It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Tricky Question on Negative Remainders

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 132527 [2], given: 12324

A Tricky Question on Negative Remainders [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
FROM Veritas Prep Blog: A Tricky Question on Negative Remainders
Today, we will discuss the question we left you with last week. It involves a lot of different concepts – remainder on division by 5, cyclicity and negative remainders. Since we did not get any replies with the solution, we are assuming that it turned out to be a little hard.

It actually is a little harder than your standard GMAT questions but the point is that it can be easily solved using all concepts relevant to GMAT. Hence it certainly makes sense to understand how to solve it.

Question: What is the remainder when 3^(7^11) is divided by 5? (here, 3 is raised to the power (7^11))

(A) 0

(B) 1

(C) 2

(D) 3

(E) 4

Solution: As we said last week, this question can easily be solved using cyclicity and negative remainders. What is the remainder when a number is divided by 5? Say, what is the remainder when 2387646 is divided by 5? Are you going to do this division to find the remainder? No! Note that every number ending in 5 or 0 is divisible by 5.

2387646 = 2387645 + 1

i.e. the given number is 1 more than a multiple of 5. Obviously then, when the number is divided by 5, the remainder will be 1. Hence the last digit of a number decides what the remainder is when the number is divided by 5.

On the same lines,

What is the remainder when 36793 is divided by 5? It is 3 (since it is 3 more than 36790 – a multiple of 5).

What is the remainder when 46^8 is divided by 5? It is 1. Why? Because 46 to any power will always end with 6 so it will always be 1 more than a multiple of 5.

On the same lines, if we can find the last digit of 3^(7^11), we will be able to find the remainder when it is divided by 5.

Recall from the discussion in your books, 3 has a cyclicity of 4 i.e. the last digit of 3 to any power takes one of 4 values in succession.

3^1 = 3

3^2 = 9

3^3 = 27

3^4 = 81

3^5 = 243

3^6 = 729

and so on… The last digits of powers of 3 are 3, 9, 7, 1, 3, 9, 7, 1 … Every time the power is a multiple of 4, the last digit is 1. If it is 1 more than a multiple of 4, the last digit is 3. If it is 2 more than a multiple of 4, the last digit is 9 and if it 3 more than a multiple of 4, the last digit is 7.

What about the power here 7^(11)? Is it a multiple of 4, 1 more than a multiple of 4, 2 more than a multiple of 4 or 3 more than a multiple of 4? We need to find the remainder when 7^(11) is divided by 4 to know that.

Do you remember the binomial theorem concept we discussed many weeks back? If no, check it out here.

7^(11) = (8 – 1)^(11)

When this is divided by 4, the remainder will be the last term of this expansion which will be (-1)^11. A remainder of -1 means a positive remainder of 3 (if you are not sure why this is so, check last week’s post here). Mind you, you are not to mark the answer as (D) here and move on! The solution is not complete yet. 3 is just the remainder when 7^(11) is divided by 4.

So 7^(11) is 3 more than a multiple of 4.

Review what we just discussed above: If the power of 3 is 3 more than a multiple of 4, the last digit of 3^(power) will be 7.

So the last digit of 3^(7^11) is 7.

If the last digit of a number is 7, when it is divided by 5, the remainder will be 2. Now we got the answer!

Answer (C)

Interesting question, isn’t it?

Karishma, a Computer Engineer with a keen interest in alternative Mathematical approaches, has mentored students in the continents of Asia, Europe and North America. She teaches the GMAT for Veritas Prep and regularly participates in content development projects such as this blog!
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 132527 [2], given: 12324

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 132527 [0], given: 12324

Re: A Tricky Question on Negative Remainders [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 09:07

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5820 [0], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 07:47
hi ...
another fast way to such Q is through remainder theorem(?)..
we find modulus and here it is 5*(1-1/5)=4..
this means the remainder asked will be same as remainder of 3^(remainder of 7^11 when divided by 4) divided by 5..
7^11 when divided by 4 will give remainder of (-1)^11=-1 or 3...
so 3^3 divided will give 27/5 or 2 is the remainder...

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5820 [0], given: 117

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 12:30
Hi everyone,

I am new and I was just reading the post but I was somehow lost when following the solution...so I tried to solve myself and I did in this way:

I wrote down the following in order to find a possible pattern (R=remainder):

k | 3^k | R when divided by 5 |
0 | 1___|_______1________|
1 | 3___|_______3________|
2 | 9___|_______4________|
3 | 27__|_______2________|
4 | 81__|_______1________|
5 | 243_|_______3________|

Stop! OK I found a general pattern for the remainder cyclical (1,3,4,2)...then since 3^(7^11) is equal to 3^77 then is sufficient to look at the line where k is 7 (because 77 is eleven times 7)...that is the same as the line with k=3 so R=2! Indeed...

6 | not needed |_______4________|
7 | not needed |_______2________|

So the answer is 2 that is (C).

Am I wrong? It was quite fast in this way...

Thanks to everybody!

Padener

P.s.
Sorry for the _____ but I did not know how to format properly the table....

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 03:08
padener wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am new and I was just reading the post but I was somehow lost when following the solution...so I tried to solve myself and I did in this way:

Stop! OK I found a general pattern for the remainder cyclical (1,3,4,2)...then since 3^(7^11) is equal to 3^77 then is sufficient to look at the line where k is 7 (because 77 is eleven times 7)...that is the same as the line with k=3 so R=2! Indeed...

Thanks to everybody!

Padener

P.s.

When getting the pattern of the units digit of x^k you should always start with k=1, not k=0.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 04:40
Yes you are right because k=0 will always give 1 as results...so no meaning.

But apart from that is right the approach?

Thanks for the answer.

Padener

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 04:48
Bunuel wrote:
padener wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks to everybody!

Padener

P.s.

When getting the pattern of the units digit of x^k you should always start with k=1, not k=0.

The red part is not correct: 3^7^11 = 3^77 but 3^(7^11) = 3 to the power of (7^11).

Theory on Exponents: math-number-theory-88376.html
Tips on Exponents: exponents-and-roots-on-the-gmat-tips-and-hints-174993.html

Check Units digits, exponents, remainders problems directory in our Special Questions Directory.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 22:58
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 0

Re: A Tricky Question on Negative Remainders   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 22:58

A Tricky Question on Negative Remainders

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap