GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 14:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 98
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2020, 02:10
chetan2u wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
rest wrote:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the


why a is wrong
indicated modify subject of main clause
A is
structure was a church as structure is indicated. no logic


Hi,

lets see why A is wrong and E is the correct choice..

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site....

1) indicated in" is not the correct usage indicated by.. is correct..
indicated in would be better used in a sentence like..
the route was indicated on the paper..
the war was imminent as per the news indicated in various newspaper..

2) 'by the ' is missing before the artifacts, so there is a parallelism issue...
if I remove other parallel issues, it would read..
]A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicatedin its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well asartifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site...
as indicated artifacts, such as,... does not make sense..



Hello chetan2u could you please elaborate on the last part of your explanation, I haven't understood the "test" that you conduct, the part that you say that "if i remove other parallel issues..."
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2018
Posts: 98
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2020, 02:35
MikeScarn wrote:
schak2rhyme wrote:
(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.


Eliminated due to the parallelism error in red. We need parallelism around our "and" construction.

schak2rhyme wrote:
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.


Meaning error. The intended meaning is that the eastward orientation and overall plan are indicators that the structure used to be a church.

schak2rhyme wrote:
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.


"but also" should jump out at us. If we have a "but also," we need a "not only" beforehand.


The verb tenses are also a hot mess. "Indicating" "was" "were"

Even without the technical errors, I would say this sentence is in a wacky construction, which should be taken with a grain of salt.

schak2rhyme wrote:
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.


"indicates" is not in the correct verb tense.

schak2rhyme wrote:
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.


We're starting our sentence with "That." Just beautiful (said with sarcasm)... let's keep reading.

"was a church is indicated by its X and Y, as well as by the A, such as B, C"

This is sentence is "wacky" in my opinion, but all of the idioms and parallelisms are in order... So we won't eliminate it.



Hello MikeScarn I'm having some difficulties on option A regarding the parallelism issue, speifically aren't in and by both prepositions ? so why can't they be parallel I thought the issue we had was with artifact, thanks in advance for your time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
D
Status: Studying GMAT
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 277
Location: United States (UT)
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 07:44
1
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello MikeScarn I'm having some difficulties on option A regarding the parallelism issue, speifically aren't in and by both prepositions ? so why can't they be parallel I thought the issue we had was with artifact, thanks in advance for your time.


Hi UNSTOPPABLE12, I'm happy to help.

Yes, "in" and "by" are both prepositions. Let's look at the highlighted portion of option (A):

as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan,

When we see the word and, that should jump out at us as a parallelism marker. After our verb (indicated), we are listing two items:

1. eastward orientation
2. overall plan

When we list these items, they must be parallel, which means that the preposition that introduces them (by or in) must be in similar form.

In the case of (A), we use two different prepositions, so parallel structure is broken.

Here are some examples of broken parallelism and correct parallelism:

Not Parallel: as indicated in its eastward orientation and in the overall plan
Not Parallel: as indicated by the eastward orientation and its overall plan
Not Parallel: as indicated by its eastward orientation and in its overall plan
Parallel: as indicated by its eastward orientation and by its overall plan.
Parallel: as indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan.


I hope this is helpful? Does this make sense? I suggest reading more about parallelism in whichever Prep book you have. Parallelism is a major subject in SC.

Also, this is a notoriously difficult question :)

Mike
_________________
Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

"Genuine learning is impossible without curiosity." - Naval
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2019
Posts: 44
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Apr 2020, 09:37
schak2rhyme wrote:
GMAT® Official Guide 2016

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 136
Page: 699

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

Is the option A wrong because there are two different prepositions i.e in and by separated by a conjunction ?
Is it wrong to have two different prepositions generally speaking ?

or

because the preposition by cannot be shared by a noun which appears after the word as well as ?
I assumed that the this construction i.e by its overall plan, as well as (by) artifacts. is alright and acceptable in GMAT.


GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Originally posted by Abhishekrao12 on 08 Apr 2020, 08:54.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 09 Apr 2020, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quotation formatting
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 10467
Location: Pune, India
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 23:39
2
Abhishekrao12 wrote:
schak2rhyme wrote:
GMAT® Official Guide 2016

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 136
Page: 699

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the


Is the option A wrong because there are two different prepositions i.e in and by separated by a conjunction ?
Is it wrong to have two different prepositions generally speaking ?

or

because the preposition by cannot be shared by a noun which appears after the word as well as ?
I assumed that the this construction i.e by its overall plan, as well as (by) artifacts. is alright and acceptable in GMAT.


GMATNinja VeritasKarishma


No problem with multiple prepositions -
e.g. I ran up the slope, through the tunnel and onto the platform.

In our question, there are three things mentioned:
- its eastward orientation
- overall plan
- the artefacts

Since 'the artefacts' is connecting with 'as well as', it doesn't have the same importance as the other two. It is an aside, just additional. So the three are not equally important members of a list.

The first two members can share the preposition since they are equal members of a list.
Correct - by A and B, as well as by C
Incorrect - by A and by B, as well as C
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 1031
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 00:33
if we see
X and Y as well as Z
then, both X and Y are 1 element, which is parallel with Z.
remember, Z is not parallel with Y, and X is not parallel with Y and Z.

this parallelism is special and is indicated by choice E.

do you think so?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2020, 00:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne