GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jul 2018, 20:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:11) correct 38% (01:14) wrong based on 53 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other. What is the distance between the two stations?

(1) The train covers one-third of the total distance in the first hour at an average speed of 80 mph.

(2) The average speed during the second hour is 160 mph.

Open to feedbacks

Originally posted by delta23 on 27 Jul 2018, 00:10.
Last edited by delta23 on 27 Jul 2018, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
V
Re: A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 01:03
A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other. What is the distance between the two stations?

(1) The train covers one-third of the total distance in the first hour at an average speed of 80 mph.
So 1/3rd of total is covered in 1 HR at 80mph...
At 80mph, train will cover 80miles in 1 HR and this is 1/3rd of total
So total =80*3=240miles
Sufficient

We do not know what proportion is this distance..
Insufficient

A

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
B
Re: A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 01:58
chetan2u

Can I assume the speed is constant throughout the journey? Then yes, statement 1 alone is sufficient.

Open to feedbacks

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 03:09
delta23 wrote:
chetan2u

Can I assume the speed is constant throughout the journey? Then yes, statement 1 alone is sufficient.

No the speed need not be constant..
It is given that it travels 1/3 rd distance in 1 HR traveling at an average speed of 80mph..
So 1st HR average speed 80mph, so he traveled 80 miles in that 1 hour.
But now this 80 miles are given as 1/3rd distance, so totalis 1/3+1/3+1/3= 80+80+80=240
Average speed in 2nd HR will be different as it is covering 2/3rd distance in 1 hr

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 06:09
delta23 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Here is the thing about average speed - it is not constant speed.
If my average speed is 50 mph for an hour, all I can say is that I took 1 hour to cover 50 miles of distance. At what speed I actually drove, I cannot say. For some mins, I could have driven at 20 mph, for some I could have driven at 80 mph and so on. Overall, whatever I did, it led to me covering 50 miles in 1 hour.

The average speed of the train was 80 mph. This means the train covered 80 miles in the first hour - that is all the information I get. At what speed did the train actually run at different times, we cannot say.
We are also given that it covers 1/3rd of the distance in this one hour. So 80 miles is 1/3rd of the total distance.
Hence total distance must be 240 miles. This is what we were asked.
Hence, sufficient.

This tells us that the train covered 160 miles in the second hour. But without using data from stmnt 1, we cannot say how much distance it covered in the first hour. Hence this statement alone is not sufficient.

Answer (A)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 23:36
KarishmaB,

Just because they had given a hint in statement 1 stating 1/3 of the journey was covered, we were able to arrive at the total distance. Am I missing here something?

Open to feedbacks

P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 01:57
delta23 wrote:
KarishmaB,

Just because they had given a hint in statement 1 stating 1/3 of the journey was covered, we were able to arrive at the total distance. Am I missing here something?

You are correct. Since you are given that it was 1/3rd of the total distance, you can find the total distance using stmnt 1 alone.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other. &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jul 2018, 01:57

A train takes two hours to travel from one station to the other.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap