Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1805 [2]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Accuracy or completion [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi billionaire999,

Many Test Takers face pacing issues in the Quant section, the Verbal section or both – so you are not alone. However, it's important to remember that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so If you find that you have to 'rush' through a block of questions at the end of each section, then it's likely that "your way" is the "long way" (and there could also be general inefficiencies in how you are reading and taking notes that are costing you time). You could potentially hit a Score Goal based on the plan that you're asking about, but if you're interested in scoring at a really high level overall, then you have to be able to correctly answer all of the 'gettable' questions (including the ones at appear at the ends of each section). Since any unanswered questions are 'penalized' (and the penalty is worse than if you had simply gotten the questions wrong), then you should make sure to answer every question in each section.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What "brands" of CATs/mocks have you taken?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Probably a good idea to not get a string of questions incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
It is a good question... there is not a ton of evidence. Most strategies that result in the best score assume that you answer as many hard questions correctly as possible... and also assumes that you give every question the fair chance. Based on our GMAT prep software analysis, there is indeed support in the factory if you get the first 20 or so questions right, the rest doesn’t seem to matter a whole lot but in the real test you wouldn’t know if you got all the questions right. That’s usually where the strategy falls apart...

I would say you need to improve your decision which questions to let go of and perhaps speed.... most questions should be doable in 2 mins. I noticed that if I couldn’t solve a question in two minutes, there’s a good chance I wouldn’t solve it in three either. I would end up burning time and then guessing. Are you noticing the same about you?

Posted from my mobile device

I do understand what youre trying to say.
But at times I am able to accurately get high level Geometry sums at a time north of 3 mins. Along with some quadratic and counting method sums.

In such a scenario should I leave the question and move on or spend the extra 60-75 seconds and get it right.

Also will the negative impact on the score be greater when I fail to answer a 15-20 number question accurately or 25-31 number question?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hovkial wrote:
billionaire999 wrote:

I find it that if I spend higher time attempting questions from 1–20 and going quickly and aiming for only a 20% accuracy in the last 10 or so questions I score better.

I wanted to to know if this strategy will be successful on the actual GMAT.

Also in a scenario where I have 10 minutes left and 10 questions left to answer,
Should I aim for accuracy or Aim to complete all questions.

If you are getting more questions correct in the first phases of the exam, then your score will tend to be higher than when you get them wrong. This is simply because the scoring is adaptive and you will be rewarded as you get more and harder questions correct.

How was your accuracy in the questions before these last 10 questions? If your goal is to get higher scores and assuming you did well in the previous questions, then answering all the questions, correctly or otherwise, would help you. Again this assumes you did well, i.e., answered harder questions correctly, in the previous phases. If you did not do this, then correctly answering the remaining questions would be better for you. You should still aim to complete all the questions because leaving questions unanswered will reduce your score.

If your goal is to score in the high percentiles, then both accuracy and speed are important. If you have lesser goals, then you could consider the above strategy. And do remember that during the exam, you may not know whether you are answering most questions correctly. So you would need to make concessions accordingly.

I did read other articles stating the same. But will these methods be replicated on actual GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi billionaire999,

Many Test Takers face pacing issues in the Quant section, the Verbal section or both – so you are not alone. However, it's important to remember that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so If you find that you have to 'rush' through a block of questions at the end of each section, then it's likely that "your way" is the "long way" (and there could also be general inefficiencies in how you are reading and taking notes that are costing you time). You could potentially hit a Score Goal based on the plan that you're asking about, but if you're interested in scoring at a really high level overall, then you have to be able to correctly answer all of the 'gettable' questions (including the ones at appear at the ends of each section). Since any unanswered questions are 'penalized' (and the penalty is worse than if you had simply gotten the questions wrong), then you should make sure to answer every question in each section.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
2) What study materials have you used so far? What "brands" of CATs/mocks have you taken?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

When You say "You could potentially hit a Score Goal based on the plan that you're asking about, but if you're interested in scoring at a really high level overall, then you have to be able to correctly answer all of the 'gettable' questions (including the ones at appear at the ends of each section). Since any unanswered questions are 'penalized' (and the penalty is worse than if you had simply gotten the questions wrong), then you should make sure to answer every question in each section."

