GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 05:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 01:31
EducationAisle wrote:
anilkumar1510 wrote:
IMO choice E does not have an independent clause. Not able to understand the construction.

That .... as well as .....

This is a dependent clause. Am i missing something here ?

Hi anilkumar1510, actually this is a case where a clause is acting as the subject of the sentence. The subject (clause) is:

That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church

The one important thing to note vis-a-vis this structure is that in such cases, the subject is always considered singular (and hence, the main verb of this sentence is singular is).

The structure of this sentence is:

<Subject clause> is indicated by X as well as by Y.

Where:

X: its eastward orientation and overall plan

Y: the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site

Another similar official example:

That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Noun Clause, its application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section

But what noun does it refer to?
The only noun in the sentence is "That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church".
This cant be the antecedent in the sentence.

Could you kindly explain this to me.
thanks
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:16
Top Contributor
That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan," is a substantive phrase acting as the noun for the entire clause with ' is indicated' as the verb. More about such structures in the following links.
1. https://www.merriam- webster.com/dictionary/substantive
2. http://www.english-for-students.com/sub ... auses.html

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:31
daagh wrote:
That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan," is a substantive phrase acting as the noun for the entire clause with ' is indicated' as the verb. More about such structures in the following links.
1. https://www.merriam- webster.com/dictionary/substantive
2. http://www.english-for-students.com/sub ... auses.html

Dear daagh Sir, you meant "substantial clause", not "substantial phrase", isn't it? "That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" is a clause.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 02:41
Top Contributor
Yes, it is, in fact, a subordinate clause because you see that there is a verb 'was' in that clause a. All the same, a clause also can be a part of the substantive that acts as an individual noun in such structure.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 05:19
Check out our detailed video solution to this problem here:
https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-soluti ... ection_802

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 21:06
EducationAisle wrote:
anilkumar1510 wrote:
IMO choice E does not have an independent clause. Not able to understand the construction.

That .... as well as .....

This is a dependent clause. Am i missing something here ?

Hi anilkumar1510, actually this is a case where a clause is acting as the subject of the sentence. The subject (clause) is:

That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church

The one important thing to note vis-a-vis this structure is that in such cases, the subject is always considered singular (and hence, the main verb of this sentence is singular is).

The structure of this sentence is:

<Subject clause> is indicated by X as well as by Y.

Where:

X: its eastward orientation and overall plan

Y: the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site

Another similar official example:

That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Noun Clause, its application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section

Hi EducationAisle,
In OA E, how can the article- 'the' and such as go together.
Example- I love places, such as Denmark and Nepal.
I love the places, such as Denmark and Nepal.--> This is wrong. We cant use the with such as

In OA E- That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments.My questions i how come the artifacts go in line with such as?
Director
Director
G
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 22:51
sunny91 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle,
I love the places, such as Denmark and Nepal.--> This is wrong. We cant use the with such as

In OA E- That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments.My questions i how come the artifacts go in line with such as?

Hi sunny91, the sentence under consideration isn't the same as:

I love the places, such as Denmark and Nepal.

It is similar to:

I love the mountainous places, such as Denmark and Nepal, that offer a serene environment.

Basically the difference here is the presence of a comma before such as and a subsequent modifier, making the entire such as... phrase non-essential. So, the core of the sentence would be:

I love the mountainous places that offer a serene environment.

Am sure you would be fine with the above sentence using a the.

Having said that, GMAT doesn't really test you on articles, so an article would not be something I would focus on, to eliminate/choose an option.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 23:35
EducationAisle wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle,

Hi sunny91, the sentence under consideration isn't the same as:

I love the places, such as Denmark and Nepal.

It is similar to:

I love the mountainous places, such as Denmark and Nepal, that offer a serene environment.

Basically the difference here is the presence of a comma before such as and a subsequent modifier, making the entire such as... phrase non-essential. So, the core of the sentence would be:

I love the mountainous places that offer a serene environment.

Am sure you would be fine with the above sentence using a the.

Having said that, GMAT doesn't really test you on articles, so an article would not be something I would focus on, to eliminate/choose an option.

Hi EducationAisle,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the following sentence is correct where there is no comma and 'the' article.
I love mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Right

I guess the following sentence is incorrect without the use of comma and with 'the' article.
I love the mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Wrong

Please clarify if my understanding is correct
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 23:42
sunny91 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the following sentence is correct where there is no comma and 'the' article.
I love mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Right

I guess the following sentence is incorrect without the use of comma and with 'the' article.
I love the mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Wrong

Please clarify if my understanding is correct

That's right.

But would like to reiterate what I had mentioned in my last post: GMAT doesn't really test you on articles, so an article would not be something I would focus on, to eliminate/choose an option :-) .

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 22:36
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(B) is wrong because it seems like it is saying the ruined structure no longer is indicated by the orientation and plan and artifacts.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 21:18
I am wondering whether it is right to say
by A and B as well as by C

why not :
by A and by B as well as by C
OR
by A and B as well as C
(either say by for all items , or for only the first )
please explain the rule of preposition & parallelism

Hope this helps
Give kudos if it does

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 05:56
foryearss wrote:
I am wondering whether it is right to say
by A and B as well as by C

why not :
by A and by B as well as by C
OR
by A and B as well as C
(either say by for all items , or for only the first )
please explain the rule of preposition & parallelism

To understand any parallelism, you have to understand the structure.

by A and by B as well as by C = List [A and B], modifier [as well as C] - you got 2 different elements
To make it \\ you have to have 'by' in each element.

by A and by B as well as by C - correct (each has it's own 'by')
by A and B as well as by C - correct ('by' stands in the beginning of the list and works for both A and B, but in modifier you have to repeat 'by')
by A and B as well as by C and D - correct

_A and by B as well as by C - incorrect
by A and by B as well as _C - incorrect
by A and B as well as _C - incorrect

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jul 2018, 05:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap