Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
beny wrote:
This topic doesn't apply to me, but it's intriguing me based on sheer curiousity...

Would a charge like this show up in the extensive background checks all schools are now implementing? I'd assume that at least part of the background check would entail the contracting company to contact acceptees' undergrad institutions... I would also imagine that this type of question wouldn't be too uncommon. When you say that it's not on your transcript, does that mean there's no record of it at all? Or just not on your transcript...? If there is a record, I think it's likely to be brought up.

I'm not sure about background checks, but I want to go the honest route since the specific question is stlil asked on the application, and I'd fall into the disciplined category...A tough choice but i think it's the right one...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Long winded explanations about how it was an unintentional act are going to come off as excuse ridden...

Ignoring it could work, but it could also spectacularly backfire - even months after you've been admitted. So thats probably not a good choice.

In my view, there is only way to address this issue. Own up to it, explain it was a tremendous mistake, and categorically and emphatically indicate it won't happen again.

For instance, I might write: "Regrettably, in 1923, I copied a small portion of an article into an essay. Young and inexperienced, I didn't adequately consider the implications of doing so, and as a result I was put on academic probation. This poor decision has been something I continue to find embarrassing and disappointing. In the seven years since, I have matured greatly and am confident that I would never make such a mistake again."

Something like that....

Thanks for your thoughts, rhyme.

The problem is this happened in my last year of college which makes it a lot worse. I had a completely clean record/school experience right up to the couple weeks before graduation! I guess it was just all the madness and chaos that made me so hasty - and i know that's a poor excuse but it's the truth. I don't want to "spin" it this way or that but what if the truth just doesn't even sound acceptable?

And I wished this happened super long ago, but just 3 years, so...

Further thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
cliff814 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Long winded explanations about how it was an unintentional act are going to come off as excuse ridden...

Ignoring it could work, but it could also spectacularly backfire - even months after you've been admitted. So thats probably not a good choice.

In my view, there is only way to address this issue. Own up to it, explain it was a tremendous mistake, and categorically and emphatically indicate it won't happen again.

For instance, I might write: "Regrettably, in 1923, I copied a small portion of an article into an essay. Young and inexperienced, I didn't adequately consider the implications of doing so, and as a result I was put on academic probation. This poor decision has been something I continue to find embarrassing and disappointing. In the seven years since, I have matured greatly and am confident that I would never make such a mistake again."

Something like that....

Thanks for your thoughts, rhyme.

The problem is this happened in my last year of college which makes it a lot worse. I had a completely clean record/school experience right up to the couple weeks before graduation! I guess it was just all the madness and chaos that made me so hasty - and i know that's a poor excuse but it's the truth. I don't want to "spin" it this way or that but what if the truth just doesn't even sound acceptable?

And I wished this happened super long ago, but just 3 years, so...

Further thoughts?

I wouldn't really change your story much... I mean, unless you've got something thats just plumb silly like "I attached the file my roomate wrote in the email to the prof instead of my document by mistake." .... I would stick to the "I'm a gone done f***d up, I'm a real sorry, me knows better, I no do it again, ever ever ever, because I now more mature" story....

I'd simply say that it was a foolish mistake made in during your somewhat less mature undergraduate years (dont draw attention to the year) and stick with the above concept.

Theres not a lot you can do beyond that really. Just be glad you aren't this guy:

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=1799

He had his offer rescinded this year.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]