Are you certain about this? Is it tried and tested on the actual GMAT?

Studies:
ANS Ive been studying from Late November, but had a break in early January. I put in about 25-30 hours a week, over the last couple weeks I've been putting in about 35 hours.

ANS.
GSP Quants, Manhattan Quants, Veritas all topics, OG 2020
3 Kaplan2020, 4 Princeton 2021, 2 Veritas

A mock every Sunday for the past couple of months.
started of
Q46 V 33 Princeton
Q44 V 35 Kaplan
Q47 V 33 Veritas
Q47 V 33princeton
Q45 V 36 Kaplan
Q47 V 37 Veritas
Q 48 V 37Princeton
Q49 V 38 kaplan
Q49 V 40 Princeton

Goals:
Intake 2022
Rotman
MgGill
Uni of Melbourne
Oxford
LBS
National Uni of Singapore
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
billionaire999 wrote:
Hello people,
Often I find myself scrambling for time in both sections of my gmat mock.

I find it that if I spend higher time attempting questions from 1–20 and going quickly and aiming for only a 20% accuracy in the last 10 or so questions I score better.

Also in a scenario where I have 10 minutes left and 10 questions left to answer,

Hi billionaire999,

Try to answer as many questions correctly as possible. As you get a string of questions right, the level keeps increasing and you will be served with 700+ questions which will eventually help you reach a higher score on GMAT. It's ok to run out of time for last 5 questions. You can go through the recordings below to understand the GMAT algorithm and a few test taking strategies.

Hope it helped. Feel free to get in touch if you need any more help with the study strategy.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi billionaire999,

Since you seem to have some timing issues, I actually have two great articles that I'd like you to check out.

GMAT Verbal Timing Strategy

Timing Strategies For a Higher GMAT Quant Score

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1805 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
billionaire999 wrote:
Hovkial wrote:
billionaire999 wrote:

If you are getting more questions correct in the first phases of the exam, then your score will tend to be higher than when you get them wrong. This is simply because the scoring is adaptive and you will be rewarded as you get more and harder questions correct.

How was your accuracy in the questions before these last 10 questions? If your goal is to get higher scores and assuming you did well in the previous questions, then answering all the questions, correctly or otherwise, would help you. Again this assumes you did well, i.e., answered harder questions correctly, in the previous phases. If you did not do this, then correctly answering the remaining questions would be better for you. You should still aim to complete all the questions because leaving questions unanswered will reduce your score.

If your goal is to score in the high percentiles, then both accuracy and speed are important. If you have lesser goals, then you could consider the above strategy. And do remember that during the exam, you may not know whether you are answering most questions correctly. So you would need to make concessions accordingly.

I did read other articles stating the same. But will these methods be replicated on actual GMAT?

Your statement is unclear. What do you mean by "replicated on actual GMAT"? The term "replication" has a proper meaning in the scientific literature and your statement does not correspond to it.

Make your theory clearer as to why something may or may not "replicate". A one-liner provides insufficient discussion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi billionaire999,

Since you seem to have some timing issues, I actually have two great articles that I'd like you to check out.

Thanks! it helps

Can you suggest if is should leave high level RC questions. My accuracy on the same has been terrible and I seem to spend longer than usual on them.

I am targeting 730-750.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
billionaire999 wrote:
Hi billionaire999,

Thanks! it helps

Can you suggest if is should leave high level RC questions. My accuracy on the same has been terrible and I seem to spend longer than usual on them.

I am targeting 730-750.

I am targeting 730-750.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
billionaire999 wrote:
billionaire999 wrote:
Hi billionaire999,

Thanks! it helps

I am targeting 730-750.

I am targeting 730-750.

I would not recommend that. I think you need to keep practicing RC to improve your skills for those questions.
GMAT Club Bot