It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
D
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 04:10
gibbet wrote:
Nevermind I didn't notice he dropped the "and".. I thought he was just preferring "as well as BY" to "as well as"... That would certainly effect the meaning of the sentence:

Anyway, this is the first time I'm coming across "as well as" giving more emphasis to the preceding term. Thanks!

Meaning aside, would you say this is grammatically correct?

"...was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, and by the artifacts, such as.... found at the site"

Hi,
the sentence is correct but the 2nd 'and' has to be preceded by a 'comma'..
There is a difference in the usage of 'as well as' and 'and'. But the GMAT would in most probability not identify or eliminate a choice just on this, it would contain some more errors for example 'as well as' does not change/effect the verb after it..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '18 (S)
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 04:11
Agreed... yes, comma preceding it is necessary here... thanks
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 07:44
rest wrote:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

why a is wrong
indicated modify subject of main clause
A is
structure was a church as structure is indicated. no logic

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 08:18
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
thangvietnam wrote:
rest wrote:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

why a is wrong
indicated modify subject of main clause
A is
structure was a church as structure is indicated. no logic

Hi,

lets see why A is wrong and E is the correct choice..

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site....

1) indicated in" is not the correct usage indicated by.. is correct..
indicated in would be better used in a sentence like..
the route was indicated on the paper..
the war was imminent as per the news indicated in various newspaper..

2) 'by the ' is missing before the artifacts, so there is a parallelism issue...
if I remove other parallel issues, it would read..
]A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicatedin its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well asartifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site...
as indicated artifacts, such as,... does not make sense..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 09:43
Thanks everyone! Appreciate it!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 23:52
rest wrote:

A - 'indicated in' instead of 'indicated by'
B - 'once probably being' is wrong
C - construction is wrong right from the beginning
D - sounds wrong but i cant quite figure out why
E - correct
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 19:52

--> 2 problems 1. how it is indicated? 2. indicated in its instead of indicated by its

--> Fragment. Remove "once probably being a church" and read. Incomplete sentence

--> Not only.. but also is used for reinforcing ideas. but also without not only is used to show contrast. In this context wrong usage of but also.

--> 2 problems. 1. indicates is singular and it is referring to eastward orientation and overall plan. It must be plural. 2. "as indicates its" and "as well as [indicates] the" are not parallel.

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the "indicated by its" and "as well as [indicated] by" are parallel. Looks the best choice. Answer
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 19:56

--> 2 problems 1. how it is indicated? 2. indicated in its instead of indicated by its

--> Fragment. Remove "once probably being a church" and read. Incomplete sentence

--> Not only.. but also is used for reinforcing ideas. but also without not only is used to show contrast. In this context wrong usage of but also.

--> 2 problems. 1. indicates is singular and it is referring to eastward orientation and overall plan. It must be plural. 2. "as indicates its" and "as well as [indicates] the" are not parallel.

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the "indicated by its" and "as well as [indicated] by" are parallel. Looks the best choice. Answer
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 03:01
That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

My question: I want to ask when a "that clause" will/should be used as the subject? Thanks
Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 03:29
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here, the that clause is only in the subject position and not the subject itself. The verb mood is passive, as indicated by the "is indicated" and therefore "that a ruined structure..." is a direct object.

There's no hard rule that "that clauses" must be in a certain position in the sentence, but there is a hard rule that the clause should be deployed wherever the meaning of the sentence is least ambiguous. Additionally, "that clauses" is a way to make the sentence more concise than a sentence with a series of modifiers. The alternative to the sentence above is somewhat messy: "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, being probably a church is indicated by...." Quite difficult to understand

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 19:04
I am looking forward to learn 'That' construction at the beginning of a sentence so that I do not make similar mistakes in future. Can somebody comment how and where these kind of constructions are used ? Only thing I can see that "That a ruined structure" is an odd looking noun phrase embedded in "That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" is indicated.......A long subject for the sentence.

But beyond this I am unable to see the sentence construction approach in the "" above.

Next I completely understand that answer (E) has better and accurate parallelism, as compared to answer (A).

One comment on many posts above indicating "1)in its eastward orientation" and "2)by its overall plan", as well as "3)artifacts" being not parallel.

option 1) and 2) - even if the sentence fragments start with different prepositions, they can still be parallel as long as both are prepositions. (in the house and on the roof - example from manhattan SC guide). Next "as well as" do not always act as a parallel marker, but since in this sentence it does, we can expect to a see a preposition before artifacts. As there is no preposition before artifacts, the (3) element of the sentence is not parallel with (1) and (2).

Answer choice (E) has the best parallel structure and the correct choice.
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 09:37
janety0312 wrote:
That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

My question: I want to ask when a "that clause" will/should be used as the subject? Thanks

I suggest you go through this link of eGMAT

https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/sen ... -structure

Regards

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2016, 12:50
rakaisraka wrote:

a-ruined-structure-found-at-aqaba-jordan-206001.html
can you please explain what is wrogn wiht option D in this one.
Is there anything wrong in the usage of 'as well as". Should it be used as as indicates in as well as in? Is this the reason for it being wrong?

Thanks

The main problem with D is the subject verb agreement. The verb "indicates" is singular, whereas the subject "its eastward orientation and overall plan" is plural.

(Subject-verb flip is often used as a trap that makes one to overlook the S-V agreement issue.)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 05:46
Only option E has apt parallelism. Also, the first part of option E is, if I'm not wrong, a substantive clause that usually begins with words such as THAT, WHICH, WHY ETC... The entire clause should be treated singular and is rightly followed by the verb "is".
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 00:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in
its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass
oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as
indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a
church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably
a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as
indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is
indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

Last edited by broall on 30 May 2017, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 00:16
I have a very silly question,but felt to get it clear. In the above sentence "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" I thought found was acting as verb and therefore felt that there were 2 verbs 'found' , 'was' for 1 subject ruined structure. Please help me in understanding why found is not verb here
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
KARISHMA315 wrote:
I have a very silly question,but felt to get it clear. In the above sentence "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" I thought found was acting as verb and therefore felt that there were 2 verbs 'found' , 'was' for 1 subject ruined structure. Please help me in understanding why found is not verb here

"Found" is not a verb, but a past participle modifier for "structure". Consider the following sentence:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan.
This sentence does not make sense since the ruined structure did not find (someone else found the ruined structure) - hence "found" is not a verb.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 21:56
Quote:

You can also think of it this way: the phrase "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan" is actually a condensed version of "A ruined structure that was found at Aqaba, Jordan."

So "found at Aqaba, Jordan" is actually a relative clause that is placed between the subject and the verb.

The sentence can be mapped out as follows:

[subject] A ruined structure [relative clause] found at Aqaba, Jordan, [verb] was...

If the relative clause is removed, the structure of the sentence becomes clear: A ruined structure...was probably a church.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 21:39
Didn't understand this at all.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 03:14
nandetapuri wrote:
Didn't understand this at all.

Please elaborate your query - unless you are specific about your query, I would not be able to respond to it effectively.
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2017, 03:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ] 

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap