GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Board of Directors
D
A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 12:49
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (02:18) correct 77% (02:30) wrong based on 75 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union in terms of crop yields per acre revealed that when only planted acreage is compared, Soviet yields were equal to 68 percent of United States yields. When total agricultural acreage (planted acreage plus fallow acreage) is compared, however, Soviet yield was 114 percent of United States yield.

From the information above, which of the following can be most reliably inferred about United States and Soviet agriculture during the ten-year period?

A A higher percentage of total agricultural acreage was fallow in the United States than in the Soviet Union.
B The United States had more fallow acreage than planted acreage.
C Fewer total acres of available agricultural land were fallow in the Soviet Union than in the United States.
D The Soviet Union had more planted acreage than fallow acreage.
E The Soviet Union produced a greater volume of crops than the United States produced.

B
Re: A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 10:36
Can someone please explain why A is correct?
Manager
Manager
S
Re: A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 22:44
gargchetna19 wrote:
Can someone please explain why A is correct?

The key is to understand that we are asked about "crop yields per acre".

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 00:57
Some thoughts on why (A) is not correct. Maybe someone prove me wrong.

Let planted acreage in USSR and USA = 1
Let fallow acreage in USSR and USA = 1
z1 = crop yield per acre on USSR fallow acreage
z2 = crop yield per acre on USA fallow acreage

Then, from the last sentence of the passage, we derive an equation:

(0.68*1 + z1*1) / (1+1) = [ (1*1 + z2*1) / (1+1) ] * 114/100
After algebraic arrangements, we get :
z1 = 13; z2 = 11 (one solution of many): crop yield on fallow acreage in USSR=13 > in USA=11.

So, it can not be (A): 1/(1+1) > 1/(1+1) - nonsense.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 07:48
Fallow = 0 Yield.

Let R and US have the same agricultural land, say 100x.
US has yield of 1, Russia of 0.68.
So Us produces 100 units and Russia 68 Units.

Adding the fallow area that has yield = 0, we are told that Russia's total yield is now bigger than that of the US.
Russia's ratio --> production / (planted+fallow) is bigger than the US'.
The only way this can happen is if the US fallow land increases by a larger absolute amount than Russia's.

In other terms, the yield is more diluted in the US than in Russia, because the overall agricultural land comprises more fallow area.
Manager
Manager
S
A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 08:22
carcass wrote:
A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union in terms of crop yields per acre revealed that when only planted acreage is compared, Soviet yields were equal to 68 percent of United States yields. When total agricultural acreage (planted acreage plus fallow acreage) is compared, however, Soviet yield was 114 percent of United States yield.

From the information above, which of the following can be most reliably inferred about United States and Soviet agriculture during the ten-year period?

A A higher percentage of total agricultural acreage was fallow in the United States than in the Soviet Union.
B The United States had more fallow acreage than planted acreage.
C Fewer total acres of available agricultural land were fallow in the Soviet Union than in the United States.
D The Soviet Union had more planted acreage than fallow acreage.
E The Soviet Union produced a greater volume of crops than the United States produced.

Its A in IMO.
Please see the attached image.

In all other options no idea of P and F which is must so wrong
Attachments

gm.jpg
gm.jpg [ 3.35 MiB | Viewed 206 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union i   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 08:22

A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics