GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2011, 18:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:06) correct 29% (01:15) wrong based on 2985 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition, 2009

Practice Question
Question No.: SC57
Page: 668

That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

Similar Question : LINK

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/04/25/education/schools-enter-the-computer-age.html

Thus far most efforts by educators to come to grips with the computer revolution have been modest and tentative. This is understandable when one recognizes that the microcomputer — the relatively small, inexpensive machine that has made computing feasible in schools and homes — is barely seven years old. In his 1970 book, ''Future Shock,'' Alvin Toffler did not even mention microcomputers!

Attachment:
0122.jpg
0122.jpg [ 118.39 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]

Attachment:
0123.jpg
0123.jpg [ 117.8 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

Attachment:
0124.jpg
0124.jpg [ 29.39 KiB | Viewed 1070 times ]
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
B
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2012, 00:24
A - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

That something has happened can hardly be said that it is their fault.
something = educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

The second that is problematic.

If we change the construction to - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be their fault, I don't see any grammatical lapses, the construction is inelegant and awkward. I would look for a better construction.

B - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

That something has happened can hardly be said to be at fault.
something = educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

What does it even mean? Who is at fault? An event cannot be at fault.

C - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology is just a modifier modifying educators. So the sentence in essence reads - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of a certain kind of educators.

certain kind - those educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

Now what is the fault of educators? it has no referent.

E - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

Something can hardly be said - Okay

Something - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

- Changes meaning. it is not a fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology. In fact this very thing is debatable.

D - It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology - Perfect.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

General Discussion
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2013, 07:56
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault
(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

HI all i am opening this thread again because i dint got the previous explanation quite convincing....so will request the experts also to share their thoughts.

as per my understanding i was able to eliminate A ,B but was stuck in C D E...
Please suggest.

thanks
SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2013, 23:00
shaileshmishra wrote:
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970

(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

HI all i am opening this thread again because i dint got the previous explanation quite convincing....so will request the experts also to share their thoughts.

as per my understanding i was able to eliminate A ,B but was stuck in C D E...
Please suggest.

Hi shaileshmishra

Wrong. "who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology" modifies educators ==> C changes meaning because it says: educator who have not anticipated..... are not at fault. But the intended meaning is: educators are not at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology.

Correct.

Wrong. The structure of E is: the fact ..........can hardly be said ==> Wrong. The fact is the fact, why it cannot be said?

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 04:01
Here is a blog for sentences that begin with that!

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 15:13
Hi experts,

I understand that opening sentence is Dependent clause followed by ";", followed by Independent clause and we need to somehow convert dependent clause to independent clause.

Can you please explain why each of the answer choices are wrong here ? Especially what is the difference between C and D

Its not over yet!!!

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 03:36
freakygeek wrote:
Hi experts,

I understand that opening sentence is Dependent clause followed by ";", followed by Independent clause and we need to somehow convert dependent clause to independent clause.

Can you please explain why each of the answer choices are wrong here ? Especially what is the difference between C and D

Hi there,

Before we respond to your question, we would like to see your analysis of this question. This way, we can give you a more effective response based on your understanding of the question. Please attempt an analysis based on the three-step process.

I look forward to your response. :)

Thanks,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 23:32
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer
technology can hardly be said

Meaning : It can hardly be said that the educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology. Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

POE:

Option A) The Sentence starts with "that" and kind of inverted.

It can hardly be said That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology. And also “it is their fault”. The usage is educators are at fault.

Option B) Not sure who is at fault.

Option C) “it is the fault”. What does “it” signify?
We can say
“It can hardly be said that educators are at fault.”

Option D) Looks good.

Option E) Only issue I can find is the predicate of the sentence “The fact can hardly be said” is very far away and we lose track of it.

D) Looks good as per POE.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 06:40
Hi @freakygeek,

This one slipped my attention - very sorry about that. :-/ Thanks @bagdbmba for the reminder.

