer statement, not the "correct" one.

-Chiranjeev

Thanks for replying ,
yes I do agee with the answer but I just wanted to clarify my thought process,I have noticed that the more you think in these CR question the more you get them wrong .They basically are maths question where you have to apply simple addition subtraction on the value(premise) and come up with the answer .When u actually start reasoning in critical reasoning u get all question wrong .
Is this what think ,or is what happens to others also
One more question,I have seen people talk about prephrase and prethink....but when u think over the top...it takes mor tym fer u cum bak and see the obvious choice ...wuldnt it be better to analyse the choices on their merit rather dan make ur own answer b4 diving into the answer choice .Bcoz wat i see is 90 % of cr is in ur face answers and we confuse ourself by thinking too much :shock:
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
therock99 wrote:
Thanks for replying ,
yes I do agee with the answer but I just wanted to clarify my thought process,I have noticed that the more you think in these CR question the more you get them wrong .They basically are maths question where you have to apply simple addition subtraction on the value(premise) and come up with the answer .When u actually start reasoning in critical reasoning u get all question wrong .

Is this what think ,or is what happens to others also

NO. The more you think, the better you become. The more critically you see, the more clear and sure you become of your answers. Critical Reasoning is not at all like Maths. In Maths, there is always black and white. In CR, there is a lot of grey area. Even in the question we discussed, we saw that option C could be interpreted in different ways and could be a weak contender for the answer. This is never applicable in Maths.

Also, you NEVER get questions wrong even if you think INFINITELY more than required. The only requirement is that you don't go in the wrong direction. This requirement is even applicable when you think little. Right?

We at e-GMAT not only read and solve OG questions but also eat, drink and breath them. You can look at our articles to get a sense of that:

list-of-free-e-gmat-cr-resources-156073.html#p1246727

But this kind of analysis of OG questions does not make us wrong but instead supremely confident of the answers and the explanations we provide.

Also, even if you look at this question, you knew that option E was better than option C. Right?

therock99 wrote:
One more question,I have seen people talk about prephrase and prethink....but when u think over the top...it takes mor tym fer u cum bak and see the obvious choice ...wuldnt it be better to analyse the choices on their merit rather dan make ur own answer b4 diving into the answer choice .Bcoz wat i see is 90 % of cr is in ur face answers and we confuse ourself by thinking too much :shock:

Well, if 90% of CR questions actually throw questions in your face, then probably you need not prethink. In such a case, your accuracy is CR must already be around ~95%. Then, you need not worry about prethinking. It is meant for lesser mortals who have accuracy less than 85-90%.

By the way, if you still interested in knowing about prethinking, you can attend our free session on 22nd September. You can register on our website for free trial; once you do that, you'll get all the notifications for free sessions.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
For people like me who thought B could be the option thinking 'sleep deprivation treatment' is difficult to execute and is therefore not executed, missed the latter part of the sentence where comparison is with 'people not under depression'. For this option to be correct option it must have compared the 'Sleep Deprivation treatment' with the 'other treatments'.
Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
According to a review of 61 studies of patients suffering from severel [#permalink]