Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 19:55 It is currently 02 May 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72979 [0]
Given Kudos: 18904
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72979 [1]
Send PM
Re: A thread to GMAT focus [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
As a reminder, GMAT focus has not really added any new questions or information to the test. It actually removed it. The focus edition removed the essay, the grammar portion which is the entire sentence correction question type and the geometry topic from the quantitative review. The only material change at this point are the data insights questions if in the past most people ignored it, now you have to prepare for it and practice these question types.

As the result, while still quite a disruptive event for many test prep providers, who had to modify their courses, update practice tests and so on. But GMAT focus was more about deleting content rather than building it up.

I would say the prerequisites would be the same as for gmat classic:
1) a good command of English language if you’re not a native speaker.
2) You should also have an average math understanding. If you are very rusty or you decided to declare yourself as a non-math person and have a defeatist attitude during high school and college, you will need to catch up and work on your growth mindset before you start with the GMAT.

I don’t think data insights requires any other particular skills or abilities than reading comprehension for example. In reading comprehension you analyze text and you answer questions and in data insights, UNI chart and text and graphs and you also answer questions. Both of these question types are about strategy, about how you read and analyze the text and they’re both time-consuming.

However, now that you do not have to study grammar and worry about things such as idioms and parallelism, you should have plenty of time to invest into data insights, which is not really new but is more important now.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
As a reminder, GMAT focus has not really added any new questions or information to the test. It actually removed it. The focus edition removed the essay, the grammar portion which is the entire sentence correction question type and the geometry topic from the quantitative review. The only material change at this point are the data insights questions if in the past most people ignored it, now you have to prepare for it and practice these question types.

As the result, while still quite a disruptive event for many test prep providers, who had to modify their courses, update practice tests and so on. But GMAT focus was more about deleting content rather than building it up.

2) You should also have an average math understanding. If you are very rusty or you decided to declare yourself as a non-math person and have a defeatist attitude during high school and college, you will need to catch up and work on your growth mindset before you start with the GMAT.

I don’t think data insights requires any other particular skills or abilities than reading comprehension for example. In reading comprehension you analyze text and you answer questions and in data insights, UNI chart and text and graphs and you also answer questions. Both of these question types are about strategy, about how you read and analyze the text and they’re both time-consuming.

However, now that you do not have to study grammar and worry about things such as idioms and parallelism, you should have plenty of time to invest into data insights, which is not really new but is more important now.

Thanks bb for the clarity
can i know what are the best mock available currently apart from Official mocks ??
& when will GMAT club implement DI qns in practice question banks ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Fair to say the official focus mocks from the MBA website are a solid choice to include in a prep path. You can also get an e-version of the official-guide 2023 from there.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72979 [1]
Send PM
A thread to GMAT focus [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
thedarkwolf wrote:
bb wrote:

can i know what are the best mock available currently apart from Official mocks ??

The official practice test are always the best source. They were the best even if sometimes they were not very accurate or representative of the experience but they still remain the most reliable prediction of your final GMAT score. GMAC has also made it possible to retake them a number of times so that should increase the number of both free and paid GMAT prep tests.

Besides the official tests, the only others that are available on the market today for GMAT focus are experts Global and GMAT Club tests. Egmat also has them but I think you may have to purchase their course to get access.

GMAT club question bank, they were data insights ready since November. Did you check or am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
thedarkwolf wrote:
bb wrote:

The official practice test are always the best source. They were the best even if sometimes they were not very accurate or representative of the experience but they still remain the most reliable prediction of your final GMAT score. GMAC has also made it possible to retake them a number of times so that should increase the number of both free and paid GMAT prep tests.

Besides the official tests, the only others that are available on the market today for GMAT focus are experts Global and GMAT Club tests. Egmat also has them but I think you may have to purchase their course to get access.

GMAT club question bank, they were data insights ready since November. Did you check or am I missing something?

Attachments

File comment: Here in this directory
ref.PNG
ref.PNG [ 53.12 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]

Manager
Manager
Send PM
GmatKnightTutor wrote:
Fair to say the official focus mocks from the MBA website are a solid choice to include in a prep path. You can also get an e-version of the official-guide 2023 from there.

thank you gmatknight
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65048 [1]
Given Kudos: 430
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thedarkwolf wrote:
What are the pre-requisite for GMAT focus edition?

What are the sources currently available?

Which are the best mocks ??

Ideal prep time for GMAT FE from scratch?

bb Bunuel GMATNinja KarishmaB ScottTargetTestPrep

Ideal prep time for GMAT FE is no different from the classic GMAT prep time - if anything, it might be a tad lesser now. If one starts from scratch (but with a solid background in Math and English), 3-6 months would be enough for most people.

Also, most test prep companies are already offering GMAT Focus, including ANA PREP i.e. mine. As bb said, Focus is more about elimination of certain topics and some shift in weightage of others.
Ratios, Variation, Percentages, Weighted Averages and CR have become more important because Data Insights (IR type) is based on this. DS questions will test your skills in Work-rate, TSD, Mixtures, Sets, Statistics and Combinatorics too.
Algebra and Number Properties will be mostly tested in the Quant section only though a few basic number properties might be useful to know for IR question types too.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22121 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi thedarkwolf,

I have a few articles that will help answer your questions:

GMAT Focus Edition Preparation

Best GMAT Focus Edition Prep Courses Online: What to Look For

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
GMAT Club Bot