Thanks @freakygeek for providing your detailed analysis as suggested. I really like how you've paid attention to the structure of your sentence, particularly for your analysis of option A: you are right that two DCs don't make an IC, and you can use that justification to eliminate option A. Having said that, I wouldn’t use sentence structure as the primary focus when eliminating options for this question. Each of the incorrect options has a meaning issue here. Let’s see how.

Option A: Incorrect, as you’ve pointed out.

Option B: Completely distorts the intended meaning. “That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology” is the subject of the verb “can hardly be said”. Logically, this statement can’t be said to be at fault. It’s the educators who aren’t at fault.

Option C: “Educators who have not anticipated” restricts the meaning to those educators who haven’t anticipated the impact of microcomputers. However, the intended meaning is that educators in general can’t be faulted, not that a certain group of educators can’t be faulted.

Let’s see how the meaning gets restricted here. Look at these examples:

• The teacher distributed the notebooks among the students who had completed their homework.
=> Meaning: Only some students had done their homework. Only these students were given the notebooks.
• The teacher distributed the notebooks among the students, who had completed their homework.
=> Meaning: All the students referred to in the sentence had done their homework.

While these examples don't exactly correspond to the structure of this choice, I hope the meaning change is clear. "Educators, who have not..." means "all educators have not..." "Educators who have not..." means "some educators have not..."

Option D: Correct.

Option E: Again, this choice completely distorts the intended meaning. “The fact that educators are at fault” is misleading, since the point made by the sentence is that educators are NOT at fault. Moreover, ‘that fact’ is the subject of the verb ‘can hardly be said’. So, this choice says that “the fact… can hardly be said.” This meaning is illogical. If something is a fact, it’s already happened. So in other words, this choice is saying that the fact that educators are at fault has already happened, but it can hardly be said. There’s a serious meaning discrepancy here.

bagdbmba wrote:

C narrows down the educators' set to only those who have not anticipated the impact. So, it could be that there are other educators as well who are not involved here...But the intended meaning is not the same, the sentence actually refers to the (all)educators without narrowing down the set...and D makes it clear.

Now, please share e-GMAT's awesome analysis and explanation :-)

@bagdbmba: I agree with your analysis of the meaning of option C: this option distorts the intended meaning of the original sentence, which refers to educators in general and not to a specific group.

I hope this analysis helps!

Regards,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 02:31
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

In GMAT world that primarily has two usages either a connector or act as a subject (please read the e-gmat's post on that). When that acts a connector, it will connect two clauses, each having it's own subject and verb. That as a subject will have a verb and will be modifying a noun.

Option A and B seems to have it's own subject and verb which means it's role should be of a connector but there are no clauses to connect hence incorrect.
C-Change in the meaning and wordy (changes the scope from Educators to Educators who have not anticipated)
D-Correct
E-Wordy.

Let's Kudos
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Insead '14, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 10-17-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 00:09
Request the moderators from egmat or OptimusPrep help understand the logic for eliminating C.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 04:47
nishith17 wrote:
Request the moderators from egmat or OptimusPrep help understand the logic for eliminating C.

nishith17

Ask the question: What can hardly be said?

The answer is the clause: it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology.

Now think of this clause independently.

First eliminate the modifier who have not.....technology referring to educators.

The clause becomes: it is the fault of the educators. ........ this is an incomplete clause.

The clause should have continued in the following way:
It is the fault of the educators that they did or did not XXXX.

Here the pronoun it acts as a placeholder that is used in place of the whole phrase that they did or did not XXXX.
Without the phrase that they did or did not XXXX, the pronoun it is incomplete .

This is the reason that option C is wrong... incomplete clause because of absence of an antecedent for the placeholder it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 07:06
But I thought the present perfect tense should be used here. The action 'anticipate' occurred in the past, furthermore, the sentence has one of the example which also occurred in the past.

Pls help. I always have problem understanding questions regarding tenses.
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 19:28
gianghoang217 wrote:
But I thought the present perfect tense should be used here. The action 'anticipate' occurred in the past, furthermore, the sentence has one of the example which also occurred in the past.

As you have anticipated, the usage of present perfect for "anticipate" would be correct. However the options (A, B and C) using present perfect have other serious grammatical issues.

In option D, using simple present for the verb "are" is correct since the educators are still at fault - the fact is a general truth.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 08:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
gianghoang217 wrote:

As you have anticipated, the usage of present perfect for "anticipate" would be correct. However the options (A, B and C) using present perfect have other serious grammatical issues.

In option D, using simple present for the verb "are" is correct since the educators are still at fault - the fact is a general truth.

Thank you very much. Per my understanding, we should eliminate other serious grammar mistakes first and left the tenses for last, is it right? I often see the grammar mistake to be very hard to recognize.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 09:51
gianghoang217 wrote:

hi,
there is one verb ARE which is correct as we are talking of todays educator..
But I think where you are going wrong is taking anticipate as a verb..
'anticipating' here is a GERUND and "not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said. " is an OBJECT of preposition FOR..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 12:00
I think choice A and B are wrong not because of the use clauses as subjects, but because of other reasons. Uses of clauses that have their own verbs are acceptable in Grammar. See the following link for an understanding of this theme.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/f ... subjpp.htm

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault --- That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology--- is a subject clause and can hardly be said is the verb; So nothing wrong about that. However, what does the word ‘stand’ for? There is no precise referent for the pronoun ‘it’

(B) that educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault --- Although this removes the problematic ‘it’, still we cannot say that a phenomenon of some people not anticipating is at fault.

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology -- yet again the problem of a referent-less second ‘it’

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology --- Good enough

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said -- the same problem as in B., in addition, the ending is weird.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 20:30
When I review this question with students, I find the best way to think about it is to think of the following structure as an idiom:

"It's surprising that __________"

"It can hardly be said that ________"

"It's unfortunate but true that __________"

This construction is a particular type of English idiom that's used to avoid putting a very long, complicated clause at the beginning of a sentence. Given the choice, most of us native English speakers should prefer (1) to (2) below:

(1) It's unfortunate that Jordan and Lee unexpectedly divorced after five seemingly happy years of marriage. - Good
(2) That Jordan and Lee unexpectedly divorced after five seemingly happy years of marriage is unfortunate. - Weird

You might want to cross off (1) because the 'it' doesn't seem to refer to anything. However, that's because in this particular idiom, there's a 'hollow it' that doesn't refer to anything at all, and that's okay. The 'hollow it' shows up in other English sentences too, like "It's raining" or "It's going to be beautiful outside today."

Really, what I think is being tested in options (A) and (B) is whether you recognize the 'it can hardly be said that ______' idiom, and whether you know that it's better to keep an idiom in its normal form than to move the bits around.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 21:16
gianghoang217 wrote:

Context and meaning determine the tense usage. Hopefully it is clear that anticipate means predict/expect. From the sentence, it is very clear that educators were proven wrong because microcomputer technology did have a significant impact (which is something that educators did not anticipate). So, anticipation and proving wrong of that anticipation, all happened in the past. Hence, present perfect is not a valid tense.

Let’s look at an analogy that will hopefully ring bells.

Would we say:

i) Economists did not predict the great depression of 1930s (simple past)

Or would we say:

ii) Economists have not predicted the great depression of 1930s (present perfect)

It should be clear that ii) does not make any sense, since the prediction as well as the failure of that prediction (in this case great depression) all happened in the past. Hence, simple past should be used, not present perfect.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 11:28
gianghoang217 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
gianghoang217 wrote:

Thank you very much. Per my understanding, we should eliminate other serious grammar mistakes first and left the tenses for last, is it right? I often see the grammar mistake to be very hard to recognize.

Tense errors are serious grammatical mistakes - it would not be appropriate to prioritize them low. Have you tried to understand the tense issues using a time line? The timeline approach helps clarify the concept of tense.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2016, 11:28

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap